RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

What's a fair price to charge for creating a photo collage?

Old 04-27-2004, 11:00 AM

Of course, it's difficult to know what your friend was/is expecting to pay. I would definitely mention the amount of time (you'll have to estimate) you put into it so that he knows. If you let him make an offer first, then at least you'll have an idea of what his expectation is and you can start negotiating (if necessary). If he's way low, make sure he knows how much you "normally" charge for such work

Jeanie[/QUOTE]

Jeanie,

Thanks very much for your comments. What you wrote helps and is the approach I hope to follow.

Seems what I really should have done was take a $100 deposit right at the beginning.

RIght about now, I feel about like the guy on Doug's icon...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
I doubt that your friend will have any idea of how much work and time you've invested in the project. Most likely they have the idea that you can whip these type of things up in a matter of minutes.
If the friend pops the question, "how much do I owe you?", you might ask them to call around to get an idea of how much a job like this costs, and then make you an offer, with a "friendly discount".
Vikki,

This is a very interesting idea. But maybe the way to do it is to tell him that I really need to call around a bit and see what others would charge for a job like this. Then in the meantime maybe he'd also get the idea to call around and he'd get enlightened as to the going rate for this kind of project...

Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2004, 01:24 AM

Hi Diane,

My 2 cents ...

Now that you have done it, it would take you less time the next time for having the expeirience (including the time it takes to figure out the composition). Tell him how much time it took, how much time it would take the next time, and what the normal charge would be for that time. Then be very happy to take whatever seems fair to both of you. You probably didn't have the practice with this or you would have had an idea as to what would be appropriate to charge - so with not quoting ahead of time your friend might get something for being the test collage and you would get something for doing the job. I feel like I am saying this wrong, but it is not just all about how long it took. Your friend has provided a service that has a value by trusting you with a job that was new to you ... am I making any sense?

Hope this helps,
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2004, 09:33 PM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your input. You're right that I had very little experience doing this kind of collage before. I'd seen a magazine ad and got the brillant idea to do something similar for my friend...

Which gets me to wonder if there is a better way to have done this collage than how I did it. But I'll start a new thread for this...

Take care,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2004, 12:12 AM

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to post an update: I did get paid by my friend and it was a very fair amount considering all the time that was involved in this project and all the changes he wanted. I gave him an idea of just how much time it had really taken and then he came up with a price by calculating it at a fair hourly rate. He was a real mensch about it...

Thanks again for all the advice on this one!
Diane

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2004, 09:08 AM

I'm glad it worked out!! Friends sometime understand the intensive time put into this stuff and when you offer the discount, they seem to be very happy.

I recently did a huge wedding retouch for a friend. I removed so much chain link fence for all of their portraits, I never want to see a chain link fence AGAIN!!! Honestly, it took me MONTHS to finish it, I could only do a little every other night. In the end, I charged only a fraction of what it should have cost, and she tipped me generously in the end. But she still got the deal of her life!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs