RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Please critique my fairly new website:

Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 PM

Re: Please critique my fairly new website:

Thank you, and I wish you the same. And, even though you did not invite a comment on your retouching, I will offer it. It all looks good to me.

For the rest of the "audience" not in the state of California, please relay your "impressions." Does the "Photo Black Magic" tag line carry a negative impression for you? I will reconsider removing or changing it if there are as many as 20% negative responses among 10 or more. And, please identify what part of the USA or the world you are from. Again, thanks in advance to everyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2009, 03:00 AM

Photo Magic
Where your photo meets it's better half. <-----LOVE THIS

There can be a negative feeling attached to "Black Magic", not because of color but because it's associated with "bad" magic or magic that can harm. I overlooked it and I'm in the Mid-West but some may make another connection as twopoint0 says. I did not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 AM

Prepare for additional equine whipping!

I replied to your other thread (on work itself) before seeing this one on "site content."

Based on my initial look at the selection of b/a examples, my first take was you specialized in African-American restorations, all exceptionally well done I might add. Not a problem; just an observation.

Then I noticed the "Black Magic" tag. In these days of trying to show more racial and gender awareness / respect than in the past, "Black Magic" raised a red flag with me too. [fwiw: I'm Caucasian]

Although I have zero doubts about your intentions, your colleague laughed it off and the Google research is supportive, none of that will mean squat to a potential customer who could be turned off. If it wuz me I'd consider using something else, like "Photo Magic!" to avoid any possibility of misunderstanding.

My .02.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM

A big thank you to Aartist and Danny for your impressions. If there are any African-American members who would like to contribute, please, by all means do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Well, although I'm still not convinced that anyone would really take offense at the "Photo Black Magic" tag line, rather than take any chances at all, I've decided to replace it with "Where Your Photo Meets Its Better Half" on all of my pages. I would never have caught that impression, but, since several of you have, it's "better to be safe than sorry." Thank you fellow members for great advice. And, I apologize to 2pointO for whipping a horse that wouldn't die.

Rhonda
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 AM

Rhonda- Apology accepted! It stands to your character to accept and to actually act on advice you don't necessarily agree with.
I've taken criticism many times over the years from clients. I would defend my work, but eventually realized that if they're paying the tab, I better follow their direction, even if they were wrong. At the end of the day, it's all about making a living, which I hope you will be successful in, as long as you're not competing with me! .
-Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Steve, you are a classy guy. I really appreciate your warm wishes for success even though I was so negative toward your thoughts at first. It's marvelous to see all of the cooperation here even knowing that it can result in growing competition. I'm thinking that there are probably very many more practical ways in which we all could cooperate to brighten the emotional and financial bottom lines for all of us at the same. Many heads are better than one, and networking for the benefit of all is a wonderfully stimulating and creative adventure. I love this group, and I am so happy I joined.

Rhonda

Rhonda
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website