RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Building a website

Old 12-13-2001, 05:35 AM

Looks very nice! Nice layout and color, and easy to navigate.
Only saw one oops. Your "slip" is showing on the bottom of your contact page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2001, 06:46 AM

Looks like your well on your way Jill, nice job. Not sure why the code is showing at the bottom of the contact page but thats easily corrected.

I have a monitor which is at 800 x 600 resolution and everything looks great and all the words seem to be where they should relative to the pictures. The font on your home page title is coming thru correctly. I have a problem on my website that some people, based on how their browser is set up, doesn't recognize the main font I use on my personal website. It defaults them to arial for some reason.

Since it is a business, you may want to investigate how best to register your domain name with some of the search engines so that people can find your website if they do a random search. I don't know that much about it, but I do know it doesn't happen to easily without registering with some of the main search engines.

Best of luck and good job - Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2001, 07:12 AM
Janitor

Very nice. Simple and elegant.

You've got a lot of blank tables at the bottom with a lot of empty space resulting. This is most likely not your fault. Publisher is a notoriously inefficient web editor. Before your site gets much more advanced you might want to consider a dedicated editor, like Frontpage, Dreamweaver, Fusion, or Golive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2001, 11:23 AM

Jill, I love it. Simple yet very well presented. By "simple" I don't mean "plain" or "simplistic", I mean "uncomplicated" and "easy to follow & understand." Very important for many users out there.

Hope you don't mind that I took a look at your source to try to figure out the "slip" on your contact page and the big blank spaces at the bottom of your pages. I don't know if you're comfortable editing the source text of your files, but if you are the two things are easy to fix.

1. On your contact page, look for the line that contains "cgi-sys". Then back up in that same line and find the characters "&lt;". Change those characters to a single "<". Now move towards the end of the line and find the characters "&gt;" and change those characters to a single ">". That should fix the "slip" problem.

2. Towards the bottom of every page you will find four lines that look something like:
<tr>
<td height=824></td>
<td colspan=8></td>
</tr>
Simply delete these lines as they are only adding space to the bottom of your pages. The space isn't that big of a deal really, but when I see a scroll bar in my browser window, I expect something to be down there and there isn't.

Hope this helps. You've done a great job - especially with Publisher. (I'm not sure I'd have the wherewithall to figure out how to do a webpage in Publsher. )

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2001, 06:31 PM

Thank you all for your responce
I will try Jeanie's idea to fix my "slip"!
I didn't know what to do with all that blank space so just left it! More to learn...phew
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 08:05 AM

Hi Jill,
I was visiting your page again (browsing the links) and noticed that your restoration image is in gif format. I'm curious as to why you chose that format. From my experience, it seems that jpg produces a smaller file (faster loading too), and keeps all the color info, and is beter for photographs. Whereas gif is better for simple graphics.
Just curious.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 11:57 AM

New Years Greetings! Very elegant looking site.Since one of my goals of 2002 is to create a proper site( I can't really count the "just to see what it's like" site I did with Pagebuilder on Yahoo) , yours is a nice inspiration.
Sometimes all of the information out there can get overwhelming at times and it's hard to know where to start.I appreciate the links from the thread you started.
Anyway,awhile back on this site I asked what kind of web development software folks here were using and I remember Doug saying he was using GoLive for this site.I'm wondering what programs other folks out there are using and also is it just easier in the long run to just learn to write in code as opposed to learning a program like GoLive,Front Page or Dreamweaver?

Paulette

Last edited by paulette conlan; 01-01-2002 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 09:51 PM

Hi Vicki!
I have no idea why Gif I sure did notice on the enhancement picture I used there is not much color info....strange looking photo! I used Publisher 97 and I think it just automatically generated the pictures to a gif file. I didn't change them to a gif just to 72dpi jpeg and medium compression....The pictures on your site sure load fast so I am glad to know I should keep as jpeg, Thanks! I appreciate your opinion, your site and restorations are wonderful and very proffesional. I keep reading that the ping format is a great option for photo's but do they take longer to view/download for people? I will have to try that.
I am getting all my example pictures and much more information together for my finished portfolio/web site (which is taking me soooo much longer than I thought!) Changing a few things that bug me, like the background of my company name doesn't blend in with the background right....I am going to play with the transparency feature and save to web and see if I can fix that. I don't like the grey background in my drop shadows, explaination boxs and the befores and afters don't line up for everyone so will change that somehow. Just ramblin thoughts .....
It is frustrating and fun Paulette! Thank you for your kind words about my site....It was my first try and lots of fun with the help of this groups examples making it easier.
I was looking through everyones site's on the new links page and I am so impressed. I wonder why I can't leave a comment on the sites?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 10:57 PM
Janitor

Comments are not available yet. Still working on that part.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2002, 05:26 AM

Jill,
Thanks! I think fast loading images are a must. Here's what I do for the images on my site: I try to keep the width of images to around 800 pixels. I save everything in jpg (png is still too big), with a medium compression (about 6). My thumbnails are all 60 or 80 pixels wide (can't remember exactly), with a compression of about 4 or 5. Tabs or buttons are usually in the gif format. Infranview is a great little program for doing a batch resize (although PS does it as well).
Re: guestbook/comments. I have one, but I didn't like where it was situated, and haven't put it back yet. Which also reminds me, on one of your pages, the links to your guestbook don't work. I think it's the page where your html code for your counter is showing.
It also took me a while to get my site going. I have no desire to become a html guru, so it took me a while before I got it how I liked it. Keeping it simple works best for me, as far as maintenance and updating. The more flashy and elaborate, the more work......
I started off using a lot of different programs to build my website, but now I use HomeSite by Allaire. It's actually more program than I need, but I'm comfortable with it. You can download a trial program.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website