RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

My New Website

Old 11-30-2005, 07:09 PM

Talking My New Website

Hello everyone, just wanted to put the link out here for my new website, let me know what you think. It's not quite complete yet, but it should be within the next day or so. As always, I welcome all comments, suggestions, or ideas.

Thanks,

Larry http://www.customfreelancephoto.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 PM

<<<runs from nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo678
<<<runs from nancy
:p

If you REALLY want to know what I think... I'll tell you later But be warned, I dont sugar coat the pill
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 AM

Hello Larbear,

I'm living in the dark ages with dial-up technology so, I couldn't get to your web site without waiting ten minutes per page download. My fast speed is 24Kbps but the normal speed is 21.4 Kbps! However, I'm suppose to be getting DSL in a matter of days (probably Monday 5 Dec) with the hub only 800 ft. away so, I'll be able to get to your site then...which I will. The same holds true for image critiques. Hang in there and I'll take a peek.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 07:54 AM

Larbear,

Just a couple of comments,
1. I think your front page is way too busy
2. I think your examples could be more and not as intensive (I am on a 1.5k connection, so can imagine for dialup it must be gruelling.)

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 AM

Since everyone was giving Nancy a hard time for being honest, I'll join in the fray and give my honest opinion, too. Note that these comments are not intended to hurt/offend, etc, but to give realistic feedback.

Well, it's certainly not compliant in terms of valid markup. There are 30 markup errors on the main page alone: http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...ancephoto.com/
There's no DTD declaration, ALT text has not been used for the images, the javascripts aren't properly defined, etc. BTW, the javascript you have to disable right-clicking is kind of pointless as it's VERY easy to bypass (at the minimum, people can always do a PrintScreen and get your images), so why add to the codebloat from FrontPage and have it? Oh, and why, oh why, did you ressurect the BLINK tag (when you mouseover the packages links)? Very 1995 in terms of layout and will just annoy people. It's almost like using the Page Curl effect on images.

Part of the coding issues may not be your fault - you're using a very old version of FrontPage and it did not create very clean code. If you're serious about wanting to create and update your own site(s), you'll want to invest in a more Standards compliant editor (or learn proper HTML/XHTML markup so you can go back and edit it yourself... unfortunately, that version of FP4 you have will delete your hand-edits and replace it with code that IT wants to use, not what you specify).

Hmm... NEVER underline something online unless it's a hyperlink - you'll just confuse visitors who will try to click on it and get upset when it doesn't work. You have no navigational elements when you have a user go to one of your packages - that's a big no-no in terms of useability. And then you have an image used for navigation which is not obviously a navigational element. And clicking on it does not spawn a new window. It's a "best-practices" thing to always spawn a new window for links that take you away from the site you're currently on.

Your images seem to be very heavily compressed which goes against what you're wanting to show. Lots of jaggies and compression artifacts going on in those pictures.

Also, all CSS style info should be created in a separate file and then referenced via either a LINK or an IMPORT statement in the HEAD section of your code.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 01:10 PM

Thumbs down Thank You for being honest

Please don't think I'm offended by the truth, this is all fairly new to me and I'm looking for honest input, and I appreciated everyone who takes the time to contribute. I've tried my hand at basic HTML and I guess there's just to much empty space on my shoulders. I'll clean things up and maybe if I'm real nice Santa will bring me a more current version of web page software. One question I have, should I ask him for a newer version of Front Page, or is there something better that's not to difficult to understand. Thank you all again, don't be affraid to say what's on your mind, rest assured I won't.

Larbear
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 01:47 PM

You have a website that covers your restoration and photography talents.

Consider having distinct sections so you can properly showcase both. I looked at your portfolio and you have terrific photographs. Showcase them.

You need to be neat with the use of HTML. For instance in some of the pages you have tables with extra rows which you are not using.

One other point: in the "Major Package" section, you promise to "Repair all imperfections". Really? All imperfections? :-)
Be carefull with what you promise.

You have, as I mentioned before, terrific photographs in your gallery.
Give them a more prominent place in your web site.

Clean the html by using one of the free code validators.

Finally, there is nothing like "looking under the covers" of someone else's web site to see how it was done. I'm not talking copying the code. That would not be appropriate. But it is perfectly appropriate to learn how others have addressed the same issues:

how did they organized the front page?
how much information is too much information?
how to give the users both a low res image (thumbnail) and a hi res one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Thanks Frank

Frank,

Thank you for the compliment on my gallery. I'm going to have to plead "stupid" when it comes to code violators, I'll have to do some research and see if I can understand what they're telling me. You right about the "Remove All" comment, sometimes my fngers move faster than my brain

I've thought about combining the Photography with the Retouching but I haven't come up with any idea's yet. It's like Hunter said, I'm using an old version of Front Page. I really think I need to try someting different, I just haven't figured out what yet.

Thanks again for your feedback, I really do appreciate it. I'll keep plugging away and try to get something put together.....

Larbear
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbear
I've tried my hand at basic HTML and I guess there's just to much empty space on my shoulders.
Nah, not at all. In some ways, creating sites can be very easy, in other ways you're always scratching your head wondering WTF? I've been playing with HTML code for just over 10 years now and the specs and utilities change so fast at times that it can be quite daunting to keep up with it all. That's why keeping your editor software of choice current is usually more of a necessity than a nicety - for example, the current version of Dreamweaver (my editor of choice, but it's not cheap... hint: academic discounts find a student who can buy a copy for you... or enroll in a night class at a college so you can qualify to buy software at the academic price. MUCH more reasonable in terms of price this way) - anyway, the current version of Dreamweaver has tools inside it to check for browser issues and other coding mishaps.

Another good tool is to use the Firefox browser and then get the Web Developer toolbar extension for it -- lots of fun toys to help you get good info on your site.

Quote:
I'll clean things up and maybe if I'm real nice Santa will bring me a more current version of web page software. One question I have, should I ask him for a newer version of Front Page, or is there something better that's not to difficult to understand. Thank you all again, don't be affraid to say what's on your mind, rest assured I won't. Larbear
I'm glad you weren't taking it as a personal attack as it certainly wasn't that -- I have not used the current version of FrontPage (FP2005 or 2006, i think, is the name of it). Honestly, I hated the older versions because the code was just bad and when I'd manually go in and fix it to where it was right, FP would rewite the code again once the page was saved to be back where IT wanted things. I've heard the newer version(s) don't do that and that they're more stable. The problem with FP still is that it likes to sometimes insert proprietary things that only IE will read. Unfortunately, you always have to be mindfull that IE is not the only game in town and is losing marketshare daily.

I've heard good things about Namo, but I've not used it. I currently use Dreamweaver MX2004 on one computer and Dreamweaver 8 (the most recent version) on another.

In terms of a site looking good, it's always hardest to do a site for yourself - we're all our own worst customers. If you have the $$, you might look for a designer to create a site for you... unfortunately, that doesn't help you much when it comes time to updating it or learning stuff for yourself. There's also always premade templates out there - some are good looking, others aren't; some are functional and others reeeeealy suck.

If you find a site you like the look of, look at the source code - if need be, copy it to your local system (the code) and look at it in your web editor to see how they did things. This is kind of the old school way of learning HTML.

If you go the Dreamweaver route, there are tons of resources online with free extensions to help you with the more advanced coding (I use a lot of these myself). A site that has some interesting templates for DW, great extensions for DW, and just some good all-around knowledge regarding CSS is www.projectseven.com.

Sorry for the rambling... hopefully some of this info will help!

Hunter
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website