RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Starting to try and take my business seriously!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM

Starting to try and take my business seriously!

G'day,

I have a hobby business at http://www.ThePhotoFixer.com.au that I have been running for about a year now. I have been very happy with the uptake as I only wanted to make enough to buy my toys (phone etc) each year without dipping into the family budget. Mission accomplished.

The site was first designed to be user friendly and quite simple for the 'older' generation to use. This is still a goal of mine. However, I have since started getting a lot more work, including coporate work. This has made me decide to set myself up a proper company (not just a business name) and to try and expand my client base in order to eventually (up to 3 years) leave work and do this full time.

Does anyone know of any good resources which may help me in my desire to learn about "getting my name out there" and doing this type of thing as a full time business?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Re: Starting to try and take my business seriously

"I only wanted to make enough to buy my toys" AWESOME!

I'm planning to launch a website to do the same. I'm keen to hear about what people suggest too. Well done with your success and good luck with the future.

Perhaps any run of the mill marketing/business book would help?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 PM

great job on getting WIX to work. I eventually gave up on WIX and went with Weebly. WIX websites are gorgeous but when I tried to make a design the elements would keep getting stuck to my stylus tip and get moved around.

Did you buy your domain name through GoDaddy?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2010, 12:38 AM

Yeah WIX is great for the non-programmer like me. No way I could have made a website and nice as that using other methods. It is not perfect, but simple - and I need that!

Nah I bought my domain through an australian company called crazy domains. Next year when it runs out I might upgrade WIX and get the years free domain with them.

Jeljones: Yeah I will be looking into general small business books, and thanks for the positive words

Last edited by TPF; 10-08-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 PM

I am also using WIX, but am not satisfied with it. Isn’t there any other option than that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy Duncan View Post
I am also using WIX, but am not satisfied with it. Isn’t there any other option than that?
You might try Yola or Weebly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 12:10 AM

I have tried a few, and for me, wix was the best. Simple to use and update. There are a couple of things I don't like or have had trouble with. Drop down menus and roll over images come to mind, but other than that, it is great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM

Hi Dean. I didn't realise you were an Aussie!

There are some great small business networks in Aus. Some of them are online plus you might find one in your local area. You should contact your local council to see what they have to offer. Most have a small business representative who organises networking events and lectures on topics which may be relevant to you. Mnay also offer free business mentoring in conjunction with the BEC (business Enterprise Centre). I have found business networks a great way to not just learn about business, but also to network.

Re. Setting up a company: Do you need to be a company? I assume you already have a registered business name and an ABN? You will find it much easier and less costly to simply trade as a sole trader until the need for a 'company', or other business structure.

Until you are earning over $75,000 you do not need to register for GST but must include the statemnt that "GST is not charged" on your invoices. The ATO website is another valuable resource.

You could also subscribe to magazines such as Anthill and NETT.

HTH

Carol
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info Carol!

I think I saw your site just as I was starting to do my webpage a year or so ago...but I am pretty sure you have changed it? Nice!

Yeah the wife wants to set it up as a company. She does office management and financial planning, so I just do as she says

Getting into the networking side of things will be hard for me, I don't tend to post of forums much or go to events......I am forcing myself to make an effort here and post a bit - will see how that goes! I am going to look into the networking groups etc though, otherwise I am sure I will get nowhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Yes, my website had a major makeover recently. The old one was incredibly daggy and whilst it worked well for my restoration clients, it simply wasn't appealing to my small business target market.

Networking can be hard but I have found it the cheapest and easiest way to learn and to meet potential clients. Word of mouth is the most powerful form of advertising so you just need to get your name out there and of course, make sure you treat your customers well. I find that one job leads to another.

I also do some public speaking and attend Genealogy conferences and events. I was completely shocked that no other photo restorers in my area were doing this when I first started. Now I get asked to attend events and even get paid for attending and speaking at some. This has by far been the best way I have found to reach the restoration clients. Perhaps you could consider doing something similar in Perth?

Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPF View Post
Thanks for the info Carol!

I think I saw your site just as I was starting to do my webpage a year or so ago...but I am pretty sure you have changed it? Nice!

Yeah the wife wants to set it up as a company. She does office management and financial planning, so I just do as she says

Getting into the networking side of things will be hard for me, I don't tend to post of forums much or go to events......I am forcing myself to make an effort here and post a bit - will see how that goes! I am going to look into the networking groups etc though, otherwise I am sure I will get nowhere.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website