Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Comments on website please

Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Comments on website please

Hi, I just started my website and was wondering if I could get some feedback on it. I would like to know if there should be some changes made to it or not. The site is
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Re: Comments on website please

It's a nice site to start with. And good job with the restorations.

I have some things that you might want to keep in mind:

-Upon viewing the homepage, there is a huge empty space to the right. Also my monitor resolution is 1680x1050 and I had to maximize my firefox window in order to view the full page. Not everybody has a high a resolution as I do so it would be difficult and painful for them to keep scrolling to view the full webpage. As I know it, webpages are optimized for 1024x768. I presume you could even go for 1280x1024 since widescreen is today's standard.

-Personally, to me, the website doesn't look too professional. It seems a little outdated. Like a website from the 90's. Perhaps look into developing a site more flash based? Such as
There were some other people who have posted their websites on here, some flash based and they are excellent examples.

-If it's a small business type, I'd venture to say to consider a forum to offer tips, advice, FAQs, and what not. To build customer relations and what not, you know?

So, those are my suggestions. Understand that I have high expectations and was being rather critical. It is a good site overall. It's a good start. Of course there are limitations as to what to you are able to make given your skills, if you designed the website yourself. If hiring a third party developer isn't an option, and you lack necessary skills. You could just use a simple clean html layout. I'm not much of a pro web designer myself. But those are my thoughts. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2009, 03:29 AM

I agree, your website doesn`t look porfessional at all.
Some thinks i woud change:

1. background color. I`d use white or maybe any other solid color. The clouds are distracting and they don`t look professional.
I know that you are not a web designer but if you work with PS , you have to do better than render clouds.

2.Banner font is really bad, if you don`t have a good reason to use unusual fonts try first some basic web designer fonts as : Heveltica, Arial, Georgia,Curier, Verdana (you can find some more names at google: web designers fonts). They will look normal but correct. And then you can try some experiments if you really feel you need to.

3.Some of the sections as: other services, contact, upload are aligned to left and the rest is centered.

4.Content font is a way to big

I know there is a lot of critics but if you wanna good website you have to consider them.
If you have problems with HTML or CSS try to find some free templates or you can even buy starting from 10$.
And whats important look at the other websites.

This is mine, not finishes yet but still you can look:
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 PM

... or you can buy one for 50$ here and look pro:
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 PM

I concur with what has already been said, here.

There are other approaches that you can consider for your site:

Use a CMS such as Mambo, or Joomla! - though these may have a steep learning curve there are video courses that will show you how to use them to their maximum benefit for site such as yours.
And, since you offer web site design in your "other services" this may be an additional venue through which you may generate revenue: by offering to create this type of web site for others.
Speaking of other services, consider placing each type of service offered on its own page, including sample work that you have done.

If you decide to go with a pre-designed template (although, since you design web pages this may not be desirable to you) remember that you will still need to edit and personalize the template to suit/match your site's style, etc. If Flash is involved you may need to have Flash in order to edit the FLA files that may be included with said templates.

Just start simple; get your sample work out there to see, just like you have now - then work on one page at a time. Visit other sites for ideas and inspiration - ask the owners of those sites how they achieved a certain effect or style. Soon enough you will flesh out the rest of your site and it will then showcase all that you can do and offer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 AM

It's a great to watch it. A very good effort it was. But you should use some solid colour like whit perhapes. Some of the sections as: other services, contact, upload are aligned to left and the rest is centered. I like Big font unlike other.
Over all it's anice site.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website