RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Building a website

Old 11-30-2005, 05:12 PM

Thumbs down Do I qualify?

My first visit to this forum; I like it. How do you get designated as a senior member?

I'm 84. Will that do it?

Al
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazubi
I have been following this thread because I have been thinking of getting a web site and there is a wealth of information here. Nancyj...you are straight and to the point, almost the "Simon Cowell" of Retouch Pro, but I thank you for all of the info that you have given on this subject. I would not even attempt to make a web page now. I do think that it is important to look as professional as you can afford too.

Cathy
I know I probably speak my mind more than most people who like me too But I guess thats just the way I was made.

Websites dont have to be expensive to be good, there are many ways to get a really good website on the cheap.

#1 never go to an agency - seriously, they are a complete waste of money. The first agency I ever worked for charged £60-65 an hour, the people doing the work were paid £6-10 an hour. The rest of the money went on swish offices, project managers, secretaries and company directors.
Freelancers are the way to go. Just choose wisely and never pay up front. The cheapest quote isnt necessarily the best.
#2 If you REALLY cant afford a professional to do it, you're not out of options, there are tons of sites selling templates eg. http://www.templatemonster.com/categ...t-photography/ you have to traul through quite a lot to get find non-flash sites but there are some nice designs. They're not going to be unique to you so try to find ones with low download rates. You can get a template for $30-70, you have to do a lot of the work yourself but it should at least look good.
#3 students/graduates. Now is a great time of year to prey on desperate graduate students. I dont know if the US is anything like the UK but these days most degrees are worthless, for some reason the government wants everyone to have a degree, meaning the dole queues are full of graduates and plumber and electricians are raking in 6 figure salaries and picking and choosing the jobs they want to take. If you've got no experience then you need portfolio, so July - December is a great time to look for someone who will do the job on the cheap just to pad out their portfolio. Currently students will also be having to find clients for their final projects.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMillstein@com
My first visit to this forum; I like it. How do you get designated as a senior member?

I'm 84. Will that do it?

Al
I'm glad it doesnt work that way else I'd probably be a junior member for a very long time.

Senior members have over a certain number of posts - not sure of the exact number.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkissed
I think the biggest problem here is that you aren't being understood. I frankly like how blunt you are at times because you don't sugarcoat things. While it's great to hear "Oh wow your website looks great!" or "Lookin good", sometimes the smack you in the face comments are the ones that help the most. See my best friend is the same way, I mean sometimes I have to get out the saltshaker (if ya know what I mean) but if I overlook the wording she uses, she's usually right and if not 100% atleast it helps me see the right direction.
Eloquence is not my strong suit (only got a B in english language ) it all sounds fine in my head but somehow it never comes out that way when its written down.

If some of the guys on this site really believe everything they post I'd love to spend a day in their heads, I love to know what its like to think everything is wonderful :/ Just for one day, not be the bitter old cynic that I am

I come here because I like helping people and I like the challenges and occasionaly I learn a new trick or two. I also think every forum needs someone like me I speak my mind and I dont care if people think I'm horrid because of it. But some days place feels like a remedial art class, where no matter what you did its ok - like that simpsons episode where Homer gets a job working for a supervillain and bart gets put in the remedial class and he doesnt get in trouble at school anymore cos its impossible to get in trouble in his class. They play musical chairs but theres always a chair for everybody.

I'm not trying to be insulting, everyone is built differently, some people do see the good in everything. I'm just not one of them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2005, 06:21 PM

Thanks NancyJ for the tips. The student/graduate one sounds promising. I am a professional artist, as well as a budding digital artist. Critiques are very hard sometimes because we put a lot of ourselves into our creations, but they are important as learning tools. Many times things are pointed out to me that I just was not aware of or didn't see. I usually weigh the comments and decide if I agree or disagree. Many times valid points have helped me acheive better art.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 PM

Re: Building a website

have my site hosted in godaddy...
I think this one of the easiest and good host, their you can also register your domain.

so here is what you can do.

1. go to godaddy then register your domain
2. choose the hosting package. I got the basic (cheapest linux package)
3. design your site
4. upload your pages to your godaddy server provided when you signed up.

good luck!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website