RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

My Redone Site

Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 AM

My Redone Site

I was trying for a simple, fast-loading site---hopefully I accomplished it. All the images are HDR.

http://www.caltel.com/~jforkner/

Thanks for looking. Any feedback is appreciated.

Jack
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 PM

Re: My Redone Site

Hi Jack,

You photographs are great but the entrance is too slow. Can you make a non flash front and see if it can be faster.

I almost didn't enter, but when I did the pictures were worthwhile!

Asher
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2008, 11:48 PM

If you have high speed or even medium speed Internet. The site loads fine. I also tested the site across the world using some tool our website company has. Your site loads under 10 secs in most of the world. So dont worry about what Asher said. He may have a slower connection.

You might run into problems is how you scripted the music. Its a wave music file linked as a plugin. Not a great way to stream music. Replace the wave file with a flash streaming music, or even a hidden mp3. You will get better sound, faster load up, plus a smaller file

Also why not make your logo on your pages a gif, or transparent Png. so that the background can show through and you wont have a gray box around your logo. I think this would look better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Patron

Just curious..
Why is it that now a days when I go to someones site I have to wait 10 seconds for an entry page to load so I can click a single button to enter the site I should have been directed to in the first place?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Just curious..
Why is it that now a days when I go to someones site I have to wait 10 seconds for an entry page to load so I can click a single button to enter the site I should have been directed to in the first place?
Absolutely!

Further there's a major desgin issue. We have something of a situation where what one is offering with the music and beautiful signature is not what one gets!

The opening is artistic, lean and implies a romantic journey. We discover we can escape to your real front page and then we have twenty tiny thumbs crowded together like windows in a commercial office building. Nothing distinguished itself at that size. Everything is symmetrical.

Would it not be more effective to have just say 10 larger thumbs on the right and one georgeous image in a large window on the left, for example. Now for zero eye work on behalf of the viewer and potential buyer, you have already enticed them and seduced them with your wrok.

Currently, the attractive opening Flash page wastes the micro-time web surfers allow and with an office building to deal with, might just give up.

Excuse me being so bold, but I just think my own feelings might be helpful for you to thorw in the mix!

Asher
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 08:36 AM

Thanks all for the critique.

Asher - The front page is not Flash, but loading the music is what was taking so long. I removed it while I look into a more efficient method of loading it (such as Matthew suggests). I appreciate your format recommendation, and will give it a try. As you may have guessed, I'm using a software tool to create the photo album since I wanted it easy to update. I'll either have to find another tool or write my own.

Matthew - Thanks for the recommendations. I'll investigate alternative ways on loading the music. I also appreciate your suggestion about the .png files. I had not used that format before. I changed the logos as you suggest, and it looks much better.

OlBaldy - I can't speak for the other sites you visit, but loading the music was what took so long on my site. I agree with you, in principle. I hate Flash sites that take a while to load. That's why I didn't use Flash on mine. I was somewhat bothered by the somewhat lengthy loading time of the music I added, but decided to give it a try anyway. I do appreciate your comments.

Jack
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforkner View Post
OlBaldy - loading the music was what took so long on my site. I was somewhat bothered by the somewhat lengthy loading time of the music I added, but decided to give it a try anyway.
Jack
Let me restate my rant..
Why is it that now a days when I go to someones site I am directed to an entry page to enter the site?

Why make people jump through the hoop of pushing a button to see your work when the express purpose of being there is to see your work..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 07:01 PM

OlBaldy,

I don’t have a good answer to your rant. I can only say that my purpose of an entry page is one of introduction---sort of like shaking hands with someone you first meet prior to finding out about them.

That said, you make a good argument. I will have to consider abandoning my entry page and going directly to the photos.

BTW, how about a link to your website?

Jack
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforkner View Post
OlBaldy,
BTW, how about a link to your website?
Jack
I am just an old, ranting, fuddy-duddy,
who has not found a reason to go to the trouble of maintaining a web site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2008, 07:47 AM

Kinda what I thought. But I appreciate your critique anyway.

Jack
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website