RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

see my site

Old 11-13-2006, 10:59 PM

see my site

just wanted to let you all see my site....can you give me some suggestions to make it look more professional? ty jammin
click here
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 11:12 PM

Re: see my site

jamminlady i would position before and after images next to each other (for easy viewing). and maybe categorize 'em a bit (color, b&w) so ppl dont have to scroll down a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 AM

thank you for the advice. the only thing is that it is a template with the positions of the picures already picked out so i cant move them it sux. hey, do you know a way i can get my site into search engines for free? im not a "cheap" person, im just starting out in this tho and im not real rich (yet lol)....ty
jammin
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM

hi,
First i am novice compared to you and the other people on this board when it come to doing things photoshop.. just amazing...

but on web design... I know what grab me... these are my thoughts and opinions....

myself... the black background works out nicely it can enhance the color of your samples... and can enhance the details...

my general philosophy when it come to web pages is that it grabs you, keeps you staying at that page , mentally you want them to say WOW...

1. I would put most of the pricing info on a separate page... maybe a button at the top for pricing. and only mention on the home page your very inexpensive/lowcost..
2. I would use one or two samples of your work on the home page and have them go to your main portfolio/gallery page to look at more samples... either using a link or have them click a button...remember you want then to stay around for awhile... and soak in what you can do..
3. use pictures that very obvious on the quality of work you do ... find the worst pictures the one that really bad with cracks and rips and show them a fantastic job you did repairing.. that give them ooohs and ahhhs..

Now those are just my thoughts... I would also suggest look at other sites and look at how they did things.... and you be a critic on there site... and then come back pick out the ideas that works best for yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminlady
just wanted to let you all see my site....can you give me some suggestions to make it look more professional? ty jammin
click here
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 10:37 AM

jamminlady
i found this: http://www.addme.com/submission.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 12:38 PM

Hi there! What you need to do is submit your site to free search engines. Try this. http://www.google.com/addurl/

I am new to RP but excited to be here. I am looking to learn and find freelance work.

CM
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 AM

man. the site you suggested would help sooo much. im good at what i do but not good at technical website stuff. i dont even know what program to use to save a file as a xml file to even get that search thing going ive tried and i cant do it. i dont really understand all that html stuff. hey, JERRY B, you are a website guy right? how do i do this? pleaaaaaaaaaaase tell me. its like having chocolate barely out of your reach if ya know what i mean....i want it so bad, but i dont have the knowledge to get it please help if ya have the time...thanx CYBERCAT and all you others for your help too
jammin
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 07:08 AM

Jammin
First off XML is just a fancy word for a language that the web uses for code. To run it you can use something as basic as Excel...but it is better to download a program to convert and help create it. I work with it daily, as I work for a Job Board and we use XML for our job feed clients. I am not a programmer though sorry, I am more on the graphics side. I am sure that someone in here can assist you, but if you want, I can show you a document that shows a basic XML setup. I warn you though, if you are not use to looking at code, then this is going to look like a bunch of letters and tags. I know one thing, if you do a search on XML basics, there are tons of help files on the net.

V/R
CM.

Process For XML Feeds:

Logo 150x60 jpeg or gif
XML Standard<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><!-- only one <affiliateID> per xml --><!-- put as many additional <job> items as needed within this one file --><!-- first <job> could be considered an update or an insert, depending of if the job exists or not --><!-- if a job does not appear in a feed 45 days after its last appearance, it will be expired --><source><affiliateID>1234</affiliateID><job><jobID>This is the unique key to identify the individual listing. It is assigned by the affiliate and is mandatory.</jobID><categoryCode><![CDATA[This code will be based on industry standards and will be a pipe | delimited list. This field is mandatory.]]</categoryCode> <title><![CDATA[Customer Service Representative]]</title> <summary><![CDATA[Brief summary of the position. This field is not mandatory]]</summary><description><![CDATA[Main description of the position being listed. This is defined by the affiliate and is considered mandatory. ]]</description> <url><![CDATA[URL that users will be directed to when clicking a listing. This field is mandatory.]]</url><city><![CDATA[This is the city name, where the actual job location is.]]</city><state><![CDATA[This is the state abbreviation, where the actual job location is.]]</state<zipcode>U.S. postal zip code where the listing is physically located. This field is mandatory. This will be used to derive the city/state of listing location</zipcode>NOTE: If you are unable to provide a zip code, the city and state will then be required and will be considered mandatory.

<company><![CDATA[Company name that is advertising the listing. This field will be mandatory.]]</company><keywords><![CDATA[Holds any other keywords the affiliate desires to be considered when scanning the database for user-entered keyowrd searches. This field is not mandatory. Keywords should be separated by |.]]</keywords></job></source>
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 09:56 AM

hi,
unfortuately I am not a website guy... smile...I don't want to misguide you.. i know a little bit but am not by any stretch of the imagination... not a expert knowledgeable person on htm.... but I know some of the basics.. if I need it...

I don't know what program you use.... but if your using some of the online programs to setup your webpage... well a lot of those are not good, ok for simple personal pages but more sosphisticated pages get a dedicated web program.. might check out some of the free ware and shareware at tucows.com or download.com... these programs can generally do a lo more fancy things... and you don't need to know code that much.....
if not sure let me know here what kind of features looking for and maybe i can find something...if no one else has suggestions..

in addition, for setting up a webpage I go to http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/ ... the cover all the basics and advance in coding a webpage...... another little little thing I do sometimes... is on a site that they do something unusual and i like or wonder about... i'll look at the source.... (go to view and click source... take a little reading... but it shows all the codes on how things are setup and display....of that webpage.. )

I'll help you as much as I can but just keep in mind my limitations.. smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminlady
man. the site you suggested would help sooo much. im good at what i do but not good at technical website stuff. i dont even know what program to use to save a file as a xml file to even get that search thing going ive tried and i cant do it. i dont really understand all that html stuff. hey, JERRY B, you are a website guy right? how do i do this? pleaaaaaaaaaaase tell me. its like having chocolate barely out of your reach if ya know what i mean....i want it so bad, but i dont have the knowledge to get it please help if ya have the time...thanx CYBERCAT and all you others for your help too
jammin
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 09:58 AM

Jammin

Here's a few suggestions. I don't do web design, but I do do marketing and PR!

I'd replace the (very nice!) photo of you and your husband with your most spectacular before and after image. If you want to include your own photo, I'd put it at the end with your contact details.

For some reason the introductory text has odd capitalisation and no punctuation, which is a bit distracting. I'd split it up into two or three smaller blocks, like this:

I take damaged new or old photos and make them look like new!

• The difference between me and the others:-

Your cost will only be $10-$30 depending on the amount of work that needs doing.

• How do I go about getting a photo restored?

Either send the photo by email for an estimate, or just send it snail mail.
If you go the snail mail route, you will need to give me your email address so that I can send you an estimate.

*note- Snail mail takes longer and you will get the picture back on a disc.

If you can - and I appreciate your web editing package may make this difficult - I'd reorganise your "before and afters" so they act as illustrations for your three price bands, and, as Cyber Cat suggests, put the B&As side by side. The point of this is that it will help people to have some idea of exactly what is meant by each level so they have a better idea of the likely cost.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Hugh

Last edited by hwellerlewis@ti; 11-17-2006 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Wanted to make it clearer
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website