RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Pet Photography

Old 09-09-2004, 05:11 PM

Pet Photography

I've been thinking of things I could do as a business idea.

Anyone have any thoughts about starting a pet photography business where I focus on photographing pets graduating from training school? I haven't seen or heard of anyone taking pictures of their dog's graduation day. I thought that would be something nice and I think people would pay for it.

As more people are viewing their pets as kids, graduation pictures would be a nice touch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Janitor

I've actually gone through one of those schools. They're very informal (at least this one was). There was a cute graduation ceremony, and even little doggy diplomas. My wife cried. I'm sure she would have demanded a photo, had the opportunity been around. And I'm sure the instructor would have been amenable, especially if they got a "commission".
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2004, 06:15 PM

We do "Santa and Pets". People spend about twice as much on their pet and Santa as they do on their kids and Santa.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2004, 07:29 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I've been through one of the schools too. My personal opinion is that it probably wouldn't be lucrative, but I've been known to be wrong a time or two before. It won't be long, and I expect to be going to another class. Maybe I'll run that question by some of the other participants when the time comes.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2004, 07:52 PM

Hey Ed,

That would be good info to know.

If I were to do it, it would be for extra side income. I love animals so photographing them at their graduation would be something that I would have fun doing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2004, 06:11 PM

pet photography

People who participate in dog/cat shows always have a photographer on site to take "pet" pictures, why not expand on the idea for the general public. I think it would work, especially if you were willing to travel some so you could expand your business and get a name for yourself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2004, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
People who participate in dog/cat shows always have a photographer on site to take "pet" pictures, why not expand on the idea for the general public. I think it would work, especially if you were willing to travel some so you could expand your business and get a name for yourself.
The governing bodies of shows and competitions generally sanction (and take a commission from) a single photographer, often with exclusive rights to shoot in the ring and/or the judging and awards. Other people are welcome to take pictures but it's kind of bad form for another pro to come in and shoot for hire for more than one client; and even with that one client you don't get the same access.

As for schools, that sounds like a good idea if you can get hooked up with a few of them. The step and repeat nature of that type of photography makes for good income because it's efficient. You could shoot digital and have a photo printer onsite... strike while the iron is hot. Be sure to have a referral card too for reprints and undecided customers. Sounds like a winner to me... you're not near the RTP are you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2004, 07:50 AM

Reply to Chip:

I didn't mean she should come in and just "take over". Becoming one of the sanctioned photographers and getting that contract to take the pictures would go a long way toward achieving the goals she has set. I would never presume to jump on the territory of someone who had been hired to do a job like that. And I would hope the suggestion would have been thoroughly thought through and all form followed. After all, it was just a suggestion not a how to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2004, 03:21 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Just my thoughts on this. Most people who take their dogs to training schools are just trying to have a dog that will be a good companion, easy to manipulate, but not necessarily for competitions. It seems to me that if there is money to be made, it would be in the competitions, but questionable for the average training classes. Advanced training might offer a better chance than basic classes, where people might be more apt to bring their own cameras, and not demand professional quality.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2004, 11:38 AM

Chip,

What does RTP stand for?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs