RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

www.shiftstudio.ca

Old 04-19-2009, 08:35 AM

www.shiftstudio.ca

After countless hours, I finally have my website finished!
The images are large at the expense of load time - a tradeoff I was willing to accept.

Have a look if the urge strikes.

www.shiftstudio.ca

-

Last edited by shift studio; 04-19-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2009, 09:47 AM

Re: www.shiftstudio.ca

Some impressive stuff there
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2009, 10:46 AM

very nice...what did you use to create the website?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2009, 11:25 AM

Brilliant!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2009, 11:29 AM

yes, very good technically.

too many images though, very slow loading... i can't imagine anyone spending hours looking at all the images... especially because a lot of them are practically the same.

i think that a website should be an introduction to someone's work and if a potential clients want to see more, they ask for large files, other images or print portfolio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2009, 12:00 PM

I don't think it takes too long at all

I have something against the design of the website.... a bit too "photoshop looking" with the "3Dish" logo and buttons - really dislike that.

Your work is great tho, worth to wait for it (even tho as i said before it's not long to wait AT ALL)

Keep it up, love your eye for it!

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2009, 04:10 PM

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
very nice...what did you use to create the website?
Its a flash website driven by xml. The flash developer took my functionality and design and scripted it.

Quote:
yes, very good technically.

too many images though, very slow loading... i can't imagine anyone spending hours looking at all the images... especially because a lot of them are practically the same.

i think that a website should be an introduction to someone's work and if a potential clients want to see more, they ask for large files, other images or print portfolio.
The slowness ... some people experience it, some don't. I personally always wanted to see higher-res images when browsing portfolios - so I went for it.

The number of images ... not surprised ... I found it difficult to hold myself back. I'm considering trimming the fat. In the meantime viewers can look at as much or as little as they want.

Quote:
I don't think it takes too long at all

I have something against the design of the website.... a bit too "photoshop looking" with the "3Dish" logo and buttons - really dislike that.

Your work is great tho, worth to wait for it (even tho as i said before it's not long to wait AT ALL)

Keep it up, love your eye for it!
Believe it or not, I tend to hate 3D-ish logos too, but when I applied the treatment to mine, I liked it ... go figure.

The look of the rest of the site ... well not surprisingly, I really like it!
I'm not surprised that its not everyone's cup of tea.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM

I think the treatment to the logo looks fine, I might be inclined to choose a different font but that just me. I personally prefer simple and not too stylized fonts.

One thing you might want to consider is changing the way the thumbnails are displayed. When I scrub through the thumbnails i sometimes get in this limbo of them sliding up and down and I feel like that could get annoying.

Maybe just making the sliding down a bit quicker and not quite so much easing, and maybe just making the rollover box for showing them bigger, so it's not as easy to hide them... it also seems easy to miss the thumbnails all together if you don't hover over the box long enough.

I agree with Sinisa I would trim down some of the work shown, so its not so overwhelming. I know its hard to do that with your own work so maybe you can get someone to help you narrow it down.

Otherwise I love the interface, especially the ability to zoom. Someday when I get around to v2 of my site I will definitely try to incorporate something like that.

and of course you work is top notch, keep it up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
One thing you might want to consider is changing the way the thumbnails are displayed. When I scrub through the thumbnails i sometimes get in this limbo of them sliding up and down and I feel like that could get annoying.

Maybe just making the sliding down a bit quicker and not quite so much easing, and maybe just making the rollover box for showing them bigger, so it's not as easy to hide them... it also seems easy to miss the thumbnails all together if you don't hover over the box long enough.
I have a hard time replicating the 'limbo of them sliding up and down', but I have made it happen at least once. I was hoping it was a fluke.
I'll see what the programmer says.

Quote:
I agree with Sinisa I would trim down some of the work shown, so its not so overwhelming. I know its hard to do that with your own work so maybe you can get someone to help you narrow it down.
Okay. Its tough but I'll get on it.

Quote:
Otherwise I love the interface, especially the ability to zoom. Someday when I get around to v2 of my site I will definitely try to incorporate something like that.

and of course you work is top notch, keep it up.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 PM

okay, I've trimmed by about 25%. I think thats how it will stay for now.

--shift studio
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website