Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Photo-based art

Old 11-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Photo-based art

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Just found retouchpro by browsing the net. I am a photographer who had a commerical business back over 5 years ago, that went away when the economy when down. I've been trying to get back into having my own business again and I have come up with an idea that I think might work out and was hoping for some feedback pro or con on it.

I have been working on learning to do artwork from photos, such as portraits, etc. I have been thinking that once I get a portfolio together of my work I would approach wedding and portrait photographers with it. My idea is that they might want to have me work for them as a subcontractor, as it were, to create artwork from one chosen photo.

I'm not sure if others are doing this type of work, or if wedding photographers are open to it? I don't plan on doing the photos myself as I'm not a wedding photographer, don't have the personality for it.

Anyway thanks in advance for any advice anyone might have on this.

Well it doesn't look like I'm going to get any response from this question. I thought that people doing retouch work for others might have an opinion on this, since it is similiar in nature. I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by MarkH; 11-24-2004 at 06:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2004, 01:48 PM
brand new here

I don't know for certain as I'm not actually in the trade, but when my wedding photographer (I was married just over 6 months ago) learned that I was a graphic artist hobbyist/"freelancer" (believe me the quotes are accurate) he mentioned that while at the moment we couldn't do anything together, he was interested in contracting me sometime in the future to create templates for vignettes/collages/presentations/etc. Retouching was not something he was interested in as he was still using film and that was done when the film was being developed. It's quite possible that the smaller photgraphers will be interested in contracting work like that - including retouching - out as the transition to digital becomes complete.
Just my 2 and a half cents. (My pride forbids me to leave it at a measly 2 cents)

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. After so many people viewing this message and having no comment. I get the feeling that this idea isn't something that is very popular, or maybe there just aren't many people doing it as a business. Maybe more as a hobby.

But it's something I do want to get into and I suppose there's no way to know if it will be successful unless I work at it.

Again thanks and good luck with your artwork as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 08:01 PM

I just plain missed your original post and it rolled off the radar screen.

Member jgeddes is doing subcontract photo-art work (mostly action/sports shots at the moment, but is looking to broaden his offerings into wedding-type 'paintings.' You might send him a private message or e-mail to pick his brain in this regard. (You can mention I pointed you in his direction.)

If you haven't yet, check out some of the links in this thread:

These folks aren't subcontracting per se, but there IS a market for high quality portrait-type work.

Here's another:

She uses Corel Painter, but some work in Photoshop.

Hope this helps inspire you a bit.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs