Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Window Decals

Old 09-15-2001, 10:30 PM
Scott, Thanks for the details. Very helpful!!! Have you tried setting the print quality from High to Medium on the first window that pops up when you initiate the print command from the file menu window? I found that this is sometimes necessary, as well as printing at the 720 dpi setting in the print set up menu ( found by pressing the the Advanced button) when printing on matte paper, otherwise I notice the same color degradation you mention. Just a thought. Keep up the good work and let uo know how things are progressing !! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 11:35 AM
Decal Update

I've printed a small series of test runs and can report some results. My decals are three color, 2.75 inch circles. On a 8.5 x 11 sheet of adhesive backed, white vinyl stock I'm printing 8 decals per page.

Example of stock I'm using here:

The optimal ink setting for my Epson Stylus Photo 1270 has turned out to be "Photo Paper". Note that standard Epson ink is NOT waterproof. My solution for this problem was to obtain some cold (manual) application laminate sheets. Laying these over my printed sheet of decals has worked nicely. I use a non-abrasive cloth or tissue to "rub in" the laminate over the decal area and the results are very satisfactory.

Now the hard part, cutting the decals. The cutter I obtained does cut nice circles, but the problem for me has been alignment.

Cutter 2nd from top here:

IF you can line up the cutter in the exact middle, cuts should be easy. I have four point reference marks printed with each decal. With those guides, I draw a center cross on the back of the decal page, line up the cutter and cut from the back. Unfortunately, my rejection rate for off center cuts is running between 30 & 50% per 8 decals a page.

Perhaps another cutter would solve this problem, but am not sure what type that might be. A die stamp would seem to be the best choice; however then you are restricted to the die size and they're not exactly cheap.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 02:49 PM
Probably some sort of die/stamp cutter based on the arbor press design or something similar would cut way down on the miscuts, but those are, as you said, expensive and you are restricted in what type of cuts and the size of the cuts you can make, although for circular type I seem to recall that 3-4 inch are pretty popular sizes. Have you looked into any of the roller type devices for applying cold laminate? Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs