Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Pet Photography

Old 10-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I don't know if Amy is still around, but I said I'd get back to her on the subject.

After a couple of weeks in "puppy training", I haven't had much of a chance to talk to people about this. But I did ask a few. The good news is that nobody said they wouldn't be interested. The bad news is they didn't say they *would* be interested. But I got a few replies like "maybe", or "that'd be cool", or "my wife would probably go for it". So maybe there could be a market for it afterall. I still think the odds would be better at more advanced classes.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks Ed for replying.

Yes I'm still around but haven't had too much free time. So, I check in once in a while.

Maybe the pet photography wouldn't be lucrative enough to support myself due to the casualness of the events. I've been looking at various dog training classes and all of them are very informal usually with only about 10 dogs in attendance.

I think I will have to think of something else to branch into.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Amy2004
Thanks Ed for replying.

Yes I'm still around but haven't had too much free time. So, I check in once in a while.

Maybe the pet photography wouldn't be lucrative enough to support myself due to the casualness of the events. I've been looking at various dog training classes and all of them are very informal usually with only about 10 dogs in attendance.

I think I will have to think of something else to branch into.
I know of someone who makes a boatload of $$ taking action pix during soccer and Little League seasons. He's not competing with the mass photography team and individual (batting stance) pics, but taking shots during the games. He's got some nice telephoto lenses = he's able to get closeups parents can't imagine getting with their little pocket digital cameras.

New (and plentiful) customers each season.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Lightbulb People LOVE their Pets

Amy, if you want to to some dog photography the BEST place to go is a Dog Show! I have done this for a few years and am building a client base. It is completely acceptable to take freelance candid shots. The official photographer is there to take formal shots of the wins (the dog, handler and the judge with a sign that says what was won). Just check with the show officials if you are worried about infringing on someones territory (there is usually a table set up). I have never had a problem and have learnt a great deal. I like outdoor shows the best, Obedience and Agility competitions are not only fun to watch but offer many great opprotunities for action shots... going over jumps and navigating the agility equipment.

Good Luck! have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2005, 08:42 AM
It's do-able...

Originally Posted by Amy2004
I've been thinking of things I could do as a business idea.

Anyone have any thoughts about starting a pet photography business where I focus on photographing pets graduating from training school? I haven't seen or heard of anyone taking pictures of their dog's graduation day. I thought that would be something nice and I think people would pay for it.

As more people are viewing their pets as kids, graduation pictures would be a nice touch.

It's do-able, as in that's what I do.

There are dog trainers and there are obediance classes. Focus on the dog trainers. People are spending some bucks for them. Obediance classes are usually "on the cheap", but can be productive - just don't expect as much. Give them all a try. Don't miss out on anyone. Expect to get turned down. Do have a portfolio of color 8"x10" images with you for them to look at. The portfolio book doesn't have to be expensive - I use the relatively inexpensive Itoya Art Profolio Evolution series - something like $20 for 3. If they get damaged - and they will - I don't feel badly about tossing them - keep the photos of course, but toss the portfolio.

Contact your local veterinarians. I set up with one for her annual Christmas party that she has for her clientelle. It works out nicely. Her clients bring their pets, and if they want a portrait, I do it - very casual, but good. I have a complete portable studio. That consists of Broncolor lights (3), backdrop stand and backgrounds, table (to get the "wee ones") up higher, noise makers (to get their attention), treats, etc.... Of course, I shoot from a tripod - don't try hand holding as you'll loose some great ones - camera shake always creeps in at the worst times, ie: the best images. You'll find that dogs are easier to photograph than cats. Cats like to scoot... Birds are another issue - you'll need silver lined umbrellas for light modifiers (shows up feather details better than white modifiers). I gather that you're young and probably won't have access to all of this equipment, but I mention this to give you some idea of where to go... I don't know what resources you have available, but one can do with much less. Contact me or respond here with questions, and I can bounce some different possiblities your way. Like - what kind of camera do you have? You don't give much information for anyone to work on...

Contact local pet grooming shops - these are an excellent potential.

Keep in mind that you can't do business with everyone and shouldn't expect to. Some will be very receptive and others will shoo you out the door as quickly as they can. If you develop a close working relationship with 15% that's great as they will be your bread and butter.

Hope this helps a wee bit.

Good luck,

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Photographing animals

I found your thread when I was browsing around the net, and thought I may be of some help to you.

We actually show dogs, and I can give you alot of insite and options for you for photography at dog shows.

You can do ringside candid shots unless the premium list specifically states that is it limited. Video as well. A premium for example that says that this can not be done, in respect to video, is the Westminster Kennel Club shows in Madison Square Gardens (in a week actually). All rights to video that show belong toUSA network.

Alot of photographers go to shows and take candid shots then put them out on websites for the people to view and purchase. You can advertise in the show catalog for pretty cheap that you were there and the exhibitors will be able to veiw their photos at WWW.whatever

You can also rent "booth" space for portrait type photos. Alot of photographers do this, they have one person in the booth and one out taking candids...covering all the angles.

Alot of Agility trials will have an official photographer, but the Dog world offers a huge varity of options, you have fiele trials, Agility Trials, Obedience Trials, Conformation shows, Freestyle shows, Flyball Trials, herding trials, Earthdog events, Lure Coursing and who knows what else.

There are AKC show, UKC Shows, Intl Kennel Club shows, ASCA shows and several others.

Feel free to email ( me with any questions you all may have to get information on shows in your area and what not. (Please put dog show photo information in the subject line)

Becky Noe
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs