RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Opinions Wanted

Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Opinions Wanted

I have posted my site here before. But when I look at how many people have taken a look at the site and how many have responded. There is a huge gap. It seems that other people get a lot more responses then I do and I don't know why. Maybe my work sucks? Maybe my site sucks? I have not been out on my own for a long time and think I need some changes to my gallery. I am also thinking about adding another gallery to separate fashion from my grungy stuff and to get some more work up there. Opinions and/or advice would be helpful.

Thanks, -W

http://immortalimaging.net
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 AM

Re: Opinions Wanted

William,
I just happened to stumble across your posting and curiosity took me to your site. The work looks great IMHO, but I had to go to Internet Explorer to view it. In my preferred browser - Firefox - the site never gets past the initial 'loading' graphic. Maybe that's got something to do with it?

Mike A.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2008, 09:55 AM

I had the same problem. But I don't have Internet Explorer. Besides that, The "views" counter only shows 2 people have viewed this thread. Hardly enough to imply you are being ignored since both of us have responded to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 AM

I have not heard of browser issues before. I actually use a company that does these sites for a bunch of photographers. I will send them an email.

Thanks for replying! The last time I put this up I had 156 people look and 2 replies.

Thanks again, -W
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2008, 10:27 AM

156/2 that's about normal around here. Many people may look, but they don't have a solution or comment because they either don't know an answer or don't feel "qualified" to make a critique. A couple years ago this wasn't the case so much because the forum wasn't as diverse or as big.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 AM

I use Firefox as well and had no problems loading the page. Something that I noticed on your page is that because of the size of the images on the web, some images don't really look retouched so much as just re-cropped. Although I'm sure there was quite a bit more done to them it's hard to see. Maybe do closer crops on a few of the images to make that detail of what was retouched come across more pronounced and really highlight your skills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM

Over all a nicely designed portfolio of your work, jagerman.
The quality of your work is prevalent and consistent, too!

In the "About" section have you given any consideration to adding a photo of yourself?
What about a map, et al, to your studio location (assuming you wish to have potential clients come see you in person, etc)?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2008, 12:28 PM

Hello jagerman,
First keep in mind I am not a professional, I am just a hobbyist but my thoughts...

1. The quality of work looks real good to me. although as far as the before and after pictures... to a untrained eye a person may not ready see a difference between your before/after images...

2. most people like to see extremes between before and after plus it really shows off your abilities. And that what important.. you want them to see your ability and for them to "easily" see... if you get subtle.. you lose lose them!

3. I notice in the "about" section you you do a lot of different services, and that brought me back to the portfolio section . I am wondering if you setup the porfolio section with subsections to reflect what you mentioned for some of the services you do offer if that would be beneficial!

4. I was sort of unsure what your target audience/customers were! many time that makes a difference on how the site looks and feel.. but that me..

those are my thoughts, from a novice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerman View Post
I have posted my site here before. But when I look at how many people have taken a look at the site and how many have responded. There is a huge gap. It seems that other people get a lot more responses then I do and I don't know why. Maybe my work sucks? Maybe my site sucks? I have not been out on my own for a long time and think I need some changes to my gallery. I am also thinking about adding another gallery to separate fashion from my grungy stuff and to get some more work up there. Opinions and/or advice would be helpful.

Thanks, -W

http://immortalimaging.net
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM

William
LOOKS good on Safari.
Your work (which you seem to have alot of) looks very good.
So I am not so sure what your complaints are about, Keep up the GOOD work.
Best, R
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks for all the great comments! I need fresh eyes to give me fresh opinions so that I know if I am on the right track. I am trying to cut ties with the photographer that I am still dependent on on for the majority of my income and I just needed some advice to make sure I am not crazy going out on my own.

Thanks again!!!!

-W
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website