Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Single jobs that bill at over $100

View Poll Results: How often do you get single-image $100 retouch jobs?
Never 21 27.63%
Almost never 15 19.74%
Occasionally 23 30.26%
Regularly 17 22.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2005, 07:53 AM
I have charged over $100 about 5% of the time. On these restorations, the damage was extremely severe and took several hours to restore. In each case my Client did not say a word about the price, which I quoted to them up front before any work was done.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2005, 04:08 PM
I've been retouching for a number of years now, but mostly in an office environment where my time is sort of factored into my salary. The last restoration experience I've had involved an older woman. I gave her my quote after showing her a sample of what I could do with her photograph, and she accepted. A few hours later, the job was completed and she refused to pay me, saying her grandson claimed he could do the same job for twenty bucks.

I told her to let her grandson do it and I've kept it as a portfolio piece. I've run into plenty of people who say, "you should CHARGE for that kind of service" once they see my work, but they never offer to pay me for it.

This was done a few years ago, so I'm sure if I were to redo it it'd look a little better, but here's the job I did for that old woman:

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Strive for Ben

Have been building a photo business for a year but the actual work has migrated into restorations, with is great with me, because I love the challenge, the final image and helping preserve someone's past. About half of my restores have been at the Ben Franklin level.
My business plan has my hourly rate at 3/4 of a Ben. I price each job by an in hand evaluation of the original. But, I have never yet billed for my actual time, never.
("Ben" and "Ben Franklin" are comic references to an American $100 bill, for people unfamiliar to US currency )
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 05:57 PM
I've never done retouching for money but I'd love to start! If I could get $100 for a retouch and average two a day, I'd be happy.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 06:01 PM
I forgot to mention... A family friend showed me a picture she had restored professionally a few years ago. It was an ok job and I'm sure I could do just as good but I almost passed out when she told me it had cost her about $300. She also told me she had others that had been done in the $500 range as well.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs