RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

how can I allow people to send my your photos???

Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM

Re: how can I allow people to send my your photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel123 View Post
This is the link to PHP code for file upload.

http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_file_upload.asp

Pavel
Watch out, this script limits you to 20kb .gif or .jpegs only. You'll have to change that if you want anything useful out of it. Even after you change it your server might not let you go more than 7 or 8 MB. If you want more than that you will have to alter your .htaccess and php.ini. If your host even lets you do that you need to know what your doing. Things can get messed up very easily.

I'm currently looking for a better solution than what I have for my page so I will report back if I figure out anything good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 AM

If you have a subscription to a file transfer service such as yousendit, you can simply add a link in your website to your personal drop box. This is what I do and so far, have never had any problems. The client uploads their photos, I receive an email letting me know it is there, I download the file, restore/retouch it, then send it back to the client once complete. Easy peasy! and it costs less than $100 per year.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 PM

If you have a professional grade account for your website (supporting server side scripting) this can be achieved with several techniques. Although there may be some limitations for the upload sizes of files. But for average image sizes this is mostly doable without any problems. There must be a directory on the server which allows storing files.

And yes, this is a coding issue. You definately should hire a programmer or use a professional server script for that.

Jason
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSFphoto View Post
Watch out, this script limits you to 20kb .gif or .jpegs only. You'll have to change that if you want anything useful out of it. Even after you change it your server might not let you go more than 7 or 8 MB. If you want more than that you will have to alter your .htaccess and php.ini. If your host even lets you do that you need to know what your doing. Things can get messed up very easily.

I'm currently looking for a better solution than what I have for my page so I will report back if I figure out anything good.
You actually can configure the script to change limits and file extensions.
Most servers have a limit around 8MB upload size per file. You should take a look at the PHPinfo() page/function on the server for the exact limits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jason_ View Post
You actually can configure the script to change limits and file extensions.
Most servers have a limit around 8MB upload size per file. You should take a look at the PHPinfo() page/function on the server for the exact limits.
Yeah, Changing the script is easy work. Changing the 8MB is a harder task. Some hosts don't let you do it. I use Dreamhost and they seem cool with letting you change it. but it's not exactly easy or fun. I'm still trying to find an easy way to make it work for for others. I have currently abandon that project for a while to take care of the actual image work that is backing up on me.

About the 3rd party stuff... Personal opinion is that I would like to try to stay away from them. I am already paying for my hosting which can do what I need done. Why pay for something else? Don't get me wrong I use YouSendIt and love it! I just want more control (yes I know YouSendIt is free under 1 gig or something like that)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 PM

What's the problem with those 8MB limit?
A picture for displaying on the web usually has a few kilobytes!

A high resolution image from a CANON 500D SLR (max. resolution and highest quality JPEG) has actually only around 5 MB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Janitor

We xfer files for the show using http://www.yousendit.com
Free and simple, or you can pay a little to make it more complicated (it sounds like what you'd like is their dropbox, which would be their $10/month plan). But the free plan would work just fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Clients send me files that are at min 13 MB threw 100+MB. On a large job I can get over a GB worth of files. I don't accept jpgs that often unless they are super crispy and even then I try not to. Usually I get a RAWs or Tiffs and sometimes a PSD with a notes and a markup layer. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I ran into a photog that shot or sent me a jpeg besides my mother. My main client Just upgraded from the H3D to the H4D which sends me 8bit TIFFs @ 120 MB.

The server that My site is on is faster than the speeds I can get threw YouSendIt or DropBox. This is the main reason I'm trying to make the most out of the stuff I already own. Luckily I convinced some of them to download and use Transmit or whatever client they prefer to help with the heavy lifting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 AM

Well, if you have clients, you surely should use other methods.
The upload feature to a server per HTTP is merely useful for small to medium files and community websites like this one. Not for high end product transfer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 03:47 AM

download this script:

http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/at...5&d=1143972935

- this is a free working version. Description is here:

http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=101466
-------------------------------------
open this page in text editor:

multiple.upload.form.php

and change the size of a file to this value:

// set a max file size for the html upload form
$max_file_size = 700000000; // size in bytes

you should be OK.
Reply With Quote top