Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

HELP! What should i do

Old 06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
HELP! What should i do

Ok many of you all know i have a new website up.

My problem is im lost on what direction to take the site. Here is the problem. just recently added an option and its having a positive and negative effect.

The site was original designed for commercial and retail studios that use cromakey software. Since most of the software is very basic and meant for a fast work flow. I had a lot of studios asking for me to have more color variations of each backdrop, so they can match the peoples clothing. So i came up with solution for that by adding a rainbow of colors to each backdrop. That worked great for the studios

Now the problem, Im getting new people to the site that look at it as i just added a small assortment of backdrops in many colors.

So to counter act that i started added more backdrops, now my studios are complaining that there are to many backdrops, and they liked the old site that had only a select few backdrops and many color options.

No matter what i know that the price options for the site are way less then other sites. But im torn between have a solution for commercial studios, and a solution for people who just want as many backdrops as they possible get there hands on.

I Find it odd that when i only sold 200 backdrops, at $99.00. I had no problems. Now with a mix of the color options and adding more backdrops. Im running into complaints about the options.

Im lost. If i reduce my backdrops down then i have studios happy again, but people who want tons of backdrops will be mad. If I add more backdrops then the retail studios get frustrated.

Hope you guys can help me. lol its bin a long day already. My mind is at a blank. I know i cant make everyone 100% happy. But maybe you can think of someway to balance my site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Re: HELP! What should i do

I find it hard to understand why a commercial shop would complain about having more backdrops for the same price. Yet, I understand why they would not want to have to look through hundreds more to find the ones they were used to using.

Would it be possible to categorize the backdrops ? If I were a commercial customer, I would want to be able to either (a) click a link for standard commercial backdrops, or (b) use a drop down filter for the same outcome. I would not want to have to visually compare the backdrops and try to identify the ones I used to use.

If I were a non-commercial customer, I would be fine with looking through them for a few minutes or more. In fact it may be fun. Although, I would prefer to pay based on my downloads, not a yearly fee. (Better for me, not for you )

Thus, for commercial customers it could be related to time, efficiency, standardization.... not so much the offering.

Hope this is helpful.
Best of luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2008, 02:41 PM

If you are your own webmaster then you can throw up a second site for non comercial use and offer tons of BD maybe for slightly less money. I know my website is only running me about $40 usd per year.
With your origional site I would difinatly cater to the needs of your pro clients and go back to a time when you had no complaints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2008, 04:27 PM

My personal preference is for gray scale versions. I can have more control over the color in PS that way. A little more work, but for the drapes, for example have a page of just the gray scale which then links to various color versions? Tuff call.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2008, 04:46 PM

Have a link that goes to the "1000s of backdrops" collection and a second link to the "Studio" collection. Explain the difference between the two collections briefly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 PM

what about adding/enhancing search capabilities? or as TommyO suggested, categorize the backdrops in meaningful ways - it sounds like a good and easier option. Swampy makes a good point but it sounds like your customers are looking for the ready made/time saving option. i love the backdrops that i've seen so far just haven't taken the time to take you up on your terrific offer to retouch members. good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Smile Re: HELP! What should i do

Thanks you everyone for the advice. I was so stressed this morning , going on 24 hours being up, you just cant think anymore. Im going to redo the site in a whole new way. A mix of everything you all have suggested. I will post an update with the changes. I just woke up and the 8 hours of sleep was nice. I can think again. Im planning on redoing the categories. Also im going to add New categories,---- senior teen styles, baby styles, master studio set. Then im going to put the backdrops we use the most in my own studios in those categories. Im also changing the way i advertise the site. Im going to focus more on how the site can help a studio. And advertising it less of a stock backdrop site. Plus Im going to offer cd sets again. For those who want to just have the backdrops mailed to them. Im going to add a monthly option at $15.00 a month again. (Still $15.00 a year for protouchpro members) And the year option. Hopefully these small changes will make it great for everyone. Thanks for all your advice. I know i can always get help from you all here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website