RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Building a website

Old 01-02-2002, 01:22 PM

Smile

Thanks for sharing what you used, that helps me a lot! I have no idea about the counter and the guest book...I had tried to put in the counter code by (don't laugh) just copying and pasting on the page! See I am Way over my head on the html/coding stuff! I have to give it a try though, but will use (and learn) a new program that is more up to date....mine is 5 years old/second hand... so new will be good, I am going to check out the homesite link right now, thanks for that! If you don't mind another question....what kind of ftp uploading (thingy) do you use? I had signed up with the free cuteftp but got a bunch of junk mail from it and wonder what others use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2002, 08:07 PM

For FTP, I use WS_FTP95
It's an old no nag shareware that works great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 08:14 AM

Thumbs down nice job!

checked out your site and pretty good I might add! I do agree that you should be using Dreamweaver! great program, user friendly, but can do the sophisticated stuff as well! may be scarry at first when you see it, but in all great and best program to use!

keep up the good work! watch that white space and your slip!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 09:37 AM

oooh necrobumpy digraphicx

I have to say the site made me cringe - the fact that it was done in publisher was a double cringe - but I guess for a 3 year old site its not bad.

I cant stress enough the importance of a well built and designed website. A site that looks like 'I made this' makes your company look cheap. A slick website that looks good - but more importantly, works well and efficiently will make customers more likely to entrust their images (and money) to you. Not to mention the search engine ranking improvement.

You really should get a professional to do this sort of thing. You know when you see someone whos tried to restore/retouch their photos themselves and just looking at it makes you cringe because you can see all the 'newb' errors and lack of attention to detail... that how I feel when I see companies that have obviously built their own website - or got their 13 year old nephew to do it...

With all these WYSIWYG editors - there is very much an image that anyone can make a website - which is true. Anyone can make a website, but it takes a professional (or someone with that level of experience and understanding) to build a good, cross browser compatible, accessible website that will be indexed properly by search engines.

...sorry for the rant but its something thats important to me. Its my desire to purge the WWW of ugly, inaccessible websites
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 12:57 PM

This isn't a very helpful responce. Some people can't afford to have a "professional" do the work for them and are happy with what you consider cheap looking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 03:51 PM

My response was honest and informed. TBH I dont care whether you think it was helpful or not, I know what I'm talking about and my advice still stands. Would you rather I lied and said its all wonderful and great... good job! There is that more helpful?

You may be happy with your website, but your opinion doesnt count for much - its what your potential customers that count.

If your car broke down and needed fixing and you had two choices of garage to take your car too - given similar prices and as far as you can tell they're both getting the job done - remember you're the consumer in this scenario, not the expert. Would you pick the clean, smart looking garage with professional shop front or some guy in his 'hole in the wall' shop with a broken, hand painted sign? Who would you hand over your car and keys too?

Image is very important when it comes to people trusting you with their prized posessions and particularly, money. Presenting a professional image makes you appear instantly more trustworthy online.

I'm a professional web developer responsible for several high profile eCommerce sites.

10 days ago we launched a new online store as part of an existing website, in 10 days it has brought in over £10,000 in sales with a very localised target market.

Your google ranking is 0. So despite being google listed you're going to be way down the list when potential customer come searching. searching on google for your domain I get this listing:

Past & Present Photo - Graphic/Image Restoration & Design
#1 PC Computer Wizard.

Your meta tags describe your site as being about PC repair and web design. While meta tags arent used by most major search engines these days they are still important.
Your keywords only list your web address!

Further investigation shows that your site is a rip off of http://www.1pcwiz.com/ now it could be that you own both sites but it doesnt look like it, different phone numbers and domain registrars.
Your corner graphic is hotlinking to a .rm file on their webspace, your site code is a copy of thiers and there are other parts you didnt change too.

I'm not even going to mention the site accessibility problems. Although most people dont know it, there are laws that web developers and designers have to follow with regards to disabled access. In the UK they are part of the disability discrimination act, in the US they are called section 508. Although there has only been one case brought to court on the matter - the laws still stand.

'Cant afford' is no good excuse for a bad website these days. There are numerous grants and business loans available for startup companies for building websites. In the UK £200 can get you a decent website from a freelancer, which is a very small investment in your business that can have massive impact on your sales.

Last edited by NancyJ; 11-29-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 04:21 PM

nancy, lol....i think you have too much time on your hands.

JUST AN FYI original poster.......not sure if you are using a mac, but rapidweaver is the cheapest, simplest way to get a professional looking website. Its pretty much as WYSIWYG as is possible...lots of drag and drop functionality and uses a good amount of css which is all the craze lately.

But also allows for a ton of customization to really push the envelope.

Edit: Also, doteasy is a decent host, free hosting with a good amount of space and no popups....the catch is you need to register and pay for your name through them, bout 20 a year. Also, frames are a no no anymore in web design

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 05:00 PM

Thank you for the advice photo678. I will give that a try. I do need to try it again.
And Nancy I have had a friend who is www.1pcwiz redo my site. I was happy with what he did and that's all that matters... he tried. I use my site as a quick reference for folks that want me to do work not to get jobs from the internet. It works for me. I am glad your so successful with yours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill
I use my site as a quick reference for folks that want me to do work not to get jobs from the internet. .
...you just made my point for me.

You posted asking for advice on building a website, I gave my informed, professional opinion, albeit 4 years late, it is advice that may be useful to others.

One has to wonder why people bother posting if they're goign to get all worked up over anyone who doesnt just tell them its perfect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
oooh necrobumpy digraphicx

I have to say the site made me cringe - the fact that it was done in publisher was a double cringe - but I guess for a 3 year old site its not bad.
I think it was just the way you approached it is all.....websites are big nowadays and pretty much everyone wants one, but not all people can afford a pro to do it for them. In fact, some people just want something up to have a reference point for contact info and what not. And most people do not have access to dreamweaver or go live. Ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
Its my desire to purge the WWW of ugly, inaccessible websites
However, i do have to agree with you, there is a ton of puke out there, and really poorly coded sites that just do not work. I'm on a mac, so when i come across something that is just all sorts of effed up on safari, i get angered. It is really NOT that difficult to cross check a site to see if it is compatible with as many browsers as possible, at the very least, check to see if its safari compatible and explorer compatible.

And just as an aside nancy, if it is indeed your desire to rid the web of ugly, why not offer some design advice/help/coding to jill here pro bono?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website