RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Unsolicitated Critique

Old 01-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Re: Unsolicitated Critique

Ok, I think this needs explaining. There is nothing illegal in accessing public records, that is why they are called public records. There is nothing illegal in tracing someone via public accessible information, as it is information put in to the public domain either with the consent of/or by the information owner.

At the end of the day, all you need is a name and area in order to get someones address and home phone number from the 100's of online directory enquiries services.

Lets take Mr Steven A. Tyler for an example . All his info is available on the net in a matter of 3-4 clicks and about 2 min's work. His full home address, phone number, ISP details, his ISP Email address, his hosting company, other domains he owns (more than one), when he bought them and much more. Thats if you want to search for it. If you take the easy option, you will not only find his home details, but his employers name, address/phone numbers and records of past employment. He openly publishes this info on his site (if you know where to look), and it took me all of 2-3 seconds to find it (I typed a 6 letter word in to my browser and pressed "Go").
I did this kind of thing as a school presentation once (without showing them what to do) I used only the Head teachers nick-name to start the search, and within a few mins I was ringing his mobile phone that was in his pocket and playing a demo track he recorded while in an amateur band. All the info was on the internet, I just needed to know where to/how to look for it.
This is why people need to take internet security as the most important part of the PC. If I can do it without doing anything other than legal searches and software, think of what the bad people can do
In 95% of the cases, it is the user that publishes their own info for people to find. It may be scattered around the internet, but it's all there

Last edited by chrishoggy; 01-28-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2007, 12:16 PM

everyone will always have something to say about someone elses work. thats just how this industry turns. and the only way to grow is to listen to what people have to say. either its something positive or negative, it should always be taken as encouragement.

when i first started, i had a lot of people sh-t on my work while i thought it was really good. instead of getting upset, i asked myself why they feel that way, and what is it that i can do to make things better. if you were to just get upset, or just brush things under the carpet, or not even giving time of day, in the end you are only hurting yourself at excelling to the next level.

all im saying is that an opinion should always be helpful. though at times they can be a bit hurtful, its just the reality of things. deal with it.

ive look at both retouchthis and justgrafx, and i feel both of you have a long way to go in this industry. now something like that can be taken offensively, but i mean no disrespect. there are just clear signs of retouching done on the photos, and ive always been taught that a proper retouched picture is a picture that doesnt look retouched at all.

good luck to the both of you in this field, and remember the most important thing of them all .. always have fun. and keep an open mind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2007, 11:03 AM

If you have a skill intended for the service business that is professional retouching, you need to consider whether your clients appreciate (pay for) your skill level...there will always be those who taunt or criticize. Our business is full of snarkiness and trash-talking, as are most other businesses out there...

Personally, I love it when someone finds issue with my work; it means that I need to be more critical of my work, before others are. In many cases, my standards of excellence are higher than my clients, and that's what they are willing to pay for. But not always...I appreciate when a client or a peer pushes me to excel. And I like being called Chief.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaRonology101
everyone will always have something to say about someone elses work. thats just how this industry turns. and the only way to grow is to listen to what people have to say. either its something positive or negative, it should always be taken as encouragement.

when i first started, i had a lot of people sh-t on my work while i thought it was really good. instead of getting upset, i asked myself why they feel that way, and what is it that i can do to make things better. if you were to just get upset, or just brush things under the carpet, or not even giving time of day, in the end you are only hurting yourself at excelling to the next level.

all im saying is that an opinion should always be helpful. though at times they can be a bit hurtful, its just the reality of things. deal with it.

ive look at both retouchthis and justgrafx, and i feel both of you have a long way to go in this industry. now something like that can be taken offensively, but i mean no disrespect. there are just clear signs of retouching done on the photos, and ive always been taught that a proper retouched picture is a picture that doesnt look retouched at all.

good luck to the both of you in this field, and remember the most important thing of them all .. always have fun. and keep an open mind.
I'm pleased to say that I will be launching my new website the end of April. It will showcase not only my diversity in retouching styles, but illustration as well as graphic design. Websites are rarely updated on time when someone is swamped and I am ashamed to say that most of the work on my website is over 2 years old. Please hold critiques on my retouching ability until then
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 AM

Grafx....try looking at his work in a possitive way, his b&a's show a lot of minor mistakes like leaving cloning trails, and softness resulting from using the healing brush where he should have been using the stamp tool.
cleaning up most of the skin, but at the same time leaving some important areas like nose and lips still in need of work…etc.
also, leaving marks of obvious distortion where he liquified the nose in the 2nd image i attached.

next time you work an image, you'll remember these little things and double check your work,

and i dont mean to be slamming this guys work at all, its just a method of learning i use myself for my work, it really helps me up the quality of my work. I study lots of retouchers images and learn from them. the ones with the mistakes help me sort out my own!

i hope this made some kind of sense?!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img1.jpg (86.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg img2.jpg (81.0 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2007, 12:21 PM

Hmmm...speaking of updating website. How large do you guys recommend samples to be? I think mine currently are really too small and you cannot see the detail. I know that everyone one seems to love the rollovers, but about how large do you think I should go and still maintain some sort of decent load speed?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2007, 09:38 PM

Smile Re: Unsolicitated Critique

lol its funny, i like byRo for his great knowledge of this retouchng hobby of ours, but now i see we both share opinions on other matters as well, great!

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafx
I am opening up this retoucher Steven A. Tyler at:
http://www.retouchthis.info/
To group critique. This kind soul decided to send me this email:

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:40:35 -0500 [01/24/07 19:40:35 EST]
To: grafx@justgrafx.com
Subject: Your retouching...

You¹ve got a long way to go chief... The model/fashion part on your site is
something else! Most of them are so over brushed that they look like wax
dummies.

Please feel free to drop him an email or two. His stuff looks pretty good, but it too is a little over airbrushed. We all know that my clients request such a look, but to send someone an email like the one above is just a bit mean at heart. Granted, I'm being mean as well. I just feel he should have a critique of his own. Keep it honest and fair, but let him know he has room to improve as we all do.
this is SO awesome. i work at a retouching studio and we get alot of unsolicited portfolios and resumes, but steven a. tyler was a standout:

- first off, his name is steven tyler

- secondly, the CD he sent us with his work was ridiculous, not the work on the CD but the CD itself. the image on the face of it was a crotch-up portrait of himself, low-heroic wide-angle perspective, arms crossed, holding a stylus, wearing a muscle shirt, some beauty/skin work face in the background. the cheesiest thing i've ever seen, like an action-movie poster, starring a retoucher, and pretty awesome in a "you-are-completely-ridiculous-and-completely-unaware" kinda way

- thirdly, his resume and cover letter are the most egotisical pieces of work ever. i mean, you're supposed to be confident and sell yourself well, but for some reason he just came off as a cocky bastard who's incredibly impressed with himself, or not confident at all and overcompensating, and exactly the type of person that i spend my life avoiding

- i'm not going to go into a critique of the work on his website, but the most we could hire him for is a paid internship. too many bad habits that we'd have to cure him of first before we let him work with any "real" clients.

in the end, his website/cover letter was passed around the office via IMs for about a week, and his ridiculous CD was pinned to my wall for a month. steven a. tyler was the joke of the office

and the idea that he's trolling other people's websites and sending them emails like THAT made me laugh out loud. i only wish i had kept his submission package around
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 AM

Thumbs up Re: Unsolicitated Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafx View Post
I am opening up this retoucher Steven A. Tyler at:
http://www.retouchthis.info/
To group critique. This kind soul decided to send me this email:

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:40:35 -0500 [01/24/07 19:40:35 EST]
To: grafx@justgrafx.com
Subject: Your retouching...

You¹ve got a long way to go chief... The model/fashion part on your site is
something else! Most of them are so over brushed that they look like wax
dummies.

Please feel free to drop him an email or two. His stuff looks pretty good, but it too is a little over airbrushed. We all know that my clients request such a look, but to send someone an email like the one above is just a bit mean at heart. Granted, I'm being mean as well. I just feel he should have a critique of his own. Keep it honest and fair, but let him know he has room to improve as we all do.
Hi grafx

pls just ignore this sort of critique there is one thing giving a negative critique there is another to actually insulting people i myself is recovering from a slap in the face when asking for comment for my site i did mentioned that i am a newbie with photoshop etc but i got insulted and being compared with the master vicki hansen and all the professionals out there lol.

just do your work your way and what you believe feel is right if your clients are happy then you should be happy too.

regards

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 AM

chrishoggy,
I think it's distance that makes it alright with your typical "netnerd" too, im new to all this forum stuff myself, but what i see is a total lack of reality! someone who might flame you on the net, i think might well cower in the corner if they were ever in stricking distance! If you had a response from someone in your area you might get angry enough to HUNT them, but from half way across the planet, what do u do? other than "I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I".
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website