RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Ideas would be so greatly appreciated!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 AM

Ideas would be so greatly appreciated!

So a quick backstory...I started using photoshop 2 weeks ago when a friend of mine who owns a local business asked if I could help on a project for a billboard because he didn't have time. I absolutely fell in love with photoshop. Apparently he gave my name to some other people and word quickly spread so now I'm flooded with business including a couple of minor celebrities and figured I should put a site together. I built this site myself using wix as I am on a limited budget so it's not the greatest but any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. I also wouldn't mind opinions of my work, you (or I at least) can tell the difference between the first couple of shots I did and the most recent. I am considering taking them down. None of my work is anywhere near the level of some of the shots I have seen on this site but I guess it's a learning process and I am taking my first photoshop class next month. I'm pretty sure it's going to be consisting of mostly the basics that I've already figured out but I didn't want to skip anything important. I've also learned how to calm down with the blur (but still have yet to figure out the D&B method after many hours of feeling like I'm going to pull my hair out.) Am I at the level I should be after a couple weeks of working with photos? I'd love some pro tips along with some site ideas!

www.digitalrevamp.com

Last edited by pinupgal; 11-28-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Re: Ideas would be so greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinupgal View Post
...I started using photoshop 2 weeks ago...
All of this in two weeks?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2010, 02:18 PM

I bought the books and CS4 last year when I was planning on taking a class but then ended up going through a divorce and not following through. I would use lightroom for some of my own photos. I guess I've been doing it for closer to a month but 2 weeks that I've actually known what I'm doing and felt comfortable taking some sort of payment for it (even though I charge very very little). I started experimenting with pics of myself that are on the site and then started advertising on MM and on craigslist for TFP. I was a model for 15 years so I understand what the outcome should look like (even though I don't feel like I always get there) and I taught myself CAD the same way. Thus far I have been using two books and online tutorials but for the past two weeks I spend every spare second I have figuring out photoshop. Probably why the D&B thing is aggravating me so much, it's the first thing I've found that I don't understand at all. I'm sure there are a billion other things that I am in the dark about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Hi pinupgal: I went to your page and saw your work. I'd say, you have a very good sense of what retouching is. I guess the majority of ppl here know that there's no technique that beats D & B. (sorry if this sounds harsh) Besides that, "speaking in the blur context" your work is very nice, but again we all know that blur won't cut it for what you are trying to do, (i mean a retouch gallery for a web page) even less in so short time. On the other hand we also know that D & B takes a long time to learn and apply.

Having this in mind, my advice is that you can start using the degrunge technique which is very simple and does not take you a lot of time because you can apply it very quick.
Here is a link, you can scroll the page down to see the express way to do it. link: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213

Another nice and fast tool you can use is, Skin Smooth which you can also get here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...in-smooth.html

You can use both of them with a bit of D&B and you'll get "nice results", at least in my opinion, better then just using blur. Don't forget to sharpen your images after you use these methods. And the best of all, you can get them for free.

I hope this helps... : )

Last edited by Boneappetit; 11-28-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2010, 07:57 PM

Thank you, I'm definitely going to check those out and apply them. I'm not sure what I'm missing when it comes to D&B. Conceptually I get it but I think I'm just missing a step somewhere because it literally isn't working at all. I don't mind it taking more time to get a great outcome, I think it's just one of those things that I'll have to find a really great tutorial on because all the ones that I have read so far just end up confusing me. I'm going to go ahead and mess around with the techniques you sent, couldn't hurt. For what I'm doing right now blur is working because I'm basically giving it away but once I actually get good I wouldn't mind doing this as more than a hobby.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinupgal View Post
Thank you, I'm definitely going to check those out and apply them. I'm not sure what I'm missing when it comes to D&B. Conceptually I get it but I think I'm just missing a step somewhere because it literally isn't working at all. I don't mind it taking more time to get a great outcome, I think it's just one of those things that I'll have to find a really great tutorial on because all the ones that I have read so far just end up confusing me. I'm going to go ahead and mess around with the techniques you sent, couldn't hurt. For what I'm doing right now blur is working because I'm basically giving it away but once I actually get good I wouldn't mind doing this as more than a hobby.
Yes, you are right. But if there's one thing you need on the learning of D&B, is patience because it really takes a lot of time. The D&B technique is something one needs to practice, practice and practice, and then practice more. Don't give up you'll get it. And in the meantime, I'm sure you are going to like those two methods.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Hmm... I can't get the plugin to work. Probably on my end since it's only the second I've ever tried to install. I'm pretty sure I'm putting it where it's supposed to go though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Ok, you need to put it in your Photoshop, plug ins/panels folder... Then when you open Ps look for it in, Windows/Extensions. If you encounter problems, drop a couple of lines here and I'll gladly help you...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 PM

Thanks, I actually figured it out right before I read this. I actually like it more than I expected I would. I've kind of stayed away from plugins and actions so that I could learn how to do things on my own first but this is super useful. I'm going to experiment with the other technique tomorrow and see which I prefer while I'm working out the D&B situation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 AM

Welcome to RetouchPro...have a look here for D&B
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...-download.html

Hope you find it helpful :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website