RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

My New Website

Old 12-01-2005, 08:12 PM

No Problem

Hunter,

No problem on this end my friend, it just so happens that one of my daughters is in college, maybe it's time to take advantage of that and get the educational version of Dreamweaver. With any luck, I might have it before the weekends over, now all I'll have to do is read, read, read,....

Another question if you don't mind, my web page is hosted by yahoo. Have you had any experience with their "Site Builder"? Anyway, thanks again, I really like this forum, I visit it everyday trying to learn from some of you who are willing to lead some of us in the right direction.

Larbear
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 10:00 PM

I've no experience with Y!'s SiteBuilder - sorry. In re: getting the academic version of DW, you would probably be better off downloading the demo first to make sure you like how it works. You can d/l a copy from macromedia.com - it's a fully working version that will disable itself in 30 days from your first launch of the app. That would really let you know a) if you like the interface/how it works and b) whether or not it suits your needs. If you like it, great! Then you can go and get that academic version

Getting back to the SiteBuilder software - unless this is the only way Y! will let you edit/upload your site, FP or DW would give you greater flexibility of your design.

Now if you do get DW, might I suggest you take a trip down to your local Barnes & Noble or Borders? Go to their magazine section and there are some British magazine -- Practical Web Projects, Advanced Web Design, etc... there are a number of them -- that you might want to pick up. In them, they have some good step-by-step tutorials on building sites PLUS they usually have a CD/DVD that comes with the mag with source files for the projects, and usually lots of free stuff (extensions for DW, basic web editors and CSS editors, stock photos, plug-ins for PS/PP/PSP, etc). Since they're import mags, they're not the cheapest... usually around $15.00 a piece. But I find that the stuff on the CDs counteract the price
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 07:37 PM

Hey Hunter, ya still out there

Hey Hunter,

I've been hammering away trying to get something done with Dreamweaver, but I gotta tell ya, I started pulling my hair out. Put one together, ran the code checker and it came back with more errors than my Front Page. Since I'm familiar with Front Page I decided to upgrade to FP 2003, guess I'm not smart enough to use Dreamweaver. I've got one question maybe you can answer for me. I put the web page together again, ran the code checker that comes with Front Page, corrected all the errors it told me about. Then, I checked it with another code checker I found with Google, and it tells me I got 18 errros???????? Any suggestions on a good book that might be easy enough for someone like me to understand. I'm not going to give up until I get this page up to standards, just might take me a little more time than some.

Thanks,

Larbear
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbear
I've been hammering away trying to get something done with Dreamweaver, but I gotta tell ya, I started pulling my hair out. Put one together, ran the code checker and it came back with more errors than my Front Page. Since I'm familiar with Front Page I decided to upgrade to FP 2003, guess I'm not smart enough to use Dreamweaver.
Nah, don't feel that way. That's why I suggested downloading the trial version to see if you liked it. If you prefer FP, you prefer FP. I've not used the 2003 version of it, but I have heard that a lot of the problems with previous versions were not as prevalent in it.

Quote:
I've got one question maybe you can answer for me. I put the web page together again, ran the code checker that comes with Front Page, corrected all the errors it told me about. Then, I checked it with another code checker I found with Google, and it tells me I got 18 errros???????? Any suggestions on a good book that might be easy enough for someone like me to understand. I'm not going to give up until I get this page up to standards, just might take me a little more time than some.
Actually, I don't have a book to reccommend, but I would suggest you use the Firefox browser and install the Web Developer toolbar. You'd want to use FF (or one of the other non-IE web browsers) to check your site visually because IE forgives some things that are "wrong" in other browsers... and then you can get stuff that is totally standards compliant and it looks like hell in IE because IE doesn't conform to many of the web standards. Welcome to Web Developer Hell.

Getting back to FF and the Web Developer toolbar you'll want to install in it, there are many features on it that will help you sort out much of your code. For example, it has a TOOLS button that has options to validate your CSS, your HTML, your RSS Feed, your Links, section 508 compatibility, WAI, and a Speed Report. These tools will spit out a report that tells you what items are "bad" and where they are in your code, etc.

Now one thing that might be messing up your code validation is your DTD, or Document Type Declaration. If there is no DTD statement at the beginning of your file, then a web browser doesn't really totally understand how to display your page. It would kind of be like talking to someone in, say, Spanish and using a lot of slang words. The other person might be saying "hey, I only know Mexican slang words and you're using Peruvian slang words - you didn't tell me that I had to know those words." (not the greatest analogy, - perhaps a better one would be someone using Southern California Surfer slang when they're talking to someone rom Maine who only knows Northeastern Lobster Fishing slang)

For example, a "basic" page may have a statement at the top that says:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
(this is saying "hey, I'm using HTML 4.1 in Transitional mode and look to this particular webpage for standards info" -- and if you're curious, W3C is shorthand for the World Wide Web Consortium)
Instead of "transitional", it could say "strict"
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
Each of those statements will tell the web browser to behave in a certain manner. If you put in code that does not conform to the standards that you've specified in the DTD, then you'll get errors when you try and validate the code. A real common "mistake" is that people will swap an XHTML DTD statement in place of their old HTML 4.1 statement without changing anything else. Well, if you were like me and in previous times used all uppercase letters for my Tags as it made them easy to see. Unfortuantely, XHTML compliant tags must be in all lowercase

So.... I wouldn't totally trust the code checking abilities of FrontPage. Why? Um, it's a Microsoft product and you can almost guarantee that it will be heavily skewed towards only checking for errors in reference to viewing in a Microsoft browser. While, yes, IE still tends to have the majority of marketshare, they are losing ground as more and more people want a more secure and standards compliant browser. I'd trust the validator from the Web Developer toolbar since it's going straight to the W3.org site and comparing it to the standards that they created.

Sorry for the novella here - hope this helps!

Hunter
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website