RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Building a website

Old 11-16-2001, 10:41 PM

Question Building a website

Hi All!
I am ready to get myself a website but don't know were to start. I have done searches on web address and found sooooo many. Some start at 30 dollars a year for a .com up to 700! I have a name picked out and I ran a search on it and seems it is available. Were should I start? Can anyone recommend a site that is reputable for buying an address. I know I am probably saying this wrong...address,url,link I am confused!!!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 11:09 PM

I should have done a google search before I asked my question...I found out I am talking about domain name and found out it is 35 dollars and year...the 700 dollar was someone wanting to sell me a name that I asked about....I guess I answered my own question but if anyone has sugestions I would love to still hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 02:14 AM
Janitor

Try looking at http://www.webhostingtalk.com

Another forum, they even use the same software as here
It's huge, and offers quite candid discussion of good/bad hosts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 10:01 AM

Wow - thanks for the question Jill - and your answer Doug! I've got my domain name registered, but am just now thinking about looking around for a webhost. You're link will be invaluable Doug. Thanks! -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 10:29 AM

I would be curious if you were doing this for business or personal. Your own internet provider may offer a certain amount of free webspace. Usually it is about 5 mg. if they offer it.

The downside is the following

-limited space
-can't pick your own domain name

Pictures are what seems to use the most space. If you compress them enough and size them appropriately you can still make your site graphic friendly.

Just my 2 cents - Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 10:30 AM

Thank you so much Doug...I needed that point in the right direction!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 10:41 AM

Carl, we must have been sending at the same time! I do have some space on MSN, it has so many distracting xtra's I think my age range of customers would get confused (my grandma was my test subject and she gave up!) It is a great idea though~I want a site to use mostly as a portfolio of what I can do and most of my customers are seniors. Thanks so much for answering my question, you guys are just great!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2001, 09:21 PM

Thumbs down Domain registration and hosting...

I would recommend dotster.com for registering your domain name and freeservers.com for a host. Dotster.com is one of the least expensive domain registrars that is reliable, they have been around for a while.

On freeservers.com your site is free, but with banner adds, if you would like to get rid of the banners, you have several options. I think for around $6.00 per month you can get rid of the banners. If you want to spend a little more, then you can upgrade the service further and get more space. I think you get 20 meg to start.

I have my site hosted there and have been pretty happy with there service.

HTH

Paul R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2001, 09:28 AM

Try 10-domain.com

I got a couple of domains there for $10 a year!

As far as hosting goes, I'd have to see who I use to hosts mine, but it's like another $10 a month.

Very reasonable rates, even.

What program are you going to design it in? I highly suggest Dream Weaver.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2001, 07:29 PM

Smile

Thanks for your suggestions. This was quite a project for me! I had to learn some new words...and learn to be patient! I made my web pages in microsoft publisher 97 (got for 2 dollars at a g-sale and figure what the heck I will try it!) I followed Dougs link and have signed up with WHN (web hosting network) I got my domain name thru a company they use and it was 9.95. The web host is 6.95 a month and have used 2 of the 50 Megawhatzits that are alloted. They were very helpful in walking me thru the whole getting your site uploaded process. I downloaded Cuteftp to upload my pages to their site it was a free 30 day trial and was pretty easy (with some help from the net host) WHN has a forum to ask questions in and see what problems others have encountered. I guess some times things have to be rebooted on the hosting side and causes downtime to some websites but I have had this happen once so far. Anyone else have this problem with any of their hosts?
I don't know if this is the right forum for this but I will post my website addy at the bottom of this. It is a very very basic beggining site, I plan on adding much much more but what I am wondering is how it is balanced on others screens. Do the words line up with the pictures? Do all the button/links work? Is the site to dark/light? Would appreciate any input and if you want you can use my addy on the website to respond. Thanks so much and I will post in the right spot for review of the finished site when done. Thanks guys
Hours later I re- read my post..... maybe I should include the addy... http://www.pastandpresentphoto.com

Last edited by Jill; 12-13-2001 at 12:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website