RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How to get all the business you can handle doing restorations/retouching?

Old 01-07-2004, 12:24 PM

starting out

Diane,

I'm interested in photo restoration and retouch, though I am fairly new to it. I'm trying to figure out if I can earn enough money to call it a job (even a part-time job) or if it can yield only enough for a hobby.

What are you doing? Have you taken Ed's advice about the 3 months of Saturdays? I'm considering it.

Tangerine
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2004, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine
Diane,

I'm interested in photo restoration and retouch, though I am fairly new to it. I'm trying to figure out if I can earn enough money to call it a job (even a part-time job) or if it can yield only enough for a hobby.

What are you doing? Have you taken Ed's advice about the 3 months of Saturdays? I'm considering it.

Tangerine
Hi Tangerine,

The best source for finding retouching work, I have found, is targeting photo labs, studios and photographers. After doing a few pieces for a studio, they just called me to help them with a big job restoring 20 or so pieces damaged in a fire... I observe the Sabbath on Saturdays so I'm not able to follow Roger's suggestion so closely, but I have had a table at two fairs and had about half a dozen prospective customers from each who have yet to follow up with me and I wasn't able to get their contact information without being too pushy...

But my advice is to first build up your skills until you are really good before trying to earn a living at doing restorations and retouching. It turns out I've been doing things the hard way, starting my business at this before my skills were really advanced and then getting work where I'm paid maybe $40 for a piece that takes me sometimes 15 hours, sometimes more. Until you're really good, it's hard to tell how long something will take.

Diane
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs