RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Help!! need advice fast on tutoring Photoshop

Old 11-06-2001, 09:59 PM

Exclamation Help!! need advice fast on tutoring Photoshop

I have recently been approached to tutor some one in the basics of Photoshop and asked to think about an hourly rate. I think I'd like to give it a shot but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what to even charge for something like that. Anyone got any ideas to get me started? I think I have enough of a handle on Photoshop to teach the basics to someone. That's not the problem. The problem is, I have no idea what a reasonably fair rate would be. I expect I will be going to their house to teach this and travel expenses should be included. Should I check out some on line classes and see what they run? Or maybe even compare to the cost of a basic CD or Video package vs a live teacher. I meet with them Monday so I need ideas quick.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2001, 10:59 PM

How about looking up what a class on beginning PS would be through a college Adult Education program or seminar. I have no idea about mileage but .15 to .35 cents per mile both ways doesnot seem out of line. Good luck. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2001, 11:33 PM

Hey DJ,

Sounds like a fun tutoring job.

Did a quick search on yahoo for photoshp classes and here's a couple of pages to check out:

http://www.pixurman.com/photosho.htm

http://www.fcomconnect.com/photoshopguide6.html

There might be even more but didn't know if this was what you were needing or not.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2001, 11:52 PM

Smile

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Chris,
I looked at the links and yes they are what I was looking for. Especially that one. I was amazed to see the total for 12 lessons at $1200. It gives me some idea what to think about.
I too think this is a neat opportunity and a possible new business avenue. I am alot better at the creative part than the people part though.

Tom
I remember seeing a listing in the local magazine for evening adult classes at the local schools that was the basics for Photoshop and the price was about $45 for 8 weeks plus materials. I think they can charge that because they teach several people at once. There is a minimum number of students before the class could be canceled. I know I took piano for that price but when I continued on with the teacher for private lessons the price jumped to $45 an hour and I went to her house. Maybe that would be a fair price?

I am very thankful for all your input as it gives me things to think about before I commit to this.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2001, 11:52 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I think Tom's suggestion sounds pretty good about the adult education. But I think at *least* $.35 per mile is not out of whack. It'll *cost* you more than $.15 per mile - that's for sure. As per the online courses, IMHO you shouldn't try to compete with them. You are giving personal assistance, and that's worth more than the online course. Best of luck with it. I'm sure whoever the pupil is, they'll get a very good teacher. And if this works out pretty well, you might even consider offering a class to the public!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2001, 11:56 PM

Looks like I was thinking the other way around! Yeah - the $100.00 per lesson sounds good to me . I think you should take a good look at what they offer for that kind of money.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2001, 12:40 PM

Good suggestions, indeed.

But one thing you might want to consider (and I'm sure you already thought about this in advance) is to make photos,presentions, or demonstrations that have an end result that will take you X number of hour(s) to accomplish.

Like in your first class, all you're going to do is cover the buttons/menus.

(which is what I'm doing here at work)

Bring a photo that you already worked on and bring a copy of it before you did the voodoo that you done. As you go through the various burns/magnifies/filters or whatnot, you can have the same result as the "finished" photo that you already brought along.

It was rather hard for me to actually come up with something along those lines, but with a little practice it gets easier. Esp when you're talking about working with particular styles on a particular menu/submenu.

I'll stop my speech so ya'll can wake up now.

Rick

PS

Good luck with your gig. and no, you're not asking as much as you think you are.

R
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2001, 05:29 PM

Thanks Ed and Rick,
Yes, I definately need to work out a class outline and the idea of before/after prints to demonstrate is a good idea. I don't know how much time I will have to put this all together before she wants to start but I will do my best. Any other ideas you get on the actual tutoring lesson plans and materials would be a great help also. Keep the suggestions coming. I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks for the little ego boost Ed, I just hope I'm as good as you think I am. I'll tell you how it goes after I meet with them.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2001, 06:27 PM

You're as good as I think you are. I'm sure you have a few good books at hand. Maybe it would be good to note how they are laid out. For example, chapter one covers *this*, chapter two covers *that*, etc. That could give you a good starting point to set up your own unique plan. Online courses might also give you a rundown on what to expect from their class. Is your pupil interested in restorations? Maybe she's more into manipulations. Maybe you could have a specific goal to finish (such as a restoration or manipulation) towards the end of your classes. I think it's important to know how much to give someone in one session. You don't want to overwhelm a newcomer. You might want to discuss this with her also, and let her be the one to set the pace. What seems *very* basic to you could easily be too much for her. Just a few thoughts that you can take or leave. I'd be interested in seeing the plan you make up, and I'd *love* to get in on the classes! Best of luck with your new endeavor.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2001, 06:31 PM

I think it would be good to be flexible on your schedule too. In other words, if you don't accomplish what your plan calls for for lesson two -- no big deal. There's always tomorrow.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs