RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Best way for clients to send photos

Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 AM

Question Best way for clients to send photos

Hello everyone!
I am new to the forum and I am really enjoying reading all of the posts.
I am in the early throes of building my own website for retouching and restoration.
I am wondering what you all think is the best way to have clients send me their photos? I am intending on keeping it all online and not really interested in having people send by mail. So, is it good to have them e-mail their photos or should I have a way for them to upload from the website? I am not sure how to implement an upload feature, so any suggestions would be helpful.
At the moment I am working with Frontpage (not the best, but it's what I have).
I would appreciate any information.
Thanks!
Kathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 AM

Re: Best way for clients to send photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmgck View Post
Hello everyone!
I am in the early throes of building my own website for retouching and restoration.
I am wondering what you all think is the best way to have clients send me their photos? I am intending on keeping it all online and not really interested in having people send by mail. So, is it good to have them e-mail their photos or should I have a way for them to upload from the website? I am not sure how to implement an upload feature, so any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks!
Kathy
FTP all the way.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 AM

I use FTP too, but I suppose your needs might be different. The files I work on are never small enough to email, and FTP might not be exactly user friendly.

Maybe you can set up a thing on your site where people can navigate to their files and upload them right there...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 AM

A pretty simple way to do it - as long as your web hosting provider supports PHP. Make a simple HTML form using these tags <input type="file">. This allows the user to browse their computer and select a file to upload.

Do a search on the web for PHP form processing. There are some PHP scripts that cost around $20 dollars. They are simple to use and implement on your site and require no knowledge of PHP to make work. These scripts will allow the users to upload files directly to your site as well as email them to you if you wish.

I have used them before and they work great. Many of them already come with the html markup for the form as well, so you can just do a copy and paste into your Frontpage program.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 03:47 PM

Just a few images clients can zip them and send them by email. But more then a few you need ftp.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 PM

One word people

Dropbox

http://www.getdropbox.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2009, 03:01 PM

Hi,
I use a Dreamweaver plug-in and it is a piece of cake to use - this is the resulting page on my site
http://www.repair-photo.com/photo_upload.php

It is pretty slick an easy to use....but needs Dreamweaver.
Regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmgck View Post
Hello everyone!
Thanks!
Kathy
Kat,

If you are still in the design phase of the web site and are still considering options for allowing clientele to upload images to you there are various open source (i.e.: free to use) PHP scripts that you can use on your web site.
Among them are:
Depending on your expertise, or that of the person configuring your web site these may be beneficial to you.
Of course, there are plenty of pay-license scripting you can buy; and lastly you may have someone custom code/program what you are needing.

Hope that helps answer what you are seeking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM

If you have someone else design your site you should not pay more then $25.00 at the most to have them configure the file upload for you. Heck with my company we offer that ability free and its included with our website hosting. If you are using a free hosting company or a low end hosting, they may not allow for file uploading so if you are trying free php scripts and they are just not working, that may be the reason.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website