RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Please critique my fairly new website:

Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 AM

Re: Please critique my fairly new website:

Great website look!

Ramblings, "my perception"

the price structure is more complicated than I would think most customers want to see.
My brain says, lose the .98 when stating "from". Lose the "firm" also.

Some photos appear worse but are easier to restore from our point of view.
Such as your first photo, which is the cheapest but looks really hard to correct.
Make sure your lowest to highest price photo restore examples appear to
warrant the spread in price from the customer's point of view.

Last edited by aartist; 09-14-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Believe it or not, the first WAS easiest for me to correct, as are ALL color, exposure and contrast faded photos. Did you click on each photo pair to bring up the details of the problems needing correction? Anyway, they have ALL been placed in a carefully graduated spectrum of difficulty level for my abilities, workflow techniques and proprietary methods.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 AM

Aartist, you are a good critic, and you offer excellent advice. I am still not totally familiar with navigating RetouchPro, so let me know how I can also see some examples of your work. Do you have a website? What is your specialty?

Sometimes I make things far more complicated than they need to be. The price structure is now more simplified on my site, and, I believe, much easier to understand. Also, please take a look at the explanation of photo restoration pricing on my Services page. Thank you so much for your help. Additional suggestions from you and other members are still welcome and encouraged.

Rhonda
Dazzle Imaging at http://www.dazzleimaging.net
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2009, 07:12 PM

R Dinwiddie, I do restoration also.
Take suggestions with a grain of salt, as you must decide what works best for you.
Sometimes input is helpful and sometimes its not.
Only trying to be helpful and hope you much success!

Your work is superb...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 PM

Oops! I failed to save/publish the changes that I made to my Services page that I told you about in my last post, and I lost them, so you didn't see them. All is redone and now published.

Aartist, you have been very helpful in spurring me on to make clear communication a top priority on my site. Thank you so much for your kindness. Rhonda
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 PM

R-
I'll leave the retouching critique to others, but the words "Photo Black Magic" are negative and somewhat offensive. The fact that there's a before and after of a woman of color right next to that title just makes it worse.
-S
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM

I am very sorry if you find the term offensive, but it is certainly not intended. It is a common term, and if you'll do a Google search you will find just how common it is. It is used on my site only to emphasize the almost miraculous character of the work that I do and has nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin. I love people of any color, period. If that were not true, I would have no customers among "people of color." As it is, you will notice that a very high percentage of my customers are in this group, and I have many testimonials from them praising my work. To me there is just one race, the human race. The tag line will remain unchanged.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 PM

In addition, if you will use the navigation bar to check out all 5 pages, you will see that the tag line, "Photo Black Magic," is used in the same position on all five, but it is next to photos of people with different skin colors on the different pages including my own on my "About Me" page. Do you really think that some kind of racial epithet was intended, knowing this? If you do, I can only sigh in disbelief. I think that people who are overly sensitive on these kinds of issues need to thoroughly check things out before making these kinds of comments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Not to be "beating a dead horse," but it just so happens that I am in growing business relationship with a professional photographer for whom I will soon be her webmistress. We are good friends and are frequently in contact with each other on a weekly, if not daily, basis offering one another suggestions for improving our businesses. She is a top-notch African-American business woman who knows me well and for whom I have provided numerous photo-editing services. As she also is excellent in English grammar, punctuation and sentence structure, I asked her to review my site for any improvements that she might suggest. That was about a week ago. She has seen it and has offered no suggestions. I showed her your post, and she just laughed hysterically. Need I say more? I won't, unless someone else would like to offer their "two cents" worth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2009, 02:37 PM

Well, I was going to drop this... If you re-read my post, you'll see the issue was not about the black woman- it was an aside.
I believe you asked for critiques of your website. Perhaps you were just seeking positive reinforcement for your work- of which I still won't comment.
I guess the mention of Black Magic in California is not a big deal, but for most of the country it's a turn off.
You can plaster pentagrams all over your site as far as I'm concerned. I was giving you an honest opinion about an impression I had when I viewed your site.
In any case, I wish you success.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website