Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Website Critique Please.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Website Critique Please.

Hi there,

I've had my website up and running for a while now, and have mostly got good feedback about it, but I have also heard of some great improvements for it. So I am going to throw a few more dollars at it to make some minor improvements. It is a bit bare as I haven't had the chance to shoot anything new as of late, but I would appreciate it if you could let me know what you think and if there are any improvements you could recommend?

Cheers Shaun.

Last edited by MacBurg; 07-04-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:06 AM
Re: Website Critique Please.

Hi Shaun,

It appears that you have already made your decision, but I am always wary about building an entire website in Flash. While it's true that most computers have the flash player installed, to those who don't, you completely deny them the ability to see any of your content.

One fix, is to detect if a user doesn't have flash, and if they don't, present them with a straight HTML site. This is a lot of work though, and probably unrealistic.

Onto other points...
I am viewing your website with a 17" laptop set at 1920x1200, while this is a high resolution, it certainly isn't unheard of, especially in the graphics and photo communities. Your flash 'stage' is not large enough for this resolution. The horizontal black bar at the top of the page doesn't go fully across the screen. For this reason, you may want to think about making a rectangular frame for the flash, and center it horizontally and vertically.

"Automotion" registered as "Animation" in my brain the first few times I saw it, and therefore was confused when the page had no animations.. I personally have never heard of the word Automotion.

Overall, I like the creative navigation scheme, it reminds me of one that I used a few years back at . You may want to consider integrating your flash into an HTML page as I did in the website above, it could give your website the creative professional look you want.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2007, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the input Guy, unfortunately my designer restricted my image size to 645x430, which is tiny compared with my original image resolution, so I will talk to him about getting the images on the site enlarged. The colored aperture logo is kinda my business logo, its on my business cards and invoices, so I wanted to carry it through onto the website, and it certainly was a challenge intergrating a round object into a square and horizontal environment. I'm going to get the "Personal A" "Personal B" segments renamed to reflect new categories, "Automotion" was a word I came up with to categorize my vehicle photography and I think I'll stick with it. I was also thinking of having a forward and back arrow appear on the right and left of the image respectively when you hover your mouse over the image, this would make navigation through the thumbnails easy compared with having to manually click on seperate thumbnails.

Any other comments are welcome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 AM

Hi shaun
Most people recommend you do not use flash (although every one seems to)

Your Design is nice, the problem is your opening page with the slices,some upside down is not a good choice it might seem like nit picking but, its not good visually, also the load time was very slow for me

just my opinion zganie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website