Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Days off/ sick days

Old 06-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Just another thought. Too many written rules and regulations make for a contentious workplace as people try to interpret the rules to their own benefit.

Wording of the rules is very important.

I once was in a dispute with an employer over a rule that they claimed was in writing - I was shown the written item and it was so badly written, in such mangled language that it only served to further muddy the waters rather than clarify anything. That was a union shop by the way and I was the shop steward at the time.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2003, 03:51 PM
I sort of like the way my husbands new job handles vacation/sick days.

Accumulation started when he did, with so many hours of free time earned for each 40 hours of work. (I'm not sure of the exact ratio, I think it's something like 2 hrs vacation for every 40 hrs work.) By the end of the first month, he'd earned 8 hours "vacation". This also counts toward sick days. So by the end of the first year, he will have earned 12 or 13 days.

This was a big help to us when we had a situation where he needed to be available on a workday not long after he had started. He had accumulated enough hours so that he could take the day off.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2003, 07:54 AM
That part is true PM -- the bottom line is the people you hire!

Tyeise, I like that structure for days off/sick days! A "reward" system is a great incentive for some employees. As long as you have the rules established up front it's pretty simple. Sure, there will be some cases where you may want to make exceptions, but having the ground work laid out is crucial.

That program I mentioned has that as one of the option ( I think) or you can set it up as such. The nice thing about it was that it covered a lot of little things that normally may be overlooked. (I'm beginning to sound like one of their sales reps, aren't I? )
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs