RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

need help on what's best on creating a website

Old 12-02-2006, 12:36 AM

need help on what's best on creating a website

Hi everyone,
I’m new at this forum and must say “WOW" what a great site! Lots of talented people here,

Anyway, I'm working on creating my first website and do have a few questions that I’m hoping to get some help on.

What’s quicker at loading when browsing through pages, Flash, PSP or any other program that I might yet to know?

Which program will give you a better picture transition, Flash, PSP or any other program that I might yet to know?

If adding video and sound to your welcome page, which is quicker to load, Flash, PSP or any other program that I might yet to know?

If on flash, will the length of music and video file slow down the loading time?

Where can I get a tutorial on creating my company name in signature form for the website that I’m interested in creating?

note; I have seen some company name or logo in the form of a signature and "it's just beautiful" and I think that’s what I want to create; an elegant looking cursive "signature" logo.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated and please don't be shy to guide me to the proper path that would help me on my quest to building my very own site.

THANKS
To you all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Re: need help on what's best on creating a website

I'll try to answer as best as I can. Just don't take this for gospel... these are just my opinions

What’s quicker at loading when browsing through pages, Flash, PSP or any other program that I might yet to know?

Avoid using flash or any other non-native to the browser mechanisms. With very few exceptions (video being one them ...) the more code you add, the slower things will run.

Which program will give you a better picture transition, Flash, PSP or any other program that I might yet to know?

From your question, I assume you are planning to show transitions of "before and after". I would rather see them side by side, but if you are intent in doing it that way, I would recommend JavaScript and DHTML. They will accomplish the same effect without having to have flash.

If adding video and sound to your welcome page, which is quicker to load, Flash, PSP or any other program that I might yet to know?

This is an area that flash does a good job. Converted video to flash works well. If you don't have the means to convert video to a stream format (quicktime, real, ms etc), try flash.

If on flash, will the length of music and video file slow down the loading time?

Yes. The more complex the movie, the slower things will run. That is another reason to do it using a streaming technology.

Where can I get a tutorial on creating my company name in signature form for the website that I’m interested in creating?

On the specific question of how to create a logo based on fonts, that is a very specialized topic and I'm not qualified to give you "guidance". However...

Start by taking a look at http://www.dafont.com. It has many free cursive and script fonts that you could use to create your "logo".
Afterwards, visit these website:
http://desktoppub.about.com/od/logos/Logo_Design.htm
http://www.fontworld.com/customfonts/fontlogo2.html
http://www.myfonts.com/browse/foundry/larabie/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEYtheONE
Hi everyone...
To you all...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 08:48 PM

Wow! so much information!...Thank You frank for your advise, your insights on the pros and cons of flash will definately help me on my ventures. On another note; I wanted to embed a video composition or a slideshow with music in the background onto my welcome/home page, but I was told by a co-worker that something like that could and will take for ever to load. yet, I have been at websites where a video or a slideshow is playing on the home/welcome page with hardly any delays or slow. why do you think is that? what program might they be using?

I do apologize for sooo many questions, I had someone I work with build me a site, and it is now 6 month later and my site is not done, and the little bit that is done is a disaster. So now, I will try it on my own and hope to get it right!

Once again,
Thanks Frank!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 09:29 AM

I have been at websites where a video or a slideshow is playing on the home/welcome page with hardly any delays or slow.

Do you have a URL that we could look at it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEYtheONE
Wow! so much information!...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 AM

this site helps you to create your own site. http://www.tucktail.com/ try it, i created my own site from this site templates only.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 AM

I have my site on www.carbonmade.com ...so easy.Don't think you could do roll overs but side by side is easy enough.$12 US per month.
I am not related to them in anyway apart from paying them my $12 a month ;-).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website