RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Unsolicitated Critique

Old 01-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Re: Unsolicitated Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasa
Because of the anonymous nature of the net, people feel they can criticize, belittle, mock or bully at will. You see it everyday..try and blow it off as means spirited people doing what they need to do to feel adequate..
What goes around comes around.

Lasa
It's amazing how many people actually think the net is anonymous, when in fact it is quite the opposite. With very little know-how, you can track people down in a matter of min's. That's when it comes round to bite them on the butt.
Most people who use an ID, Email or any other form of regular name on the net, can be traced using simple tools like Google and public records. Or their are methods to trace people via info left by their PC, and software that can track their activity. I must admit I've had some great fun with people coming on to a forum (not RP), who start flaming/spamming it. They soon shut up when you send them an Email, giving their home address and phone number etc. The net is neither a secure or anonymous place to start silly games, but there will always be people who will try. Treat them as a joke, because that is exactly what they are.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Daaaaaaaang Chris....

Ah'm Skeerd-a-You!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 03:09 AM

Nothing to be scared of m8, I only act in extreme circumstances.
The best example I can give was when a member of staff from a VERY large retail group in the UK (Dixons Store Group LTD), tried messing me about (tried messing up my site etc). This was done after a advised people on a faulty product they sold, and got 1000's of people to go in and get refunds. He left behind his IP and computer details in my site logs. That gave the rough location of the shop, and gave me an IP to look out for. With a little bit of software on my site, I set it up to gather info from the computer he was using, then lock him out of his PC. I then got his network login details, staff member name and number, what PC he was on in the shop, and the address of the shop. Sent all this info off (plus logs of activity) to the company HQ, Network admins and directors. Didn't take long for them to stop him.

I personally hate people who willingly damage another PC with what they know, when they could use their knowledge for good things. I have never done harm to another, but have traced people and let them know that they can be held responsible for their actions. Example of a flamer on another forum, was one that was doing it while on holiday. He was using the hotel internet Cafe to flame members. I traced him to the Hotel, then tracked down his home details. He shut up the second I gave him his home location and told him the name of the hotel he was in.
It isn't always easy, as some of the main hackers etc know all the tricks, and can hide themselves away behind other PC's. But the main culprits are usually not so clever, and give away more info than they realise

PS: You can find my location in a matter of seconds with google, but I have nothing to hide .
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 10:24 AM

Dude, I am SO in awe right now....
Seriously. I mean, it's not that I thought that was not possible or anything, but that is just awesome.

ChrisHoggy, using his powers to fight the forces of evil, in forums across the world!!

hehehe
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 02:06 PM

The packard Bell support forum (I'm there quite a bit) gets more flamers and fools than any other forum I've seen. It is quite amusing to see them curl up in a corner when they know you are on to them.
There will always be people who need teaching a lesson. Some see sense without intervention, where as others just need to be shown the error of their ways
Easiest way to get their info is to say "Is this a photo of you?" and link to an image on your site. As soon as they click it, you have all their system info and IP address in your site logs Simple trick, but they can't stop themselves clicking on the link to see what it is .
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 07:16 PM

You check your server logs for IP address? What does that tell you?
I thought the IP might tell you it belongs to Cox etc. How do you get who that is assigned to?
What computer information are you getting? Browser, OS?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2007, 03:49 AM

It gives you the IP address of the PC, OS, Browser, ISP and with that you can get telephone exchange or UBR area. With a little research it can give you an name, Email address or username. Then it's just a matter of tracking down his/her give-away mistakes while on the net, or using the right tools to get the info.
Details on how it is done isn't something to be discussed over the internet "EVER", as that would make me as stupid as the flamers/spammers themselves. But as many people will tell you, it is very easy to track people on the net. How do you think the police track down people without a search warrant to check ISP's logs or site logs? Everything needed is in the public domain, you just need to know where to look, and how to look
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 AM

Chris I'll try and stay on your good side...no flaming, no cursing, not even a bad thought...
Lasa
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2007, 09:19 AM

I agree with Ro. Block his email and forget it.

Art is ALWAYS in the "eye of the beholder" anyway.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2007, 11:12 AM

This is off-topic but,
If Cox gives out personal information from an IP address to someone outside of law enforcement, they will lose all their customers in a week.
Do you want your ISP releasing private info?
Isn't what you're doing illegal?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website