RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

CSS style sheets

Old 06-15-2002, 07:53 PM

CSS style sheets

ok...I'm relatively new at this, so do not laugh at my ignorance!

Does anyone know anything about Cascading Style Sheets? I have started to use these as a time saver and so I can have consistent formatting across all my pages. I'm currently working on 3 sites: A photo restoration site, my art gallery and a poetry e-zine, so any way I can save time on creating and updating the sites will be a good thing!

My main question has to do with defining a: tags for rollovers (a:hover, a:visited, etc...). I defined the a: tag and hover....everything goes smooth, but is there any way to use the a:visited tag and still retain the rollover?

In other words, I create a link and it lights up when the mouse hovers over it...but after clicking on the link and returning the hover effect no longer works. The link has changed to the "visited" color, but is there any way to still have the hover effect?

I know it's a silly question but if anyone has any advice or a link to some good info, it would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 09:40 PM

hmm..just figured out a way to do it! Still, if anyone has any good advice for utilizing things like style sheets, I would love to pick your brain...I feel a little lost.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 10:23 PM

Don't know much about CSS, but I'd love to visit your poetry e-zine when you have it up...

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 10:40 PM

I use CSS all the time, however not necessarily those commands. I can't think of it right off the top of my head, but try posting to a newsgroup - do a search in google groups for the best one - maybe there is one just for css. You usually get tons of info pretty quickly that way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 11:03 PM

chiquitita- I'm finding style sheets to be a huge time saver, especially for sites I constantly update and add to. My problem right now is trying to figure out how CSS interacts with existing html formatting, etc... I'll check out a few newsgroups and see if that helps me out.

Jak- It's actually my brother's site...and of course, I got drafted into doing all the layout and graphics! Needless to say, the job does not pay well The next issue is due out July 1st and of course we decide to redo the entire layout! I decided to try and make use of some time saving elements this time, like CSS...getting in over my head. But, what I learn now, I can apply to my photo restoration site which is also in progress. I am pulling some all nighters because his poetry site is really starting to take off....last issue he published a poem by a 1990 Pulitzer nominee (Charles Fishman), so i figured it would be best to make the site look REALLY nice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2002, 05:13 AM

Off the top of my head A-List Apart has the best implementation of CSS I have ever witnessed (bold statement I know), they often have fascinating articles on all manner of web related topics. In my humble opinion, one of the most intelligent and inciteful sites for designers by designers

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/goingtoprint/

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/sizematters/

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear/index.html

If I find any more sites of interest I will post them up
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2002, 09:26 AM

Thanks Mike! Just the kind of links I was looking for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2002, 09:50 AM

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) are a great time saving device. A good book to purchase is Cascading Style Sheets, Designing For The Web by Hakon Wium Lie and Bert Bos. This book contains complete coverage of CSS1 and CSS2, background information and practical examples, as well as information on which browsers support which CSS features. The book is easy to follow even for a beginner.

There are also some great websites out there with tons of information on CSS.

Try these two:

Webmonkey

W3 CCC

Good Luck!

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2002, 10:02 AM

Re: CSS style sheets

Quote:
Originally posted by G. Couch
My main question has to do with defining a: tags for rollovers (a:hover, a:visited, etc...). I defined the a: tag and hover....everything goes smooth, but is there any way to use the a:visited tag and still retain the rollover?

Use a visited:hover tag with the style you want.

The below is an example of a style sheet I used for one of my web sites. I wanted certain elements to behave in certain ways. “tL” is one style I created. Every time I want an element to behave in that way, I would tag it with the “tL” style which would trigger the CSS.

<style>
<!--
/* Department header style sheet */

body { background-color: white; font-face: arial, verdana, sans-serif }
a { color: #000000; text-decoration: none }
a:hover { background-color: #FFFF10; color: #000000; text-decoration: none }
.tL { color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: none }
.tL:hover { background-color: #000000; color: #FF3300 }
.tL:active { color: #FFFFFF }
.tL:visited { color: #FFFFFF }
.tL:visited:hover { color: #FF3300 }
-->
</style>

Hope this helps!

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2002, 07:24 PM

T - Thanks!!! visited:hover is exactly what I was looking for...I figured such a tag had to exist! thanks for all the good links as well...I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can right now. The custom tag you posted is actually starting to make sense to me!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website