RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Restoration & Portraiture site updated

Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Restoration & Portraiture site updated

Hello. My site offers restorations and enhancements services for all the levels and prices. The actual image fits better with the vintage style of the most of the works I´m doing for my clients. I hope you´ll like it.
http://restorations.yolasite.com

Regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM

Talking Re: Restoration & Portraiture site updated

Is refreshing to see a site like yours out there on the web. Personally i love ornate and antique things, and with your goal of attracting restoration clients i think your site will work nicely. I do have some technical issues I think are really important to address however. The first thing i noticed on your site was the load time. I'm a on a pretty fast connection and it took upwards of 3 seconds to load your backgrounds. We're all getting spoiled with broadband, but after looking at the size of the background images, i think they could be compressed much further (1.2-1.8mb is pretty steep for a single background image). Though they are large images, i think you could push the compression much further. That brings me to issue 2), which is the background images repeating. I think you'll be fine with 98% of people out there viewing the site correctly, but do know that people on high res monitors (especially around here) are going to see a repeating background image on most of your pages. I'm running 1920x1200 for reference. Last critique item would be to perhaps rework the links at the top of the pages. The rest of the site has that great vintage look going, but those links are a standard and rather boring font. I would experiment with making some image maps for those links with some fancy script or something similar to help bring it all together. Overall I think you're on a great track, just need to address some of the technical things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Re: Restoration & Portraiture site updated

Thank you so much for your kind comments. It's really refreshing for me hear this. In fact, my web site has not quite a lot of movement. Now and then it comes something but nothing I was looking for, some stable long term relationship with some site or company in the brand. My work is 98% for the local photo studios and people in the brand here in Venezuela and it's a lot, I can't complain about. I was trying to expand this with foreign people, specially from the USA but this is not easy. Many times people looks for the lowest price and pay not attention to the quality. These days someone was offering 200 Euros for 2000 studio pictures fast retouch and enhancements... No way. I'm very clear about, this kind of retouch I'm doing it is not the most wanted. Most of the resellers say first "how much?" and even with very attractive prices they are looking for less.
About the site, what can I say? I'm some newbie in this item, I'm not an expert and was using the resources the blog gives to me and some more images, backgrounds etc I found on my PC. The vintage pics I used are from my wife's family, some 3 generations in the past. I know they have some comments there, in the heaven They are finally on the web
Maybe I should consult some expert to help and I think you're right, sometimes it's a little slow. I'm not sure yet if this "vinage look" is good or not, seriously, I still have my doubts. You know, sometimes the line between vintage and boring-old-fashioned is so thin... At least I'm glad you like it. I'll try to do something you suggested as soon as I'll have some time.
Thakn you again 2mitts,
Florin Safner
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 11:06 PM

Glad to offer my experience, and I'm glad you're taking my thoughts to heart. I agree that it is tough to walk that design line. I will admit I'm totally biased to vintage anything, so I may not represent the "masses" in this regard. What i think may be helpful and important is to get feedback from your old and new clients alike. If they have an opinion, then i would listen to that. Ultimately they are the ones that matter, what some "design expert" out of Europe says is kinda irrelevant if that's not your target market. Getting feedback is the best way to go in my opinion. On a technical note: Run those fantastic background images through the "save for web" option in PS, really play with the settings. I noticed some of the files were GIF, sometimes that's not the best choice for images, other times it is. Don't use a "one size fits all" approach. Play with the color pallets as well. You would be amazed at what you can get away with sometimes!

-I understand your feelings on the retouch market. I think it's only going to get worse personally. Anything that can be digitally transferred around the world will, and as a result, the value of our work goes down. Is a sad truth that this will continue until the global economy is an even playing field, and i don't see that happening in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 AM

I remember doing this, on PShop, "save for the web" and I coosed the .gif, seemed more "light" than the .jpg Anyway, I'll try again next days, you're right.

I have a lot of work here, I'm working even Sundays most of time but it's not the same when you have also foreign clients. Specialy when here we are very restricted with the $ currency, I need to buy things for upgrade my PC etc and we are allowed only US$ 400 a year. Many times I need the $ for work, not for fun.

I've been seeing you live in Arizona. I have a great friend in Phoenix. He's a musician pro like me (plays violin in Phoenix Symphony Orch.), we studied the same school, same high school, graduated and play together in the Radio-TV Symph. Orchestra in Bucharest-Rumania. In 1980-81 we left and get out, he went to the USA and I came to Venezuela. He's like a brother for me, great person, great photographer also, has a good collection of antiques cameras, runs a Harley, well, he's quite a big fellow.
He also owns in Phoenix with his wife a very nice pub:
http://www.thecoffeebuzz.net/Home_Page.php
If you live there or have some business arround must visit the place. Is very nice, they have some music sessions there, jazz, art etc. Say hello again from me please I'm thinking about some vacations there next year, let's see.

Have my best regards,
Florin S
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 PM

Wow what are the chances, your friends shop is right down the street! Lol, small world isn't it? When i get a chance I'll drop in and say hello for you. Look for a PM from me soon, would like to follow up with some information I think may be helpful for your site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM

What some good news! I'm really glad, man. I'm sure you'll like to meet this guy. He's an excellent friend, the kind of person anyone could be glad to share some time. He's crazy about photography, you'll see.
I still don't know what's your name. Thank you very much to share all this.
Florin
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 PM

Can you guys please suggest me the best service pack of windows for official purposes? I am fed up of using windows XP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 PM

Cathy,
Since I'm using the Windows 7 i have no problems.
If your PC holds it, make the change, it worth.
64 bit is still better, u can upgrade to 4, 8, 16 Ram gigas. Also, Photoshop runs both x32 and x64 bit versions.
Regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 AM

agreed windows 7 upgrade wll worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy Duncan View Post
Can you guys please suggest me the best service pack of windows for official purposes? I am fed up of using windows XP.
I'm in full agreement with Florin, I just did the move to Windows 7 professional X64 and for once I'm actually happy with a microsoft product! One area of caution: make sure you check whether or not there are windows 7 drivers available for your hardware (printers/scanner/etc), especially if you go X64. I found out the hard way that my older epson scanner was not supported after it was too late :/ Thankfully I don't do much scanning these days, but it was not a happy surprise.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website