RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Please have a look and give advice

Old 12-21-2010, 02:17 PM

Re: Please have a look and give advice

Cheers deZines, my father designed the logo a while back and I find it quite amusing. I really like the white that was the reason I went for the company I did, I know what you mean about stark but I've grown to really like it.
Selling work would be good but sadly most of my work is commercial and so not mine to sell.
Cheers and take it easy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM

I love the minimalist look you went for, very nice design and beautiful photos.
The initial load of the page took a while for me (somewhere around 30 seconds or so) longer than just about any site I've been to. Also the flash galleries load the pictures a bit slow. Flash websites have a tendancy to load slow. An alternative that would work for you would be using Jquery instead of flash. Jquery utilizes javascript to accomplish its effects, and loads in a fraction of the time that a flash website does.

Here's the thing. Your using Foliostop for your website, if you go to the foliostop web page at the bottom is a little shadowbox with pictures in it and arrows off to the sides so you can scroll through. That shadowbox is all jquery. Notice how when you click on it it doesn't have to load?

the jquery stuff is all server side flash is client side. client side stuff runs when the person viewing your site clicks on it or loads the page. Server side stuff such as jquery loads when the page loads. So after the page loads when people click on stuff bam it opens or displays the shadow box. Flash has its uses but, for what your doing, if you are able to I'd recommend using jquery instead.

Just my 2 cents but beautiful site all the same.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 AM

Hey cheers myrestor, just to clarify do you mean the foliostop I'm using is jquery or flash?
Sorry this is the first time I've heard of jquery.
Gareth
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 AM

Or is jquery a way of viewing websites, like a different version of flash?
Gareth
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 PM

Hey sorry for the confusion there. I meant that the foliostop your using is flash.
Jquery is for lack of better wording, shorthand for the web programing language javascript. It alows you to use javascript for many of the things you see flash used for such as photo galleries.

The catch is you don't have to know any javascript to use it. You do need to have a basic understanding of html, and css code however. It isn't flash at all, but like flash, is often used for animation effects, as well as other things.

If it sounds like something you'd be interested in, you can check out www.w3schools.com to learn the html and css basics if you don't already know them. also jquery.com is a fantastic resource for all things jquery. On it you can design all sorts of things that you can use in your website, and then download the files for those items.

Any Javascript for a web page loads before you see the web page load. Since jquery is essentially a shorthand version of javascript, there's no waiting when you use jquery for your photogallery or menus for example. once the page loads its all ready when you want it. no slow buffering or load times like with flash. Oh and Jquery is free, although there are a few companies out there that have some jquery effects you can buy if you really want to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Cheers man!
I do find this really interesting but in all honesty it's a little over my head, that's what I liked about the foliostop as it's a program on the computer hard drive and takes a few second to change or update. It is annoying it takes so long to load for some people, you get a misshapen view when you only use super fast broadband. It's only meant to be for a few people to view, just thought it'd be quicker than biking a paper portfolio.
The rough with the smooth I suppose.
Anyway cheers for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.
Gareth
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Simple and very nice, but logo is not very good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Insightful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 AM

I like the logo - traditional with a modern twist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Cheers repairman my father made it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website