RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Salary Quote for Full-Time Retouching Position?

Old 02-26-2004, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah
If I were interviewing someone who suddenly mentioned being willing to take periodic drug tests without being asked, I would be fairly freaked - my reaction would be much more "Whoa! What kind of a working environment is this guy used to?" than "My goodness, what a clean living and responsible individual". Much the same if they started telling me how they never came to work drunk or hungover.

I agree with you that those jobs from Monster look like they are for people with either a different skill set (more creative/illustration based) or more experience than you.
I have to agree. As an employeer if one of my prospectives told me I could drug test them at anytime I would be a little concerned

Let them do the asking, you don't want to look like you are hiding something by being so upfront (sounds weird, but true).

As for the salary, I agree those jobs are exactly what you are talking about, but in New York city, doing professional computer work of any kind I would expect 35-40k starting salary personally.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2004, 03:09 PM

i have to chime in here, too. as a person who has done my own share of "experimentation" in my early 20s, and who years later has had a bit of hiring experience, i'd be very suspect of an interviewee who suddenly brought up the issue of partying, drug testing, etc. My knee-jerk reaction would be to think perhaps this person has a drug problem or has had bad work experiences in the past. I think your best bet is to show yourself to be a responsible, reliable, and qualified candidate in the way your present yourself and by demonstrating previous successes, etc.

good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2004, 05:58 PM

Got an informal offer...

All,

Thanks so much for all your advice and information. Really useful to me.

I spoke with my laison at the company today to schedule another interview -- with the two presidents of the company, the head of HR and the head of their techology group. Since I only saw six people when I visited there on Monday, I assume these are the bigwigs from the parent company. Regardless, looking forward to the interview; it's scheduled on Monday and I will give you all a status update then.

But, for the time being, something to mull over -- the lady said, "At this point, we're thinking of offering you 33k." I told her that I would think about that and discuss it with the people on Monday.

According to all I've read and all of your advice (and the advice I've gathered on a few other forums), this is in line with the idea that this position is not the creative/design type position mentioned above, like we thought. It also seems a bit low compared to some of the other numbers I've heard.

Now, I am young and I've never had this type of position before...but, I've got a rocking education and excellent work experience for somebody of my age. Even more importantly, I've shown them what I can do and they were, as she said today, "very impressed with your effeciency and ability." I think I've got a good bargaining position here.

Do you think this is a bit low for this type of job? Any suggestions on how I should go about the negotiation? I guess I'm looking for specific things that might work, or have worked for you in the past. I've got the general idea from my reading on the job board/salary information sites.

I appreciate your help very much!

Best regards,

~gabriel
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2004, 06:30 PM

Well, 33k does seem to be on the low end.
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably be thinking along these lines:

First of all, can you afford to accept that salary.
What are your chances of getting a job somewhere else, doing the same thing, for more money?
What benefits are included? A great benefits package can offset a lower salary. What about vacations, holidays, 401k's, and health insurance? Flexible work schedule?
If the salary starts at 33k, at what rate will the salary increase? Is it possible to negotiate an automatic increase after a specific period of time?
What will be the scope of your position (seems more and more employers are overloading one employee with the work of three).

Back to what I said earlier...regardless of your education and experience, if they have a fixed budget, they will find someone else to fill the position if you are not available for the price they offer. They may really want you, but not be in a position to offer you more money. However, if this is the case, it may give you some leverage when discussing perks.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2004, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
...What will be the scope of your position (seems more and more employers are overloading one employee with the work of three)....

...tell me about it!

33k sounds very low for New York City, but it might be worth it if the job can become a springboard for bigger and better things down the road. It certainly sounds like you would be making some good contacts in the industry...but if it was me, I'd ask for about 37-40k and then see if they meet you halfway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2004, 12:35 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I was wrong

I asked my daughter if she thought it would be a good idea for a young person to bring up the problems of alcohol and drug abuse during an interview. I didn't tell her why I was asking, but I wanted her input because I know her. She can go into an interview, and come out with votes for the Presidency of The United States!! O.K., that's exaggerated, that's the kind of person she is. She shines in situations like that. She said it would be a mistake to bring it up, but rather to focus on all things positive, then indicate that you would be willing to take any tests they might want. These would not by definition, be drug tests, but any test desired. So I was wrong, and I'll admit it. I didn't want to give bad input. I was only trying to give constructive input. I failed this time.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2004, 08:56 PM

Almost the end of the saga...

All,

Again, thanks sooo much for all the advice. Been infinitely worthwhile.

I met with three different bigwigs today, the COO, the CTO and the head of HR. All were from the parent company which is much larger than I thought, 140 people. All were fine interviews. Funny anecdote: The CTO was *very* distracted when I met with him but finally got his act together enough to ask me, "In what instances would you want to dodge or burn an image?" I responded, "Well, I would never actually dodge or burn an image, but instead create a 50% grey layer and dodge and burn that, using an Overlay or Soft Light blending mode to preserve my "negative."" Only after finishing that spiel did I realize that he was really just trying to assess whether or not I knew what the dodge and burn tools do...

But, without further distractions -- They made an official offer and I learned just how bad of a negotiator I am. It was pretty much laid out for me, the person I was speaking with was clear that she didn't want to do any negotiating. I did try to get the health benefits to kick in immediately instead of in two months, we'll see if that works out. Salary is 33k. Good healthcare, etc.

I am a little disappointed that I rolled over so easily. I do believe I do quality work and, judging from some of your opinions, 33k is low for this type of position. But, I was won over by the company. They started in 2001 and 18 months later started spinning out smaller niche companies, like the one I would be working for. It's still in start-up mode and is totally bumping with motivated people. A wholly refreshing change from the hugely bureaucratic non-profit I have been working for the past 4 months. I would sacrifice some money to be in that sort of environment again.

So, I'll get a letter soon and I expect to accept the position. Starting out the last week in March.

Wish me luck!

~g
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2004, 09:00 PM

No sweat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_L
I asked my daughter if she thought it would be a good idea for a young person to bring up the problems of alcohol and drug abuse during an interview. I didn't tell her why I was asking, but I wanted her input because I know her. She can go into an interview, and come out with votes for the Presidency of The United States!! O.K., that's exaggerated, that's the kind of person she is. She shines in situations like that. She said it would be a mistake to bring it up, but rather to focus on all things positive, then indicate that you would be willing to take any tests they might want. These would not by definition, be drug tests, but any test desired. So I was wrong, and I'll admit it. I didn't want to give bad input. I was only trying to give constructive input. I failed this time.

Ed
Ha! Sounds like your daughter is certainly the person to turn to for this sort of advice. Ed, I really appreciate your help, this sort of dialogue is so important to me -- gets me thinking and strategerizing about how to go about my business. Don't sweat it, things have turned out pretty well, even though I discovered exactly how dense my vertebrae actually are.

Best regards,

~g
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2004, 09:24 PM

Well congrats on your new job!
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the negotiations, sounds like you didn't have much choice.
Even though the salary may be lower than you'd like, the good news is that you'll be doing something you love to do.
Best of luck.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2004, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdillon
But, without further distractions -- They made an official offer and I learned just how bad of a negotiator I am. It was pretty much laid out for me, the person I was speaking with was clear that she didn't want to do any negotiating. I did try to get the health benefits to kick in immediately instead of in two months, we'll see if that works out. Salary is 33k. Good healthcare, etc.

I am a little disappointed that I rolled over so easily. I do believe I do quality work and, judging from some of your opinions, 33k is low for this type of position. But, I was won over by the company. They started in 2001 and 18 months later started spinning out smaller niche companies, like the one I would be working for. It's still in start-up mode and is totally bumping with motivated people. A wholly refreshing change from the hugely bureaucratic non-profit I have been working for the past 4 months. I would sacrifice some money to be in that sort of environment again.

So, I'll get a letter soon and I expect to accept the position. Starting out the last week in March.

Wish me luck!

~g
Being happy with the position you are going to be doing, and having benefits definitely outweight worrying about negotiating for a larger salary.

What is important is that you sound happy with it, and that makes all the difference in the world!

Good luck with the position!!

- Noel
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs