RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

new website!

Old 04-24-2005, 07:51 PM

new website!

so i finally have a decent retouching website up. only 6 images so far but im still collecting good samples.

http://digital.melissacacioppo.net/

let me know what you think.
thanks!

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 08:14 PM

Hi Melissa,

I couldn't go anywhere past the home page. For some reason none of the links would work for me. I use the Firefox browser if that makes any difference. Wish I could be of more help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 09:26 PM

thats no good. its a flash page. you are the first person who has had a problem with it out of those i have shown and out of the other computers besides my own i have tested it on.

does firefox support the latest version of flash?
youd think it would... how recently have you updated?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 09:59 PM

I also use firefox and the site works fine.

melissa,

You have a nice clean site which I appreciate. so many people just over do everything when building sites. I would suggest a page explaining the purpose of the site so people don't go looking for more or less than you intended (if you know what I mean)

Good work!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 11:19 PM

Tried it again in Explorer and seems to work fine there. Interesting note: while in
Explorer it shows 6/6 slides. In Firefox it shows 100/100 slides. I thought I had the current version of Flash installed . . . but I guess I'll have to check on that.
Perhaps somewhere you could add that the page requires Flash to view--so if people do have problems they will be able to pinpoint why.

It did work nice and clean in my version of Explorer though! Nice job!
Putting a web site together sure is a lot of work. Good to know you have not had any other problems. My computer is probably just weird.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 01:55 AM

As a dial up user, I don't even attempt to use Flash Sites, if you're hoping to use it for commercial purposes, you'll lose customers by keeping to Flash.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 08:44 AM

thanks for your responses.

i know about the 100/100 thing, i'll have to adjust that.
usually it starts at 100/100 while loading and goes to 1/6

as for the dialup/flash/etc concerns, i have considered having something load that says 'dont have flash? view the page in regular html' as well as adding the 'get flash' link, however i think most people in the areas that im targeting should have high speed access and updated equipment (im trying to get more high end work so, ads, magazines, and photographers who shoot this sort of stuff.. usually have pretty good setups) but i have thought of that.

so yeah, this is just a start, i want to add the get flash thing incase people don't have it, and possibly an html version wheni have time for those who don't want to mess with flash if they dont already have it.

but i have fallen in love with flash while doing this page. its so simple to make a clean page thats simple to navigate.

but thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 09:27 AM

I looked at your Flash page - had to abandon Safari and go to IE - and also looked at your other site, the one done in HTML and Javascript - and I like the HTML/Javascript one better.

Have you looked at some of the AJAX stuff that people are doing - blows Flash right out of the water. With what you've already done, you're more than half way there. And the beauty of AJAX is that it requires no extra plug-ins.

Or - rather than tell people that they need to get Flash, test to see if they have it and if not, feed them a sort of business card page done in HTML and the folks with the top end equipment - who will be your target audience anyway - will get the Flash page and nobody will be offended or feel left out. Just a nicer way of doing it than telling people "you can't play with me because you can't afford a really expensive new computer"

Just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt, I'm better at critiquing than I am at doing

Fabulous work by the way

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 10:33 AM

what is ajax? ive never heard of it. is it available for a mac?
i use all of the macromedia software becuase they all work so well with each other and with photoshop. on any given website ill use a combo of dreamweaver/fireworks (thats what i did with my photo site) and sometimes flash (with the digital site) ...

i cant afford a new computer either. i have a first generation LCD flat pannel imac (dome with swivel head) and its a measly 15 inch LCD. frustrating compared to the two monitor set up i have at work. but we use PCs at work.

also.. my site works in safari on my computer and on those of my safari using friends...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 10:55 AM

I was in a hurry last weekend and downloaded some bad software that messed up my system so I had to do a clean install and haven't dared do any more installs until I get this big project out the door - that would explain why Safari wouldn't view your site - I'm probably a couple of updates behind.

AJAX is an acronym for a mix of Javascript and some other stuff - a Google for the term AJAX will turn up lots of results - but if you're not a code jockey, it might not interest you. If you're impressed by Google maps and how they can refresh the page without reloading the page - that's AJAX at work.

That is the extent of my knowledge so far - I understand the concept and I'm suitably impressed, but it's on my to-do list of things to investigate.

And yes all the tools for doing AJAX would be available in what you already have. But you're doing a good job already - so unless you're looking for a challenge, why change.

Take care, Margaret
12" PowerBook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website