RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Window Decals

Old 09-08-2001, 12:52 PM

oh okay Tom,

Guess this slow thingking country life is rubbing off on me..LOL.

I thought perhaps that was the case but just checking to see if everyone is thinking as hard as I am today!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 07:13 PM

Looking for good material sources

This is something I've been interested in as well but my problem has been finding good materials for ink jet. I'm looking for some white interior window cling stock and white exterior adhesive stock - if you know of a good source, please let me know.

I intend to print a 3 color decal with my Epson Photo 1270. Ideally I'd like to find sheets with 2.75 or 3 inch pre-cut circles. For the exterior adhesive, vinyl would be nice. If not pre-cut, I'd need either a die cutter (expensive) or some sort of reliable circle cutter.

I have seen some weather proofing sprays to use for inkjet but don't know how reliable they are or cost effective. Had also though I could distribute the decal along with a square sheet of some clear 'weather proof' material to apply over it after application to a window or bumper.

Alternately, anybody have an experience with a printing service for decals? I'd rather do this myself because of low volume but I could probably see an order for 250 -300 of one particular decal that I want to have printed.

I was looking at http://www.websticker.com and http://www.stickerguy.com but have experience with neither.

-Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2001, 08:56 PM

Scott. Try the following link, I know that they carry circular cutters which are very sturdy( used to cut material for buttons-- the cutter is a cast iron device) and spray coatings for ink jet prints. Hope this is some help. http://www.prostudiousa.com/eq.htm . Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2001, 01:23 PM

Thanks Tom,

While I have seen a lot of circle cutter items associated with button assembly machines, I don't actually want to mess with the button part. I just want to cut stickers/decals out, but finding a good cutter seems to be a challenge.

Here is a page that lists some 'cheap' circle cutters (swore I'd never buy another Fiskars product):

http://www.cutnfun.com/cutters.htm

Here's an overpriced cutter that I'd like to find a comparitive cost on, but haven't been able to so far:

http://www.buttonsonline.com/cutter.html

Here's some vinyl stock I'd try but the cost isn't good, 10 sheets at $16.00:

http://www.paper-paper.com/bumper_stickers.html

The same company also sells their own protective spray, at $8 for a 4 oz can. Wonder how long that would last?

-Scott

Last edited by sburris; 09-09-2001 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2001, 02:20 PM

Scott, The sprays I played around with seemed to do a pretty good job of providing protection here, but, since this is a low humidity area I really cant say how they would work else where. The one thing about the sprays that I didnt like very much was the fumes , you really must be in a well ventilated area to use them and some sort of protective mask similar to what is used in Body and Paint shops is a pretty good idea.They also need to be applied under the right temp. conditions as well. Thanks for the links!. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2001, 12:38 PM

Sticker Stock

Decided to try this vendor for sticker stock. Would be no problem if I had a wide format printer (24 plus inches), but finding a good outlet for this material has proven to be difficult.

Source: http://www.mcgpaper.com

Ordered: 20 sheets of 8.5 x 11, white, vinyl adhesive backed for $29.93.

Their e-commerce is setup as a Yahoo store. They do take most credit cards, shipping via UPS w/ order tracking.

I'll report back on the product once it arrives and I get a chance to play with it. Now if I can only find a good circle cutter!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2001, 06:33 PM

Scott, Thanks for the link. Let us know what the quality of the paper you bought is and if you think it will work. I am still looking for circle cutters but have not had a whole lot of success. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2001, 08:01 PM

Vinyl stock arrives

The vinyl sticker paper with adhesive backing arrived.

The package was folded and stuck into the mail box....the material, 50 sheets in all, is in good shape. I guess the vinyl didn't hold the fold, I was relieved.

Have done a test print, it looks good but need to find the optimal ink setting for my Epson 1270.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2001, 04:04 PM

Scott, Dont you just love it when items labeled "Dont...." arrive looking as though they had been shipped via the Titanic? Have you tried the setting for transparency in the printing setup? What resolution are you printing at, and how doed the ink react to the vinyl--smears? Bleeding out to surrounding areas, etc. Thanks for the info and keep up the good work. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2001, 10:33 PM

Print settings

Thomas,

No problems with bleeding, only smearing has come on the edges at the transition between the vinyl and the backing. The vinyl is a millimeter or two inset on all four edges but it's only a wisp or two of smear off the first pass or so.

Print settings. I confess to NOT knowing what the heck these settings actually do as far as laying the ink down.

First I tried the Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper setting....mistake. Colors were muted.

Next tried Photo Paper setting. Color much better. The dark blue came out just right. Only problem color was a sky blue I tried but I think I goofed on the image prep.

The vinyl is not gloss coated, more matte. I think that a thin cold laminate might pop it up nicely.

More experimentation as time goes by....still waiting on my circle cutter. Also printed some more complex shapes, will play with different cutting methods for those.

-Scott

Last edited by sburris; 09-16-2001 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs