RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How to get all the business you can handle doing restorations/retouching?

Old 09-12-2003, 11:43 PM

Hi Jim,

That is a wonderful idea, THANKS!

I, for one, would really appreciate a story board shot and an idea as to how the talk is structured. I currently volunteer at the local senior center teaching photography - they have a geneology group that this would be perfect to get my feet wet with. Public speaking is NOT my forte - but if the structure can help walk me through it I am deffinently up to giving it a try.

Thanks, Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2003, 02:21 PM

I'll see if I can get something up here by the end of next week. The Senior Center is a totally logical contact that for some unknown reason I've skipped over! Maybe I can cop out with a plea based on my old age! :-) Anyway, thanks for mentioning it - a very good idea for me to follow up on!

Last week I did one for the local Framers Association - two good orders on referrals within two days and those are the type people that I can count on to "keep on giving" when it comes to referrals.

The Framers Assn. is a great group to work with - our referrals generally came from ones that have sources for digital but also an understanding of the need for traditional fiber based prints! (Of course we explain these differences in the lectures). Because of the traditional lab work involved, I know this is not for everyone here but it gives you some idea of the success and quick returns for your effort in doing local lectures

Even if you don't like public speaking I think most of you would find it easy. Building the story-boards is what takes the time. From that point on, it's show and tell! As Fulgham would put this - "Everything I ever knew I learned in Kindergarten!". (about presentations anyway) .

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2003, 01:00 AM

Hi Jim,

I would be interested in seeing your story boards as well - when you've got the time. I've often thought about giving talks as well - just have to find the time to put one together!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2003, 01:35 PM

Re: how to get good customers

Hi Jim,

I also am interested in learning more about the story boards and what you cover at your lectures. I'm also not eager to get into public speaking but it does seem one of the very best ways to attract customers in this business.

A number of people have been suggesting to make up a powerpoint presentation to present to a group; what do you think of that idea??

If you were going to speak to a group of seniors, what topic would you cover with them??

All the best,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2003, 01:29 PM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/message/538

This is a link to one of the sites that has a copy of an article I wrote some time back on "wills" that was sent to hundreds of attorneys.

It could be a good starting point for putting togeather a lecture for Seniors.

I'll get to the storyboards posting sometime soon but for now am taking off on a short but very much needed vacation!

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2003, 07:38 AM

I really like the restoration flyer you did, Roger. I've never thought of making a flyer but looking at yours I think I'm going to try with your idea in mind..not copy.

Living in a country with few jobs of any kind available has created a need for me to find some way to supplement my chomage.
At the moment I sell used english books for the few people who have a need for this. But, I don't push it and it doesn't do much. I am hoping to add greeting cards and art work to my site soon in spite of hearing it won't work, there's too many etc.. My therapist once told me, "if it enhances your life and you have the capabilities then do it." It can only flop and I won't be any worse off than I am now. I will also get much pleasure during the creating process.

In the area I live in there are many beautiful cards for sell at the local shop but they are outrageously expensive in comparison to the states where they are a dime a dozen. It's impossible to find a box of cards. So as it nears the holidays I am working on greeting cards in French and English. I have hopes since I am only needing to make a little supplemental income. I'm also going to offer basic photo editing which I am up to. I joined this group to learn the hard stuff. I haven't yet worked out the pricing but it will have to be inexpensive as I am a beginner and it's hard to begin anything new in France. I will sell the cards from my site along with books. I have been including a card and advertising bookmark with orders just to give people a taste of what's to come.

Sorry to get carried away but I got excited when I saw there was a forum on business. Any ideas for me would be appreciated. Greeting cards are about Photo Art to.

Loved your site, Vicky..clean, attractive, easy loading and to the point. I love that font!

Blu
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2003, 08:30 PM

Thanks Blu!
The font is ShellyVolante

Regarding your card business. I was wondering if you'll receive enought business through the internet.
Have you thought about making up some boxes of cards and seeing if you could persuade a local gift shop to sell them (of course they would receive a percentage of the proceeds)? If the price is right, everyone will profit.

Your therapist has good advice!
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2003, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the advice Vikki and letting me know the font. I'll have to see if I have it.

I've yet to find a place locally that sells the boxes I need. I'm going to have to find what I need on the web. I had the same problem when looking for the finishing spray I needed. I ended up buying from a company on the internet and it took forever for it to get here.

Blu
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2004, 01:25 PM

starting out

Diane,

I am new to photo restoration and greatly appreciated reading the thread you started regarding getting enough business! I'm sure I enjoyed the postings at least as much as you did.

Thanks,
Tangerine
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2004, 07:14 PM

Thanks, Tangerine.

You are definitely starting out in the right place! Retouch PRo is a fabulous resource and it is amazing how helpful people are! You can really learn a tremendous amount here.

Good Luck on your retouching efforts! What kind of business are you starting?

Diane
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs