RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

GoldenOnes: new retouching website

Old 02-09-2010, 01:12 PM

GoldenOnes: new retouching website

Hi all,
I just registered on RetouchPro. I just finished my retouching site. I included some very dramatic photo-manipulation (just to show what's possible) as well as some more subtle enhancements. The site has relatively high-res images, so it takes a while to load and requires high-speed internet.

Take a peek if you have a moment!

www.goldenones.com

Robin
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 PM

Re: GoldenOnes: new retouching website

Really nice website, man!
I like the music very much.

Remark: Being a Flash developer, I have the debug version of the Flash player installed. sometimes in the galleries there pops up an error dialog with the folowing messege

"
TypeError: Error #1009: Der Zugriff auf eine Eigenschaft oder eine Methode eines null-Objektverweises ist nicht möglich.
at goldenones_fla :: DTVMC_47/smoothImage()
"

You should debug the application because there is obviously a problem.

Jason
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 PM

... meaning it's actually a NULL pointer near the function smoothImage().

Also, there unfortunately is no progress bar indicating picture download in the gallery.
That's confusing anyhow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 PM

I don't know who did your website (yourself?), but it's very nice. Clean, simple, to the point. I really like the option to see the before and afters in smaller and full-screen sizes.
It all fits well heh.
You should be happy with the results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Nice website, you have some nice examples! I relay like your color correction.
The only thing that personally bothers me is the music. I really hate when I go to a website and my speakers are pounding away while I'm panicky looking how to turn it off.
But that's just me. My opinion is that photographers/retouchers website should be more like a frame on an painting. It should compliment the image, not overtake it. If it were were a wedding studio website it makes sense to create a mood for your visitors/customers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the kind responses! I didn't even realize until now that anyone had responded on this thread.

jason, thanks for your comment about the as3 error. i've noticed this too, but i can't seem to figure out why i'm getting it. it only happens when i click back onto the thumbnail of the first image. it hasn't seemed to affect the behavior of the flash movie though, so i'm ignoring it for now–at least until i get some inkling as to why it's happening. i learned some as3 just to build this site, but i am in no way an expert. if i had to do it over, i'd probably get someone else make it. way too complicated for someone who does not ever intend to become a flash developer.

instead of the progress bar, i opted for the flashing "loading high-res image" text at top. i might change this at some point. does anyone else find this problematic?

thanks again!

robin
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 PM

I agree with the majority in saying: great website.
A few comments:
- Many people actually don't like to be forced to listen to the music, I've heard this comment many times over. Not sure if "mute" button or volume control would be an option...

Orange on a dark brown background is a bit difficult to read, too low contrast
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2010, 10:11 PM

thanks for your comments pavel123, i know that there is a lot of controversy about whether or not to use music on websites. milans is also against it. i put a mute button in a pretty conspicuous place (or so i thought), so people have the option to turn it off. i also tried to choose extremely understated music. so far i've had about 30 positive comments about the music and two negative. given that, i've chosen to keep it on there for the moment. if i start getting a lot of negative comments, i will definitely reconsider.

as far as the contrast issue is concerned, i agree it isn't ideal for legibility but i have not found a design solution i like better at the moment. it's also tricky, because that brown looks black on some monitors and lighter than i'd like on other monitors. i much prefer print design, because there is a little more control in the output (although print can certainly be a pain in the butt too).

well, it's a work in progress, and i definitely appreciate all your thoughts, positive or negative

robin
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website