RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

$50 Restoration Job

Old 04-26-2004, 04:32 AM

I agree with Noel and others. You ,in effect, made a contract with Flora to do the work for your client. The work was done to your client's satisfaction. The contract completed. Do the honorable thing and make the donation.

kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2004, 04:34 AM

Without trying to make myself sound like an ass, please read carefully the original post before you try to come to any conclusion.

Quote:
You must note this important piece of information: the lady will only be paying if she is satisfied with the work (you may ask why I conduct business like this, but it's a local thing, and a long story). Basically she will probably be satisfied with any decent job - all my customers have been thrilled with the work I give them - they have no idea restoration could be so good.

So, I'm going to be conducting this as a competition - basically whoever submits something I feel as great quality, I will use that one, and show it to her. If she likes it, and pays for it, then I will pay you.
The client never paid for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2004, 05:23 AM

I stand corrected. However, I was referring to the moral issues here, ethics, not the 'fine print'. My views only.
We disagree. Simply that. And isn't it a wonderful and fortuitous circumstance that we CAN!
kiska

Last edited by kiska; 04-26-2004 at 06:05 AM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2004, 07:48 AM

Quote:
you may ask why I conduct business like this, but it's a local thing, and a long story
I'm asking....I'm curious. What's the story?
Maybe I'm jaded, but your "disclaimer" and everything about this job has struck me as odd.
For instance:
Quote:
When I phoned her and talked to her, she told me she was very interested, and sounded very nice and sure to go through with it. I don't know why she isn't responding to me now.
This doesn't make sense to me. You must have met her, to get the photograph, yet "sounded very nice" implies you never met her.....

Last edited by Vikki; 04-26-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2004, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCruz
When I phoned her and talked to her, she told me she was very interested, and sounded very nice and sure to go through with it. I don't know why she isn't responding to me now.

Noelf - I had posted this BEFORE the mix-up was noted.

Duv - You're in Nanaimo too? Uh oh! Maybe you are the one taking all the restoration clients from the city! Hehe. Do you do any restoration work for clients here?
Here's what I think. Tyler you're very young, probably still living at home. You're not listed in the Nanaimo phone book nor does Information have a listing for you. Anyone who puts "HeHe" in a communication to me indicates a degree of immaturity. Either you've just got caught with your finger in the cookie jar or you really didn't think things through properly before starting this thread. I'm a little bit embarrassed that this minor brewhaha has emanated from Nanaimo. Personally, I'm not going to visit this thread again. Flora and me and everyone else plays in this exellent forum for the right reasons. I hope you have learned from this experience.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2004, 09:46 AM

just my two cents, but the responsible and honourable thing to do here would be to suck it up and make the $50 donation to the site.

regardless, the work was done, time and effort were put into it....you solicited it, you are responsible....suck it up and be a man

besides, ripping off artists is really bad karma

and I am damned ashamed to share my nationality with this guy....apologizes on behalf of all the Canadians for the toad.

juliana
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2004, 10:13 AM

This has been an interesting thread to watch, The turn it has taken is disappointing. I think Dave has a pretty fair read on the situation and I agree in general that this has been a lesson in how not to do business. ...actually, a fairly inexpensive one. I've cost myself hundreds of dollars and countless hours of work with my own poor judgement and mis-understanding... many times.
Flora, in my opinion, has sailed through this like the champion I think we all know her to be.

TylerCruz, at least three people did work on your behalf... your integrity IS in question for many people here and there really is no way to redeem it without stepping up and making the full $50.00 donation.
I don't believe you got paid and then kept the $50.00 for yourself. I believe you probably mis-understood the client's committment and farmed out a job you didn't actually have. That's a mistake and a lesson in business.
To maintain your integrity, you have to pay for that mistake. To me, the choice is, your honour among your RP colleagues... AND YOURSELF, or $50.00. That should be an easy decision for anyone; trust and integrity are priceless, $50.00 is a couple of tanks of gas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2004, 10:28 AM

darn I broke the rules and flamed lightly

sorry everyone, and in penance I went and made a donation for ten buck(since I can step up and own what I must)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2004, 02:36 PM

Wow. Simply, wow. It's The Crucible all over again.

I shall not ever step foot here again. Mods, you may delete me from this forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2004, 03:04 PM

wow, way to abdicate responsibility....this sure did not look like the scene from "The Lottery" to me ( to trade literary reference )

**chuckles evilly** and refrains from further infractions which might compell me to empty my bank account
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs