RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Personal Site for retouching.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 AM

Personal Site for retouching.

Hello to all,

I have created a simple html website in which I would eventually like to have
customers send there photos to my site and then I resend the digital altered photoback to them. I wanted to know if there is anything specific I should look for when getting a webhost. Can the webhost create the option for me for transfer of files between the client and myself??

What are some things to look for in a webhost?? I'm using a mac platform if that makes a difference. Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 AM

Re: Personal Site for retouching.

Of course, it really depends on exactly what you want to do, and how you want to accomplish it, but any site that supports any sort of server side scripting, and file transfer, (And most do,) will suffice. You will need some server side scripting to store an uploaded file, and you would probably want to give users the ability to send you and email directly from your side, whether they have email capabilities or not. Making the file available as a download, is easy. Just post or send them a link to it.

There are many places you can go to get these services. I use Dot5hosting.com, that will do everything you need for about $5/month, and I am very happy with them. But google for web hosting services and you will find all kinds of suppliers just eager to sell you a plan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM

If you're on a mac and have a .mac account why not use your iDisk for transferring files. Your clients can access your public folder to upload and download files (doesn't matter if their on a mac or PC)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmen View Post
Hello to all,

I have created a simple html website in which I would eventually like to have
customers send there photos to my site and then I resend the digital altered photoback to them. I wanted to know if there is anything specific I should look for when getting a webhost. Can the webhost create the option for me for transfer of files between the client and myself??

What are some things to look for in a webhost?? I'm using a mac platform if that makes a difference. Any input would be appreciated.
what type of alteration are u offering?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 AM

I have created a way for a client to upload an image through my website which basically stores the image on an Ftp. After I download it and make corrections to the image, what would be the best method to send back to client?? I'm a little confused as to how I would return the image to the client.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 AM

You can upload it in the same way that you upload other assets for your site and just give them a direct link that they can access via a web browser that will download the file as soon as they enter the url. Or you can give them your log in details to access it via their own ftp client if they have one (doubtful in my experience)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Payne View Post
You can upload it in the same way that you upload other assets for your site and just give them a direct link that they can access via a web browser that will download the file as soon as they enter the url. Or you can give them your log in details to access it via their own ftp client if they have one (doubtful in my experience)
Hi,

i can teach you a trick that might works for you. Download this software call DropBox(www.mydropbox.com) and it will create a folder call Dropbox for you on your mac/PC (they have both version). Any files that you copy into that folder will be backup online to their server.

So here is the trick. There is a folder call public inside and it allows anyone to access the files in it. Once you copy your work into the public folder, right click on the file and you should see dropbox > copy public link.

So every file in that public folder has a public url that you can email to your customers. they can directly download their work from there.

Seamless.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website