Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Anecdotes from your retouching jobs

Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Re: Anecdotes from your retouching jobs

ok 73 pics to retouch... the same theme: Take out the male figure in them.

An ex wife came to me with this request... Can it be done?

-Sure... but if you don't want pictures with your ex on them, why don't you get ride of them?

and she told me: This pictures are a part of my life. He is not part of my life any more. I just want to look at my pictures and not have to see his ugly face.

Work done... the client is always right. Right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 11:58 AM

Great stories!
Earlier this year, a young woman emailed me to ask if I could combine a couple of pictures into one portrait which she then wanted a Giclee print on artpaper done in digital oil. Of course, we do this all the time.

I received three photos: one of the young woman in a dress in an airport setting with her hand placed lightly on the shoulder of a little girl. One of the same woman seated, which was much clearer shot of her face and one of a young man sitting on a couch leaning forward. The photo of the man was taken inside and was just a poor photo; bad lighting, out of focus, etc. I asked the client if she had a better photo of the man. No, that was the only one. I got to work and combined the two photos of the gal, removed some of the child, cut in the young man and positioned him correctly so it looked as he was sitting next to the gal with her hand on his shoulder. I corrected the lighting and matched the colors of the images, took them into Painter which really helped blend the photos, put in a new background and viola! I was very happy with the outcome of the portrait. I upload the proofs for the client's review. The next day I received another email from Shelly. She told me she had started crying when she saw the portrait. The man in the photo had been her fiance. They had planned to have an engagement photo taken, however, before that happened, the young man had been killed in a motorcycle accident. Anyway, she said some very nice things in her email and approved the proof.

At the time, I was outsourcing my printing and when I received the print, the tube it was in, was crushed and the artwork was ruined. I emailed Shelly telling her what had happened and explained it would be a couple of more days. She told me not to worry and good things come to those who wait. Wow, what a spirit! I received another email from her when she received the artwork. It was very emotional; she told me I was her angel and she had never dreamed she would have such a beautiful memory of the love she had lost. Wow! We exchanged a couple of emails and in one she told me her mother-in-law was floored when she saw the painting and would very much like to have one. We discussed a discounted price for the dup, but then she emailed me and said her mother-in-law just couldn't afford it. All of the work was done and it really didn't cost me that much to send her mom a duplicate.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 01:56 PM

I don't know if I could tell this story without using names, but I'll try. Hopefully it will still be interesting. About ten years ago when both I and Photoshop were still new, I had a client come in asking for what seemed like an impossible retouch job. It was a photograph of a quite famous old man who appeared in many commercials touting toilet bowl cleaners (maybe you can guess who it was?). Anyway, the photo was of him sitting behind a desk and in front of him on the desk were all his products -- probably around 12 or so packages.

I was asked to "just remove the products." It took a while for me to explain to them that removing the products meant having to rebuild the subject's arms, which were folded across his chest. Their response was always, "Can't you just erase those boxes?"

Anyway, after many hours rebuilding the photo to make an empty desk with this man seated behind it with his arms folded, I finally got a decent outcome. They were thrilled.

After it was all over, I asked them, "Why didn't you just reshoot without the products?" Their answer was, "Because that crazy old man is so difficult to work with!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Smile Re: Anecdotes from your retouching jobs

Hi! all. This story is pre Photoshop...So me and a colleague were working in a lab. One old farmer came and then showed us an image of him and his twin brother when they were young in a farm. Creased, pleated, about the size of the carte-de-visite (calling card) alongside with the negative in an enveloppe. The problem was that he was standing in front of the camera, and his brother was standing back to the camera. The old man wanted us "to turn his brother the other way round". We asked him if he had another picture of his brother, he said he hasn't. We said that it could be tricky. He was shocked and told us "you are not professionnals, take the negative and turn it upside down". It was hard not to laugh. We tried to explain that it didn't work like that but at a moment the guy was so stubborn that my mate had an idea. She said we can do that but it will cost you some money...The guy mumbled, haggled, and eventually was OK with the price. I was looking at my colleage strangely as I didn't have the slightest idea of was she was about to do. Back to the lab, she took the negative, turned it over, copied it, cut off the two back portraits, printed the two identical guys, painted some differences in eyes and mouth on it...and voila. The guy recognised his brother and was very happy! He was right at the end, we had to turn the negative :-) I'm still laughing about that "joke".

Last edited by 4personnen; 10-19-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 PM

That kind of reminds me of this

Which happened much closer to you than me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 02:40 AM

It was the day when you could make a profit minutes after buying your camera...Quite funny. I'm surprised he doesn't talk about running away from cricket bats and bruises and broken fingers (London is not Las Vegas) :-)

People seem to think the camera will do anything. We actually persuade them that it will mesmerise them. After their portrait is taken, we ask them if they would like to be mesmerised by the camera, and the charge is only 2 d. We then focus the camera, and tell them to look firm at the tube; and they stop there for two or three minutes staring, till their eyes begin to water, and then they complain of a dizziness in the head, and give it up, saying they "can"t stand it.
This one 's awesome...

I also profess to remove warts, which I do by touching them with nitric acid. My price is a penny a wart, or a shilling for the job; for some of the hands is pretty well smothered with them. You see, we never turn money away, for it"s hard work to make a living at sixpenny portraits. My wart patients seldom come twice, for they screams out ten thousand blue murders when the acid bites them.
Real life retouching...:-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 AM

Several (many) years ago, I was working in a prepress shop- this was when the Mac FX I was working on was by far the state of the art. We received a very complex retouching request from an important client, and although I forget the specifics of it, it was extremely difficult and way beyond my and my coworkers experience at that time. Three days of stressful hovering by my boss, and many proofs and FX crashes later, the job was finally done. The client stopped in herself to review the proof, and to everyone's relief, she loved it. I can still hear her words of praise even after all these years: "Wow! That computer sure does good work!".
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Well, we had a client who was fed up of finding solutions for bringing traffic to his site before he contacted us to help him out in this matter. He was not sure that even we can sort out his problems, but when we successfully brought ample traffic to his site with the use of our unique techniques, he still praises us. It was a sort of honor for us that we solved the problem that was never solved by any other service provider. We rather call it an anecdote of success! What about your anecdote?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs