RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

My new Web Page.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Smile My new Web Page.

I finally have a web page up. Sure would appreciate some honest but friendly critiques.

http://www.davesdfr.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Re: My new Web Page.

Straight forward and easy to navigate, Dave. When I saw your header ("Digital Film Recovery") my first thought was that you recovered files from bad memory cards. I hope you will add more before and after samples as you build your portfolio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks for that Swampy. I have more to add as soon as I can get them ready, but at this point I really wanted to get the site live. Also, there are some before and after images in the 3 links on the main page. I will eventually move most of that to the Gallery, but I already had that as I did it for a demo CD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Patron

Thoughts from a non-pro (and then some!):
Good clean design, not too artsy, navigation buttons stand out (a little too much for my taste, but hey . . .) nicely.

Like it did Swampy,"Digital Film Recovery" gave me pause. Lots of interpretations for that phrase that don't match what you're doing, which is photo preservation by digital means. Don't ask me how to get that into a catchy company name, though.

I had a couple of carps. I'd limit the front page to just the top part, with links to the subsequent exposition. Don't know how representative I am, but to me a site that requires scrolling down repeatedly to see all of the first page seems amateurish. And I'm with Swampy about the gallery. Needs before/after shots. Again, I'm maybe not representative, but I get really annoyed at having to download pdfs to see things. I hope those are just a temporary expedience.

All in all, the site is well organized. It seems to have all the information a prospective customer would like to have, in an easily accessible form (except for those dratted pdfs ).

Carole
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
The photos on this page all came from 35mm slides that had been in storage. The slides contain a lot a dust and scratches, and had lots of fading. The photos were restored, removing the dust and scratches, and color correction, and tone adjustements were made to bring them back close to there original condition.
Try:

These photos are from 35mm slides that were faded, scratched and covered in dust after years in storage. We removed the dust and scratches and adjusted the color and tone to bring them back close to their original condition.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 05:38 PM

Friendly: the blue buttons are hard for me to read. The inner shadow effect makes the text look blurry. They are also blocky and clunky.
A lot of your text is large and a lot is bolded. You really don't see that much anymore. The site has a "1995" look to it. Sorry, but that was my immediate take on the site. Early web design had a lot of large buttons, bevels, larger text, bolded text.
Sites related to photography ought to be sleek and "design-ery" in my friendly opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 PM

Thank Lurch, and winwintoo. Excellent feedback. I really appreciate the suggestions. The statement on the Gallery page is fixed, and it looks like I really need to hop on getting rid of the PDFs. Yes, that was only temporary. I worked on the site all weekend, and wanted to have it up before going back to work tomorow, and I already had the PDFs. Anyway, this is the kind of constructive feedback that I really value, so I really thank you for taking the time to take a look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 07:03 PM

Building a website is not for the faint-hearted. I have the technical skills (most of them anyway) to get a website up and running, but i lack the "flair" for web design. I admire anyone who just goes for it.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Ok folks, I appreciate your comments, and I got the hint on the buttons. What do you think of something like this?

Also, the PDFs are gone, and the Gallery has been added to.
Attached Images
File Type: png TabSample.png (4.6 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Patron

The button/tabs look much better. Now if you desaturated the blue some . . .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website