RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

My New Website your comments pls

Old 06-10-2007, 02:39 AM

Smile My New Website your comments pls

hello all,

I've just finished and published my website.

http://www.photo-makeover.biz.

I would be happy to receive all your comments.

many thanks

regards

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 08:58 AM

Re: My New Website your comments pls

Sergio, welcome to RTP.

JMHO... The thumbs are too small and I find your site difficult to navigate. Generic icons for links to various services? I don't know, but overall navigation was confusing to me.

Your work.... critique... I found my way to your sample where you move a couple out of a bar and into an "estate" ball room setting. They just didn't seem to fit there. The lighting and coloring, especially of the man, were too blue and the setting you put him in is casing red glows. Detail, detail, detail.

Also, on your opening page with the gentleman in kilts image. The colors were "fake" to me. Lime green jacket on a period (date sensitive) photo? Not real.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Sergio, welcome to RTP.

JMHO... The thumbs are too small and I find your site difficult to navigate. Generic icons for links to various services? I don't know, but overall navigation was confusing to me.

Your work.... critique... I found my way to your sample where you move a couple out of a bar and into an "estate" ball room setting. They just didn't seem to fit there. The lighting and coloring, especially of the man, were too blue and the setting you put him in is casing red glows. Detail, detail, detail.

Also, on your opening page with the gentleman in kilts image. The colors were "fake" to me. Lime green jacket on a period (date sensitive) photo? Not real.
hi swampy

thanks for your comment , could you please be a bit more specific i don't quiet understand your criticism, i use an album to put all the photos in instead of navigation bars, perhaps i need to explaing how to navigate it. pls explain more about which man were too blue. i wait your reply, any comment is welcome.

thanks

regards

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 04:49 PM

This is the blue man... He needs color correcting to match his suroundings. So does the woman for that matter. They both are reflecting blue and the room lighting is casting warm reds.

I'm also posting the page of icons that bothers me. People can get lost here because everything looks the same. You are advertising different services, but they all look the same and the text is very small.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue-man.jpg (29.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg just-icons.jpg (23.1 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 04:56 PM

hi,
well here my 2 cents worth but keep in mind i am novice about somethings...
1. the general look and feel of the site I found to be fine..
2. I had no problems navagating....
3. the gallery I llike, it simple straight forward.. pictures are side by side... I like the idea of significant contrast of the before and after pictures..
4. as far as that picture on the home page.. the colors always a bone of contentions..smile... do you go for natural or to enphasize the colors? ... however.....the sodier's jacket is to me too green and the same with the kilt.... in that era the jacket would be like a olive green or drab olive green..... and the kelt would be a dark navy blue not a bright blue. especially for the regular uniform...which tends to always be plainer/subdued.. I search around for pictures of that era and came up with this... the olive color seems to be a constant for all the scottish regiments...
http://www.liverpoolscottish.org.uk/highlandim1.htm

the gallery
a. meging gallery.. i like the way the plane picture was done... but the guy and gal... I was expecting to see the bottom half of the guy...thru the chair backing.... and i didn't... hences it sort of look unnatural

b. the montage...didn't work for me, i thought the horse was to dominent.. it in the middle of the picture, it grab your attention much more so than the kid! .... and that shot of half a kid.. smile... didn't look natural that horizontal cut bother me... maybe bluring heavyly the bottom would work better.... , one idea.. put the horse shadow in the middle then put one of the kids shot on top of it and then put the two shots of the kid on the sides and make them alittle smaller.. that just an idea... oh.. I can't find it right now... there a thread, on this board on a montage using a western background... if i can find it that would maybe give youmore ideas on that... it a good thread..
c. the color enhancment gallery... didn't do anything for me... changing b/w to color..... that picture on the home page, if it was in this section, would really show what you can do with color enhancment...

well anyway those are my 2 cents worth..... overall i like your site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
hello all,

I've just finished and published my website.

http://www.photo-makeover.biz.

I would be happy to receive all your comments.

many thanks

regards

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2007, 02:19 AM

Talking Re: My New Website your comments pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
This is the blue man... He needs color correcting to match his suroundings. So does the woman for that matter. They both are reflecting blue and the room lighting is casting warm reds.

I'm also posting the page of icons that bothers me. People can get lost here because everything looks the same. You are advertising different services, but they all look the same and the text is very small.

Hi Swampy

thanks for your comment but so far you seems to be the only one that has problem navigating my website. Please see the comments of Jerryb it speak volume i am glad i have a comment like him because the website was meant to be straight forward i chose to use a gallery for my services instead of nav bar i can't understand how you can get lost unless you can't read english to see there are different services written there. you are telling me i am advertising different services but they are all the same, how did you work that out, would you say the digital image surgery e.g. replacing a tooth, removing freckles are the same services as my colorizing old black and white photos, i don't think so. there must be something wrong with your pc as i have done the text size 16. anyway overall i am satisfied with my website thats what it is all about i have designed my website myself in DW8 and photo editing using photoshop cs2 for a newbie that has learn photoshop in 3 weeks i would say it's good. as for the blue man the couple was satisfied with the result it was exactly what they were after an estate room with chandelier as long as my client is happy i am happy. I show my clients the result of any work done before they have to pay anything when they are fully satisfied then i get the work done the photo came out quiet nice as i use a good printing shop to print all my photos. As for the green fake color you mentioned i think the jacket meant to be some green colour, i am proud of my coloring they don't look sprayed on, pls visit my site again and see, i've seen worst coloring than mine. for a newbie i am happy and proud.

regards

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 AM

Thumbs up Re: My New Website your comments pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryb View Post
hi,
well here my 2 cents worth but keep in mind i am novice about somethings...
1. the general look and feel of the site I found to be fine..
2. I had no problems navagating....
3. the gallery I llike, it simple straight forward.. pictures are side by side... I like the idea of significant contrast of the before and after pictures..
4. as far as that picture on the home page.. the colors always a bone of contentions..smile... do you go for natural or to enphasize the colors? ... however.....the sodier's jacket is to me too green and the same with the kilt.... in that era the jacket would be like a olive green or drab olive green..... and the kelt would be a dark navy blue not a bright blue. especially for the regular uniform...which tends to always be plainer/subdued.. I search around for pictures of that era and came up with this... the olive color seems to be a constant for all the scottish regiments...
http://www.liverpoolscottish.org.uk/highlandim1.htm

the gallery
a. meging gallery.. i like the way the plane picture was done... but the guy and gal... I was expecting to see the bottom half of the guy...thru the chair backing.... and i didn't... hences it sort of look unnatural

b. the montage...didn't work for me, i thought the horse was to dominent.. it in the middle of the picture, it grab your attention much more so than the kid! .... and that shot of half a kid.. smile... didn't look natural that horizontal cut bother me... maybe bluring heavyly the bottom would work better.... , one idea.. put the horse shadow in the middle then put one of the kids shot on top of it and then put the two shots of the kid on the sides and make them alittle smaller.. that just an idea... oh.. I can't find it right now... there a thread, on this board on a montage using a western background... if i can find it that would maybe give youmore ideas on that... it a good thread..
c. the color enhancment gallery... didn't do anything for me... changing b/w to color..... that picture on the home page, if it was in this section, would really show what you can do with color enhancment...

well anyway those are my 2 cents worth..... overall i like your site.
Hi JerryB

Thanks very much for your lovely comments what you said is exactly what i was trying to achieve, i use a gallery for my services instead of nav bar i thought the gallery would be more neater for the photos. i took notes of each comment and appreciate it very much i shall do a re-think. thanks for the link for the scottish regiment uniform i've searched google but came across one that was fairly green like the jacket i've done i have also ask for the colour from a scottish war website which i am waiting for the result then i shall colorize the soldier again. i have got the soldier in my color blk and white photo section, i shall stick to just colorize old black and white photo in my colour manipulation section though i do like the color combination between grascal and full color. the guy and gal picture was merged as they requested it, the guy photo is half that's the original way the photo was taken. Both the couple chose those specific photos of themselves to be merged as they were both 18 yrs old in their photos and the pics were taken before they met hence the mentioned of it on the page as for the montage i shall search forum for the tutorial on photo montage.

again jerryb thanks very much for your comments, after the first comment i got yours was a breath of fresh air.

my regards

sergio

Last edited by sergio2263; 06-11-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Sergio

Retouching is not my forte, but I've seen much better examples done by others. Take a look at any of the tumbnails on the top row of John Steele's portfolio over on NAPP. http://www.photoshopuser.com/members...ew/image/49357
Or browse around some of the galleries done by members of this forum who do fantastic retouching work.

>>have designed my website myself in DW8 and photo editing using photoshop cs2 for a newbie that has learn photoshop in 3 weeks i would say it's good

If you have managed to learn PS in three weeks, then you are an absolute genius! I've been Photoshopping for about 25 years and still feel I have MUCH to learn.

>there must be something wrong with your pc as i have done the text size 16.

Nothing wrong with my PC, but did you consider the differences in video display between PC and Mac when you set up your web page? The text on your services page is smaller than on your welcome page and my 65 year old eyes find it hard to read at 1680x1050 screen resolution.

I'm not looking to be negative, Sergio. You asked for a critique and I'm just giving you my honest opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 AM

Swampy, it seems Sergio does not want any criticism.

Sergio: The gallery is not a gallery, just the same icon with diferent titles, you need thumbnails and I think that's what Swampy meant.

I don't like your work, I think the repair is simple and sloppy cloning and your colorations skills are far from perfect.

Where's Ant now? He could have something to say too, I'm sure

I advice you to take a look at Vikki's work. http://www.pbase.com/vhansen/colorings&page=1

Now SHE IS GOOD

Don't proud your self because you're new, if you are new, you shouldn't charge anything, if you have a professional web site and charge ppl to do the work, then you should be judged as a PROFESSIONAL.

And one more thing... DON'T ASK FOR C&C IF YOU CAN'T TAKE IT!

Have a nice day and keep working, practise is everything

Good luck

Natalia
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 PM

Talking Re: My New Website your comments pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Swampy, it seems Sergio does not want any criticism.

Sergio: The gallery is not a gallery, just the same icon with diferent titles, you need thumbnails and I think that's what Swampy meant.

I don't like your work, I think the repair is simple and sloppy cloning and your colorations skills are far from perfect.

Where's Ant now? He could have something to say too, I'm sure

I advice you to take a look at Vikki's work. http://www.pbase.com/vhansen/colorings&page=1

Now SHE IS GOOD

Don't proud your self because you're new, if you are new, you shouldn't charge anything, if you have a professional web site and charge ppl to do the work, then you should be judged as a PROFESSIONAL.

And one more thing... DON'T ASK FOR C&C IF YOU CAN'T TAKE IT!

Have a nice day and keep working, practise is everything

Good luck

Natalia
Hi Godmother

yes i can take criticism and i appreciate all the comments, we are all different we all work in our way, like i said i don't take peoples' money unless they are satisfied, by the way i've seen vikki's work and i know where she learnt her photo colorize too, i am doing my homework regarding photo retouching and colorize. if i am going to go around looking at other peoples' work and then want to be like them i will never finished, i take on board every day to improve my business, we are all different some are better than others, i repeat again what satisfied my clients satisfied me. i've seen website worst off than mine too. I am proud for what i've achieved for me i have a right to say i am proud of myself in the real world, we can't all be like vikki I WILL ADMIT 100% SHE IS PERFECT but i will work to my ability not vikki's. it takes a poor man to get rich not the other way round, as a lone mum with 2 boys with not enough money to go by plus fitting my time between them, domestic etc, ducking and diving, i taught myself website design then the photo retouching and colorize, i intend to grow with my business. i didn't expect a prize winning, you win some you loose some, well i have had a possible feedback so i am happy with that.

thanks again for all your comments.

sergio
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website