RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

my website - at the moment solely photography-focused... suggestions?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Cool my website - at the moment solely photography-focused... suggestions?

Hi guys!

I'm a photographer who is heading down the retouching path, or trying to at least. I've been shooting for a few years now and have built up what I feel is a somewhat solid body of photographic work.

Since I'm just getting started, my website is focused on the images (fine art/documentary/whatever) I've shot rather than any retouching work I might have done to them.

So, firstly, I'm wondering - how crucial are before/after photos on a website in order to get hired - either with an agency or freelance? I'm really new to this and I can use some seasoned advice.

Secondly, do you think there is a way to seamlessly and elegantly mix a fine art portfolio with a retouching portfolio? Or is it just best to have two separate websites? Having focused on fine art for the past years, it's strange to imagine removing the focus from that, but one's gotta make a living.

Any words are appreciated. Thank you!!

http://quadrantgrove.net

Noele
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 AM

Re: my website - at the moment solely photography-focused... suggestions?

As far a showing off your retouching abilities, you definitely need before and after comparisons. There's no other way for people to judge your skills because they need to see where the photo started.

I see no problem in putting your retouching materials on the same page as your photos. Many photographers do both and most all do post production clean up or pay someone else to do it.

I visited your sight and found your photography pretty good. You seem to have an eye for framing a shot and getting interesting angles and expressions. My only criticism would be to say I find most of your shots too soft. May be what you are wanting to project, but most could stand some sharpening IMHO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 12:18 PM

thanks for the advice, swampy. i'll have a look through, the softness hasn't really been apparent to me, maybe because like you said, it's what i want to project - lack of sharpness is something i've embraced about 35mm film, along with its other character like high grain. i'm not a fan of digital or large format for my own work though it's of course a big advantage with commercial work...

thanks for your feedback to do with the points i raised as well...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 01:01 PM

Hi noele,I looked at your site most of the archives section did not open for me
Also you should come up with a better design for your site.Your photographs need major editing and work some should be black and white if you want I can show you what I mean by your ophotos need work

Sorry Noele just my opinion Zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 AM

Re: my website - at the moment solely photography-

I can see you want somewhere to show off your photo's.
I think it may look better to center your content I don't like the way it jumps from right to left.Also the navigation is not very clear and very small maybe make them into buttons.Also maybe add a header.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website