Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Landing that first job?

Old 06-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Landing that first job?

Hi all,

I’m new to the retouching game, but would love to work towards a position at some type of ad agency. What steps would you all recommend for landing that first job? Where should I look? Who should I talk too? It seems as though every job out there requires 5+ years work experience. What is the best way to acquire that work experience? Although I have been working with Photoshop for the past eight years, it has been in a strictly no- professional capacity. What do most employers look for in a portfolio? Due to an injury I need to transition into a new carrier quickly, and I have always loved working with Photoshop, and Illustrator. Any advice you guys might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Get together a killer portfolio. If you were a chimp with a prison record you could get a job if your portfolio was good enough. If you don't have pieces from real jobs, make up pretend assignments and do them (just don't try to pass them off as real).

Plus, just about any ad agency will let you set up "informational interviews" with staff and art directors. Take your portfolio, get opinions, ask their advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 12:20 AM
As Doug mentioned make up a portfolio if you don't have one.

Employers are looking for capable people, and if you can show them you've got the "stuff" that is what matters to them.

When you are making up your portfolio, I would also make sure that the examples you are going to be showing relate to the job. If fashion, do some retouchings of stock photos, if advertising, show off your best work redoing a photo or scene.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the advice. Do you guys know of any place to get my hands on untouched fashion photos? It can't seem to find anything on the web.
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 09:35 PM
I do not know where you are, but you might try a studio that does such work and see if they can provide you with something (maybe an outtake or some such). That also might led to something if you do a good job and then take it back and show them what you did.

Or perhaps a model that has some shots you could use. Or if you have a camera take some yourself, maybe something outdoors so you don't need a lot of lights, etc etc.

Good luck

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 10:12 PM

I'll give it a try. Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs