Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Advice To the Beginner

Old 08-31-2001, 10:05 AM
Advice To the Beginner

Lets suppose that the local Highschool asks you to give a presentation on "career day" or some such occasion to a group of soon to graduate Seniors. What advice would you give them concerning this line of work as a career. What educational goals should they aim for, what educational level should they "go for", technical school, University---what? What personal attributes are pluses and which are minuses? Who should consider perhaps another line of work? Is artistic talent a "must" and so on. Remember, you are talking to a bunch of high-flying kids who have yet to really get their feet wet in the real world. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 11:22 AM
this is a really thought provoking question, tom

i have noticed that few of us regularly represented here are dewy-eyed youths, except amanda (dewy-eyed youths, speak up, make your presence felt.)

and that our "career paths", if i dare call them that, have been less than straight forward to downright meandering.

so how would i advise child on straightforward entry into - what? photo restoration, period?

if it was my aim to do no more, no less, and i were starting from scratch, i would love to have had a much stronger background in both computers and photography. altho any current hs graduate will be much more computer savvy than i at that, or prob this, age. i guess i am thinking art/design leaning is a given; almost that they wouldn't be interested in the first place unless they had those gifts; i would think them essential. eye-training, form, composition, color all those are key and to some degree innate but requiring lifelong honing. so i am focusing chiefly on what i lack.

but i also wonder, given total fluency in photoshop or other graphics programs, would i have chosen this route as a young'un, and if it would appeal, i.e., i bet there are more of that age bracket who would gravitate to animation/special effects type stuff, stuff i am only barely aware of.

working at home, home alone!, as it seems most of us are, you would have to be a self-starter, disciplined, motivated.

whew. this is quite a question. now you have me really wondering if restoration per se would have much appeal to the very young. i feel they would be more inclined to manipulation. eager to see how this thread develops.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 12:45 PM
It would depend on what they would enjoy doing. Some might like getting into photo restoration and working for them selves. However I would suggest they study business, Photography and maybe venture into the photo finishing business with restoration being just a part of the whole package. Or if they are in to working in the corporate world, then a degree in Arts and Computer Graphics would be the way to go. Maybe be even webdesign.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 01:40 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Some very good points have been brought up. About the only thing I would add is becoming educated on photographic history -- time periods of the processes -- the processing technique itself, and the proper handling and restoration of those specimen that are left.

Of course there are many people who couldn't care less about photographs *or* history. They might prefer to play in a band, or build houses, or become doctors, or ------------- . If there is no interest to begin with, I think it is probably best for them not to waste their time with it. But I guess you could always take them into the darkroom, and show them what it looks like when that print pops in the developer. That'd do it!

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 04:30 PM
My advice.....First find a regular paying job.

Ok, seriously.

This is a list of the things I've done, wish I'd done, or intend to do, and so would advise others:
1. Marketing (yourself and your work)
2. Learn enough about Photoshop to use it effectively, but not fry your brain with too much knowledge.
3. Research your market - where are the big bucks, and demands for your line of work.
4. Drawing class- it helps
5. Learn the practice of photography - specifically the practice of taking pictures throughout history.
6. Business
7. If you can, find a mentor/master restoration artist to learn from.
8. Practice, practice, practice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 07:38 PM
Hmmmm. When I was in high school I never even considered the idea of "working at home." I guess for some reason this seemed "bad." I for one wasn't ready to make a career decision at that time--but did anyway, and today I find myself heading in a totally different direction. I think this happens a lot. High school students, when they are seniors, are expected to make a "decision" regarding "what are you going to be when you grow up," even though only a small percentage of them know what they really want at that age.

If I were talking to high school students I would probably advise them to start off at a community college--and just take the basic classes. If they think they are interested in photo restoration they could learn about this on the side--I'd advise them to learn the basics of photography and photo development. Maybe ask them to do a really complicated puzzle to see if they have the patience. Some knowledge of graphic design would help and definitely computer skills although this is pretty much a given. Definitely marketing skills too--especially if they want to work at home. After two years of college all the basic courses would be done, and by now they should have a better idea if photo restoration is what they really want to do. If not, no time or money has been wasted, and they could explore another field.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs