RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

David Vaught, LLC

Old 10-19-2006, 12:04 AM

David Vaught, LLC

New to this site and my site is relatively new as well. I Have been a high-end retoucher, pre-press and illustrator for the past decade. 2 years ago I left a big agency and started my own company. Recently I lured a few of who I consider the industries best away from some large agencies to come work for me. I think of my company as a special forces unit in way. We are very specialized in what we do, and we do it well.

I'd like to hear what you guys think of the site so far. Check back often because we output about 200 images a month. Some are portfolio worthy, some not but the site will be constantly evolving.

http://dvaught.com

dv
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2006, 08:42 AM

Smile Re: David Vaught, LLC

nice site. clean, simple, and neat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2006, 12:11 PM

Re: David Vaught, LLC

one of the better sites I've seen. Nice solid portfolio, great work. THanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2006, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the input. I was hoping I'd here from a few more on this. Are the pieces in the portfolio a good representation of what you consider to be high-end retouching? Are there any weak pieces? Navigation easy to follow? Do the pages load quickly enough? Anything that I could do to make it better?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2006, 04:42 AM

Hello David

The site is very clean and fast. Navigation is clear and concise with the image samples, although on a return visit to double check a specific image would be problematic.
You have a great variety of images, maybe to much of the paper goods. The only weak piece I saw was of the gentleman where the blue sky was added.
Nothing there looked terribly difficult, although all were done very well. I guess it all depends on your definition for high-end retouching.

Good luck with the new company. I know you started two years ago, but as a ad agency that is pretty new still.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961
Hello David

The site is very clean and fast. Navigation is clear and concise with the image samples, although on a return visit to double check a specific image would be problematic.
You have a great variety of images, maybe to much of the paper goods. The only weak piece I saw was of the gentleman where the blue sky was added.
Nothing there looked terribly difficult, although all were done very well. I guess it all depends on your definition for high-end retouching.

Good luck with the new company. I know you started two years ago, but as a ad agency that is pretty new still.

Chris
Thanks for the comments. The guy with the blue sky will likely be replaced soon. The reason he is in there is the amount of illustration that was done in the background removing all of the construction crap. None the less, good observation.

As for the difficulty level of the pieces, I know what you are saying, nothing ever looks terribly difficult to another retoucher. When we look at images we map out what we would do (I'd do this first, then....). A disection of what was done and what we would do. The difficulty is figuring out the best route to take first hand. To me, people always look easy. Remove wrinkles, smooth skin, color, reshape an arm... Even beauty images that I have done look this way even though I know what as gone into them. That is why I didn't use many on the site AND why I asked to see some of your other work. I did not want to say that your portfolio looked juvinile because it was all really well done, I just wanted to see something a little more challenging but I am certain more went into those images than what it seems at first glance.

My definition of high-end retouching is being able to signifigantly alter an image without detection.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the comments. You are one of the better retouchers I have seen so your input is valued.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2006, 11:33 AM

David

Please excuse me for seeming to be slighting your work when I said that noting seemed terribly difficult. Not what I was alluding to at all. I am sure that all of the work had their own degrees of PintheA.

As for my site I wish that I had more diversity. Unfortunately I did all of my other stuff during the first 20 years of my retouching career and concentrated on perfecting skin and body for the last 6. So all of my most up to date (read not outdated) stuff is what you see on the site. Not that I can't do other kinds of work, I can. Just don't have it for the site.

Again please accept my apologies.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2006, 09:49 PM

No worries Chris. I did not take it that way at all. I was serious about what I said though. I believe it is difficult for us to look at another retouchers work without running throught the steps in our head. You and I did it to each others work. I know that the work on your site is first rate, involves a lot of time and relies on your expereince. But when I looked at it I disected the process in my head. I was a bit subtle in saying that you started with some great photography. You were just a little more to the point with me than I was with you and I don't take offense to that. Your comments will make my site stronger as a result and I appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2006, 01:03 AM

David!

I think your site is very lovely... clean and easy to navigate.

I loved the older couple images. I would LOVE to know how you turned her into such a bright and cheery lass! The manipulation you did there really is wonderful!

Your logo work is also stunning. What program do you draw those in? Illustrator? Or something else? Excellent!

All the best to you and your wife and partners in your venture!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website