Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

web pages

Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 AM
web pages

I know this question has been asked before,standard web page sizes were/are 800x600,but with new monitors and higher resolution is that still the case or are they now made a bigger standard
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Re: web pages

I'm not sure where I read it, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of users now set their monitor to 1024x768, and less and less use 800x600. Though I myself like to see everything at once so I have my monitor set as large as it will go (1280x1024).

If I were designing a web page I would consider who my target user is. If it's a high tech site for fellow techies I would use a larger resolution. An online photo gallery for Grandma to look at, I would go with 800x600.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 10:20 AM

my answer is somewhat similar.... but maybe it will give some more insight...

there actually several factors that that will determine how a webpage designer setup there webpage size.!

now first... it goes to what most people screen resolution they use... 10 years ago most people were using 45 and 15 " monitors with 640x480 resolution in most cases... and webpage designers setup there webpage for sizes of 640x480 ...

but nowadays people are buying much larger size monitors where screen resolutions can be in the 1024 range for easier viewing... that give the webpage designer much more flexibility.... on what size they build there webpage...

but another very important factor come into it.. and that is how much viewing area , by the user, is dedicated to the browser!!! and this the programmer has to take into account!! .... and most USERS do not dedicate browser to the full viewing area of the screen!!.... for example... on my system I have 1024 setup however!! i like my favorites list shown on the left side and that eliminate appx 200 pixals.. smile.... of the browser viewing area...

so what the bottom line.. well most webpage designers are basing there webpage size on the 800x600 viewing area!!!!

now I try to find some up to date stats...., but some of the stats are a little old..... smile.. but your professional designer they know where they are... smile.... but this link , even th ough a little out of date... goes into some numbers and good explanationof things...

Originally Posted by zganie
I know this question has been asked before,standard web page sizes were/are 800x600,but with new monitors and higher resolution is that still the case or are they now made a bigger standard
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2007, 06:59 AM

Not everybody is buying bigger monitors. Many people, myself included use a laptop as my primary computer and web pages that arbitrarily set dimensions, don't get a look from me

If your target audience is other graphic folks, then by all means target their huge monitors. If, on the other hand, your target audience is the people who can't do their own graphic work, you'd better make your page layout to fit a small screen or better yet, make it fluid.

When you're selling, you need to speak the language of the buyer.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website