RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Critiques on my site - Inexpensive Retouching

Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 AM

Critiques on my site - Inexpensive Retouching

Hey everyone,

I posted a few months ago and got the absolute worst reaction from people believing my site was infringing on their business, because we were providing retouching for only $5.00 a picture, regardless of the amount of retouching necessary.

Anyway, we've been doing great recently, with a new photographer joining our network about once every two weeks or so. That's great progress for us.

So, now we're looking at modifying our website, so I need your help. What do you see that's blatantly obvious that needs to change. We just added photo uploads directly from the site. In the past, we had customers emailing us the pictures, so I believe this is an improvement. What else can you see that needs to change? We haven't added or changed our examples in a while, so that might be something to look at. The home page is also a little static, I was thinking about creating a flash for it, which means the load time would probably be increase somewhat...so is that a plus, or not really?

Anyway, take a look at my site www.E-Retouch.com, and if you like it, please add a link to your site for us, and come visit us. If you don't, why not?

Take care.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2006, 12:06 PM

Re: Critiques on my site - Inexpensive Retouching

I found your site easy to navigate and quick to load. I say, don't add flash (or music). Perhaps a soft unobtrusive background to warm up the pages?

Your work retouch work is quite good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2006, 01:13 PM

Hi,
first of all I am novice with photoshop however... as opinions... everyone has opinions.. smile...

First not a bad site, i like the way you did the before and after pictures, it really hight the differences and overall the site is informative and straight to the point, which is always important.

Now.....
1. Myself I always like a black background when displaying the pictures on the monitor, too me it focuses my eyes to the pictures so they don't wonder, also it too me it enhances the picture!! it brings out sharpness, clarity, colors... and with before and after shots it really brings to focus the improvements that you make to the pictures. In addition, black always tends to be more classy for a background color on website....
a. The font size, I thought could be one size larger, it would make easier to read.
b. now ariel, courier and new times roman are the standard font for business sites and informational type sites but maybe a something a little more jazzy would work with your business site.. but that if'y.

2. How do they get the pictures to you? ... I didn't see that anywhere on your website maybe I missed it. it would be useful , Maybe a blurb in the pricing section and/or the faq section and/or the ordering section. And also additional info such as if snailmail should it be registered or not, if it's a scanned picture there emailing you then maybe something about what dpi/ppi setting should be used in the scanning if possible.. I know that would make your job easier... and better quality results..
note: if snailmailing the pictures maybe something about if they get the original back or not.

3. Maybe update your samples..you have some nice sample, definitely pick pictures that really shows huge improvements. Most people, unless there really serious and critical about pictures,, don't normally see small but significant difference in pictures unless you really point it out to them... so make it obvious on the improvements in your samples

Well those are my 2 cents worth for it worth.... it looks like you have good service and it growing. So I wish continued good fortune in your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarfati
Hey everyone,

I posted a few months ago and got the absolute worst reaction from people believing my site was infringing on their business, because we were providing retouching for only $5.00 a picture, regardless of the amount of retouching necessary.

Anyway, we've been doing great recently, with a new photographer joining our network about once every two weeks or so. That's great progress for us.

So, now we're looking at modifying our website, so I need your help. What do you see that's blatantly obvious that needs to change. We just added photo uploads directly from the site. In the past, we had customers emailing us the pictures, so I believe this is an improvement. What else can you see that needs to change? We haven't added or changed our examples in a while, so that might be something to look at. The home page is also a little static, I was thinking about creating a flash for it, which means the load time would probably be increase somewhat...so is that a plus, or not really?

Anyway, take a look at my site www.E-Retouch.com, and if you like it, please add a link to your site for us, and come visit us. If you don't, why not?

Take care.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 09:05 AM

I appreciate the comments you have made. I have added a small blurb about uploading pictures. I was in the process of updating the site to allow uploads directly, and just forgot to change the wording.

I'll discuss the background with the artists, see what they feel about it, though I will bring it up.

I will also bring up the dpi issue, because that's a good point and we've encountered that in some of our work.

I'll also look at updating the samples, as I'm sure we've got plenty to choose from that would be acceptable to display.

Thanks a lot for your comments. Any additional comments would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 09:07 AM

www.E-Retouch.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website